Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 03:31 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
The plains states should really be in its own region. Thats said, i jave no problem being listed as midwestern. Although, historically, the great lakes states people have always shunned us.
Well, I feel like the heavy Eastern and Southern European immigration helped give the Great Lakes its distinct culture and even accent. People associate all Midwestern people as sounding like Nebraska but up in the Great Lakes we have our own thing that's distinctive and I feel it is due to our different immigration patterns.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:24 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,113,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I find this statement odd because Kansas is considered part of the Midwest and both are on the same latitude. I guess if you're talking socioeconomic conditions then yeah. Kansas has a lot more wealth, more education and less poverty than Kentucky. Which isn't a knock on KY, as I've found that people in the south choose to live the slower, less wealthy lifestyle.
If by Kansas you mean Johnson County then sure. But most of KS is rural, poor, agricultural/ranching, low education, etc. Even Wichita and Topeka are pretty meh cities IMO. And let's not forget the Westboro Baptist Church is in Topeka. That blows anything Kentucky has out of the water.

The only places where you see a lot of wealth and educated populaces are in eastern KS, mostly in the KC metro (Joco, Wyco, Lawrence, etc).

Old 05-17-2015, 04:47 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,213,526 times
Trying to squeeze entire states into one region is too simplistic. Sure, there are some (probably quite a few) states that fit into one region. Rhode Island is in the NE/New England. Mississippi is deep south.

BUT, a lot of states are culturally and geographically straddling two or more regions. Like Houston is more "south," but El Paso is clearly Southwest and Amarillo is probably in the "great plains" region. Likewise, Ohio can probably be split into mid-south and mid-west in the northern and midwestern parts of the state. The Northeast/eastern portion is probably more Appalachia.

Also, I think it's fair to split the Midwest in half between two sub-regions: Great Lakes/Industrial/Old Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin - or parts of those states) and the Plains/Agricultural/New Midwest (Southern/western Minnesota, Iowa, Northern half of Missouri, Eastern parts of Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas).

To me, the Great Plains is a separate region consisting of: western portions of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, and the Eastern portions of New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana).

Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,183,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Trying to squeeze entire states into one region is too simplistic. Sure, there are some (probably quite a few) states that fit into one region. Rhode Island is in the NE/New England. Mississippi is deep south.

BUT, a lot of states are culturally and geographically straddling two or more regions. Like Houston is more "south," but El Paso is clearly Southwest and Amarillo is probably in the "great plains" region. Likewise, Ohio can probably be split into mid-south and mid-west in the northern and midwestern parts of the state. The Northeast/eastern portion is probably more Appalachia.

Also, I think it's fair to split the Midwest in half between two sub-regions: Great Lakes/Industrial/Old Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin - or parts of those states) and the Plains/Agricultural/New Midwest (Southern/western Minnesota, Iowa, Northern half of Missouri, Eastern parts of Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas).

To me, the Great Plains is a separate region consisting of: western portions of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, and the Eastern portions of New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana).
Well. You arent wrong. Although the gp ends about 50 miles west of omaha but i digress.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:08 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times
Does anybody care if OH wants to secede from the Midwest to the Northeast?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Does anybody care if OH wants to secede from the Midwest to the Northeast?
Apparently lots of CD posters do

Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
By demographics, northeast Ohio is already more Northeastern than DC or Baltimore. Sizable Puerto Ricans and Italians, and a Northern dialect is actually spoken there unlike the two bottom East Coast Megalopolis cities. The rest of Ohio is just as Northeastern as DC and all of Maryland when you look at demographics. Lots of Germans, and the Southern extremities are more Republican and closer to Southern in culture, but not fully.

Oh wait, no Southern dialect is spoken in Ohio at all, even in Southern extremities. By this alone, and the fact that it already has more Northern demographics and linguistics than all of the DC/Baltimore Metro, pretty much makes it at least contend to be more Northeastern than these other places.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:53 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,839,174 times
This is pathetic. Just like your crazed determination to prove Maryland isn't Northeastern, which ultimately failed, you try and take a state that is definitively Midwestern and make it Northeastern. Ohio has nothing in common with the Northeast. Eddienoskool's vigorous campaign continues. Next up: Florida joins the Northeast. Lol what a joke.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,839,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
By demographics, northeast Ohio is already more Northeastern than DC or Baltimore. Sizable Puerto Ricans and Italians, and a Northern dialect is actually spoken there unlike the two bottom East Coast Megalopolis cities. The rest of Ohio is just as Northeastern as DC and all of Maryland when you look at demographics. Lots of Germans, and the Southern extremities are more Republican and closer to Southern in culture, but not fully.

Oh wait, no Southern dialect is spoken in Ohio at all, even in Southern extremities. By this alone, and the fact that it already has more Northern demographics and linguistics than all of the DC/Baltimore Metro, pretty much makes it at least contend to be more Northeastern than these other places.
As someone with family from there, Northeast Ohio is not the Northeast and neither is the rest of Ohio. Get your ridiculous campaigns off this website. Ohio is the most like Illinois and Indiana and unlike Maryland doesn't share the majority of its characteristics with any part of the Northeast. I don't even know why I waste my time on you. I'm done now. Good luck converting and brainwashing other people on your ridiculous ideas.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:10 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,380,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
This is pathetic. Just like your crazed determination to prove Maryland isn't Northeastern, which ultimately failed, you try and take a state that is definitively Midwestern and make it Northeastern. Ohio has nothing in common with the Northeast. Eddienoskool's vigorous campaign continues. Next up: Florida joins the Northeast. Lol what a joke.
Maryland is traditionally a Southern state. Disagree and say that's mostly changed if you wish, but there's a very good, valid reason to consider it Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.