Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 01:21 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I thought Rochester had a soccer team
They have the Rochester Rhino's which played in the USL (step below MLS). They won 3 championships from 98-01 and were a frontrunner to gain a MLS expansion team.

In 2005 the Rhinos moved into the newly completed PAETEC Park, a 13,768-seat soccer-specific stadium. The Rhinos were considered a candidate to be an expansion team at the MLS level when PAETEC Park was in the planning stages.

The stadium was built in a horrible part of the city and everything fell apart after that. Even after winning another championship in 2015. They have been on hiatus for the last 2 years but plan to build a new stadium outside of the city and resume play in 2020. It really is a shame because soccer is huge in Rochester. The indoor team (Rochester Lancers) sell out consistently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 04:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Congratulations are in order for Saint Louis for securing the most recent MLS expansion team. This will be MLS team #28 when all is said and done. Originally the MLS stated its interest in expanding to a total of 28 teams (mission accomplished) but due to the high level of interest and high volume of expansion bid applications that cities across Canada and United States have demonstrated thus far in the application process, the MLS decided to instead expand to 30 teams, upping the amount by two.

So there are 2 more slots open for nearly a half-dozen or more cities to compete for. Detroit, Phoenix, San Diego, Las Vegas, Sacramento, San Antonio, Charlotte, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Louisville, and possibly a few others are left to compete with one another for the remaining 2 expansion slots.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...merican-soccer

Old 08-22-2019, 06:16 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I'd like to see Atlanta get another shot at the NHL, this time with an ownership group that cares about the product on the ice and isn't solely focused on the NBA like the last group was. Contrary to popular belief the Thrashers had fans, but you can't blame them for dressing as empty seats when the owners didn't care and were eager to sell at first chance. I am of the opinion that under an owner who does care, the city would be a lot more receptive to another NHL franchise than many will be willing to believe.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I'd like to see Atlanta get another shot at the NHL, this time with an ownership group that cares about the product on the ice and isn't solely focused on the NBA like the last group was. Contrary to popular belief the Thrashers had fans, but you can't blame them for dressing as empty seats when the owners didn't care and were eager to sell at first chance. I am of the opinion that under an owner who does care, the city would be a lot more receptive to another NHL franchise than many will be willing to believe.
They dont even show up for Falcons games
They like soccer though.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 PM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
Green Bay has an NFL team because its in the same market as Milwaukee, which doesn't have one. The Packers are really the team of all Wisconsin which is large enough to support the NFL because it contains Milwaukee.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:44 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
If this happened, it would be the city’s 3rd NHL franchise. People may not know that what are now the Calgary Flames played at the old Omni from 1972-1980 as the Atlanta Flames.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:57 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
I'm thinking if Albuquerque ever gets a major league team it will be MLS. The success of the New Mexico United in building its fanbase and attracting people to its games has been nothing short of amazing to watch. The team is leading all other USL Championship teams in attendance this season with an average of 13,297 people per match at the Isotopes Park baseball stadium. The team is beginning to plan for and pursue a new, soccer-specific stadium with up to 18,000 seats in the downtown area. The team often draws over 15,000 people to a match. If the team can continue this level of interest and community support and build the new stadium then I don't see why Albuquerque wouldn't be in the running for an MLS team soon.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019...ip-attendance/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_United

Old 08-23-2019, 02:03 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
After losing two NHL teams I'd be surprised if they get a third chance.

But Atlanta's loss has been Western Canada's gain.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:15 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
The Tampa Bay Rays are on their way to having their 8th winning season in the last 12 years with a World Series appearance included. They often can't get 10,000 people to show up. I know the ballpark and location is bad but I'm skeptical it will ever work. The Marlins opened a brand new state of the art retractable roof ballpark and it made no difference in their attendance--and that's then they had an exciting young team with Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yellich, Marcel Ozuna, and Jose Fernandez.

The A's are similar. They win but they don't draw.

I'd say the Rays have to move. The A's..........also in a terrible ballpark and the Bay Area is such a booming area that I can't imagine they wouldn't draw with a better ballpark--even if they will always likely be second fiddle to the Giants.

The Rays should move to Charlotte. Charlotte has a bigger metro population now than Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Cleveland and Milwaukee. And Montreal.......another failed MLB city in which the ballpark is used as a scapegoat. But maybe people in French Canada just don't care that much about baseball?

Old 08-23-2019, 04:12 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
I've always thought Kansas City should have an NBA team, possibly and NHL team too. They have a place to house them already.

Seattle should get NHL for sure.

Definitely think Charlotte or Nashville deserves an MLB team, as the Braves are really the only pro team in the south (excluding Texas and Florida).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.