Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 7,377 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas in New England that are open to people who have lived most of their lives in other states? I'm especially wondering about differences between Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut (and cities in each) that would be welcoming to others that have lived in other states or countries. I keep hearing that, in these states, people are "honest" in their opinions of others but, from what Ive read in some posts, it sounds like this may be used as another way to say prejudiced, loud, and quick to judge because people who say it seem to assume others who respond differently must also be making snap judgments of others and are just being politically correct and whispering behind their backs. I've traveled a bit around the country and people in some states just genuinely don't seem to get offended easily or worry much about what others are doing or not doing and/or aren't quick to view other cultures as "weird" as opposed to just "different". It sounds like there are tons of people from different cultures New England, but that many might live in more segregated communities. Also, are there any stereotypes in New England or parts of New England that are negative about other states (e.g. Arizona, California, Texas)? And are there any areas in or around New England that are introvert-friendly? I've heard people look at you like you must have some ulterior motive if you smile at them when passing by or meeting them at a store, but are more likely to engage in superficial small-talk... is that true of the culture? I know this post is pretty loaded with lots of questions, but I'm thinking of moving to New England and I've heard lots about how kind, sincere, passionate and sincere New Englanders so I find it hard to reconcile this with the other posts on this site. I figure not all places in New England are the same. Of course there are wonderful and mean people anywhere you live, but I'm just hoping how others tend to perceive people in New England, and especially in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:09 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
People move to NE from other places all the time- from other states and other countries. There is no one brand of people here.
I don't understand why you would worry that people would discriminate against you personally- can you share why you would expect this to happen?

Old 10-24-2015, 11:26 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Question Unwelcoming, or just reserved?

I lived in Providence for about a year, and nobody I met cared that I had moved to NE from the Midwest. I think that's partly a big city thing. In Providence, Boston, Manchester, nobody is going to ostracize you because you started your life in some other US state.

In my experience with smaller towns, the prejudice is against anybody who wasn't born in town-- you can move from two towns over and live in a town for twenty years, the locals will still think of you as being "that family from away who live in the Taylor house".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella1234 View Post
Also, are there any stereotypes in New England or parts of New England that are negative about other states (e.g. Arizona, California, Texas)?
It's not a New England thing, but everywhere I've been, I see negative stereotypes about California & Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella1234 View Post
And are there any areas in or around New England that are introvert-friendly? I've heard people look at you like you must have some ulterior motive if you smile at them when passing by or meeting them at a store, but are more likely to engage in superficial small-talk... is that true of the culture?
Introvert friendly? Well, many New Englanders are reserved, which means if you're an introvert, you might never get to know your neighbors other than somebody to wave at when you're getting your mail.

New Hampshire folk (this is the New Hampshire forum) tend, in my experience, to not be interested in engaging in superficial small-talk, do smile when passing by or meeting at a store. Some people call this " "cold, and unfriendly".

Quote:
I know this post is pretty loaded with lots of questions, but I'm thinking of moving to New England and I've heard lots about how kind, sincere, passionate and sincere New Englanders so I find it hard to reconcile this with the other posts on this site. I figure not all places in New England are the same.
Compared to how self-centered and insincere Californians (for example) are, New Englanders are a huge improvement -- In Los Angeles, everybody is instantly your friend, if only just long enough to determine whether you are somebody and what you can do for them.

In contrast, everybody I've met while living in New Hampshire is sincere; they might be reserved, not outgoing nor willing to pretend they're your best friend the moment you first meet, but to act otherwise would be insincerity.

Most people living in NH weren't born in NH:

Last edited by Nonesuch; 10-24-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 12:35 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
There is a vast difference between big city (any city) New Hampshire and small town rural New Hampshire.
No one cares in big city as there are many people already.
Small towns in New Hampshire - everybody will know your entire history in a short period of time.
If you are friendly and out going there is usually never any issue.
If you are 'different' in any way - well - some will take notice.
Mostly though people in rural towns mind their own business.
Much of small town New Hampshire is made up of people from someplace else.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
As someone who has recently moved to NH, I have found people in NH to be friendly and helpful. Any questions or concerns were quickly answered. However. generally they (and now I) are not welcoming of potential newcomers in the sense that we want our population to increase (we love the rural nature of our state) or to give false hope that NH is the best place to live and that it's some sort of destination point for all.

For me, the whole concept of "live free or die" only works in a low human population area. I also would be upset to see our human population increase significantly and the undeveloped lands turn into tracts of housing with two acres lots. Outsiders think that NH is a cheap place to live because we don't have state sales or income taxes, but NH has long cold winters and our property taxes are high. So when others consider moving here, I am very honest about the cons of living here... so yeah, I could be considered "unwelcoming" of potential newcomers.

On the other hand, Hawaiians seem very welcoming as people get off the airplanes, placing flowered leis around their necks. But Hawaiians just want the tourist dollars, they aren't actually inviting them to live there permanently.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:53 AM

276 posts, read 448,302 times
New Englanders in general are very proud of being from New England, and think this area is better than other parts of the country. Generally they see themselves as tougher, harder workers, more educated, etc. Some of this is true and some is self-congratulatory.

You probably see similar pride of origin in other parts of the country, but I don't live there so I can't personally confirm this.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:08 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
New Englanders in general are very proud of being from New England, and think this area is better than other parts of the country. Generally they see themselves as tougher, harder workers, more educated, etc. Some of this is true and some is self-congratulatory.

You probably see similar pride of origin in other parts of the country, but I don't live there so I can't personally confirm this.
Yes, this holds true for many other places. People who are happy where they live are generally proud and tend to brag. Nothing wrong with it, IMO.

I can't speak for people in MA, RI or CT, but people in NH for the most part are very friendly and GENUINE!

Old 10-25-2015, 12:52 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Why is this question in the New Hampshire forum?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:56 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I can't speak for people in MA, RI or CT, but people in NH for the most part are very friendly and GENUINE!
I agree with the "but... " part of the above quote. However unlike the previous poster I will comment on MA, RI and CT. Give me a place to live anywhere other than MA, RI, CT or give me death.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:01 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Why is this question in the New Hampshire forum?
I have a more intriguing question. Why did the OP ask about "New England" and then proceed to completely ignore its better half?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
View detailed profiles of: