Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 08:55 PM

120 posts, read 236,251 times

Advertisements

I want to take a moving truck from the Raleigh NC area to the Cincinnati OH area. I recently drove the direct route recommended by gps, which traveled I-40 to I-74 to I-77 to Hwy 35 and it felt like nonstop mountains for most of the trip (also known as West Virginia and the Blue Ridge pass). While lovely in a passenger vehicle, it would be terrifying in a truck.

How can I get from Raleigh to Cincinnati with the fewest steep grades possible? A few white-knuckle miles (preferably where there will be passing lanes so I can creep) is unavoidable, I realize, but without being ridiculous (I'm not driving south to Alabama to cross the Appalachians), what do you suggest?

If you can, please provide a rough estimate of the number of miles in your proposed route as well as the %grades I will still encounter.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,534,680 times
Well... Avoid West Virginia. I can tell you that.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:25 PM

120 posts, read 236,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Haha, no kidding! It was gorgeous, but on the way up we were in a massive downpour in the dark and I about screamed a few times. =)

Would it be as simple as connecting to the 81 in Wytheville VA right before the major passes and then jog up through Lexington? That only adds 1 hour, and about 40 miles compared to the direct route. But I'd still have to do the pass for the Blue Ridge Parkway, which certainly has some steep spots.

Is the stretch of mountains north of Corbin KY steep? It doesn't look windy.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:35 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,018,151 times
Unfortunately, you are probably screwed unless you really want to go out of your way by going under and around or going north to Pennsylvania and across. The highest parts of the Appalachians are from North Carolina through West Virginia and the most direct routes take you through that part of the mountains.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:03 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,590,072 times
I'd recommend taking I-40 west to Knoxville and I-75 north to Cincinnati. The most challenging segment of that route is a 40-mile segment of I-40 that spans 20 miles on each side of the North Carolina/Tennessee state line. You'll have to take it slow there because it has curves and steep grades. Another somewhat challenging segment is a 40-mile segment of I-75 immediately north of Knoxville, though the curves and grades are less severe than the I-40 segment I mentioned. Other than that, however, the route is surprisingly gentle. If you can handle the I-40 segment, the rest of the drive is a breeze, even the I-75 segment by comparison.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:04 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,885,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
And Virginia
And Pennsylvania
And Maryland

Probably should just go around Atlanta

Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,495,469 times
I-40 W to Asheville has one steep grade that is not curvy. I-40 on to Knoxville is not steep but it is very curvy. It is actually downhill from Canton west of Asheville. There is one moderate grade near Canton but that part is straight. I-75 N has some steep stretches but it is not particularly curvy. Once you get north of Corbin there are some moderate hills but nothing like before. The trucks will be going slow up the steep grades so stay in the right lane, grit your teeth and it will be over soon.

It might not be a bad idea to detour by way of I-26 to Johnson City then south on 81 if the curves on I-40 worry you. It's steep but relatively straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.