Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,380,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
While I agree with your larger point, no one (or at least almost no one) considers the coastal Southeast to be "the East Coast". That phrase, for all intents and purposes, means the Bos-Wash corridor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The first time I ever experienced this odd attitude regarding the East Coast was here on CD, and only here since. The East Coast goes from ME to FL. It's split from there into Northeast and generally the South (though the South encompasses more than just the coastal southern states). Someone from Georgia will say they're from the South, someone from New York will say they're from the Northeast but they're both still from the East Coast.
I've observed that people here and (more generally) people who actually live on the East Coast don't tend to use the term "East Coast." People from other regions of the country tend to use that term, which perhaps connotes the Northeast (even though it denotes the entire coast).

Old 05-15-2015, 03:45 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Think about it. Ohio is closer to New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey than it is to the quintessential Midwestern "Plains States".
The midwest isn't defined by the plains states. The dominant midwest states are the states that border the Great Lakes, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio, and Ohio has a LOT of similarities with Indiana and Illinois

Quote:
Ohio has very Northeastern demographics. It has high concentrations of Italians and Puerto Ricans. Puerto Ricans are more prominent than other Hispanics. Cleveland is more like Upstate NY than it is like Iowa or Nebraska.
Chicago has higher concentrations of those demographics than Cleveland does, should Chicago go for North Eastern too?

Quote:
I think Ohio should reconsider being Midwestern and think more Northeastern.
Doesn't matter what you think. Ohio is geographically part of the midwest, that's not going to change. Even culturally it's more akin to the midwest than it is to the North East. You don't have the same concentration of corn fields in Ohio as you do in Massachusetts, do they even have cornfields in Massachusetts?

Ohio is very much midwestern, saying it's more diverse and has unique accents will not change that.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Doesn't matter what you think. Ohio is geographically part of the midwest, that's not going to change. Even culturally it's more akin to the midwest than it is to the North East. You don't have the same concentration of corn fields in Ohio as you do in Massachusetts, do they even have cornfields in Massachusetts?
Umm, yea we do. [photos by me]

Last edited by nei; 05-15-2015 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 04:47 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
Yeah, there are some good arguments here for defining the Midwest. But the presence of cornfields is not of them. New Jersey and new York both grow some nice sweetcorn. New England, too. I will concede that the Midwest states in general have a larger percentage of their ag land in corn, though while the Northeast is more apples and dairy. But then people are going to start saying New York and Vermont are so like Wisconsin that Wisconsin must be a Northeast state.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:08 PM

469 posts, read 571,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I will concede that the Midwest states in general have a larger percentage of their ag land in corn, though while the Northeast is more apples and dairy. But then people are going to start saying New York and Vermont are so like Wisconsin that Wisconsin must be a Northeast state.
Not to expand this debate further.... but I have heard some folks say that western New York does have a sort of Midwestern feel to it.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,183,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Umm, yea we do. [photos by me]

Okay..

Check out Nebraska, a midwestern state:
Attached Thumbnails
Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-100_1329.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-2008-prti-004.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-mike_hollingshead_251.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-9yxxl.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-ne_landscape.jpg  

Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-chimney_rock.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-sandhills-dismalriver.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-deer-fest-metcalf-wildlife-management-area   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-sandhillsnp.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-dsc_6175d70lg2.jpg  

Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-nebsandhill1.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-hqdefault.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-img_2000.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-tsbadlands02.jpeg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-toadstool_06-e559b84a.jpg  

Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-photo1.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-sand-hills.jpeg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-pf2487_h.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-nebraska2.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-images-3.jpg  

Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-images-2.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-images.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-images-1.jpg   Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state-nebraska_crop380w.jpg  

Old 05-15-2015, 10:15 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
^^^ Looks like New Mexico, or as it is sometimes known ,'El Corazón del Medio Oeste' (The Heart of the Midwest)

Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,183,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
^^^ Looks like New Mexico, or as it is sometimes known ,'El Corazón del Medio Oeste' (The Heart of the Midwest)
Nebraska is known by many as a flat state. That notion was built on the fact that I-80 goes across the state in the Platte river valley. The sandhills alone cover a quarter of the entire state, centered in the central area. Nebraska is not mountainous nor next to an ocean. But does it have to be?

New Mexico is ridiculously beautiful, just wanna throw that out there.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:28 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
You are a idiot. Of course certain cities on the up and down east coast have their own dialect. Boston has it's own, Philly has it's own, NYC has its own, Baltimore has its own, the Carolinas has its own etc. Now you on the other try so hard to align yourself with NYC and other northeastern cities. You constantly try to align the Chicago accent with the NYC accent which is delusional because the Chicago accent sounds VERY different from the NYC accent. And now you're trying to align the Cincinnati accent with the Philly accent which is hilarious because they also sound very different from each other. You constantly make northeastern centric posts and threads even though you're from the Midwest. You want to be from from the Northeast so bad it's not even funny.
LOL

When have I associated myself with the Northeast? I'm from the Great Lakes and now live in the Southern portion of the Mid-Atlantic. The fact that Chicago and NYC have Northern accents isn't jiving well with you isn't my problem. By the way, Chicago has a full Northern Cities Vowel Shift while New York doesn't. Besides, if I wanted to be Northeastern, I would have moved to the Northeast or at least claimed online that I am Northeastern. I'm Northern, but not Northeastern (nor do I live in it).

You're from Philly, so you can associate with the Northeast all you want. Have at it. It is after all, true. However, you simply calling me an idiot because I post a fact that Philadelphia's accent isn't a Northern, but Midland dialect, is only a pathetic argument from disbelief coupled with childish ad hominem. Consider rethinking your debate skills or just breathing fresh air to calm down, my Northeastern friend.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
While I agree with your larger point, no one (or at least almost no one) considers the coastal Southeast to be "the East Coast". That phrase, for all intents and purposes, means the Bos-Wash corridor.
That's funny, because if that's the case, then even that isn't really the East Coast because only NYC and Boston are coastal unlike the 3 inland cities that are also part of that corridor.

Pretty stupid to consider an inland city like DC or Baltimore "East Coast" and not cities like Charleston or Savannah. Thankfully, most people in the Northeast (or South) even use the term "East Coast" in such an idiotic way. Didn't realize that the Atlantic disappeared below DC. Usually, the only people who use the term "East Coast" to be synonymous with either the Northeast or the "Northeast Corridor" (emphasis on the fact it's just a title) aren't even from anywhere close to Atlantic Coastal states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.