Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Region Has The Most Speeders?
New England 10 15.38%
Mid-Atlantic 16 24.62%
Mid-West 2 3.08%
West 11 16.92%
Pacific West 2 3.08%
Southwest 6 9.23%
South 18 27.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times

Advertisements

This is easy to answer, and I've driven in 42 states.

The answer is the NYC metropolitan area, period. Nothing else compares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 PM

696 posts, read 1,162,713 times
Miami / South FL + NYC area gets my vote.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,642,132 times
I've encountered fast drivers in every part of the country EXCEPT the Pacific Northwest. People are always in your way and blocking the passing lanes there. The most aggressive speed demons I've encountered were in Florida. Kansas is by far the best state to drive through in a hurry.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:12 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
Many people keep saying that Florida has some of the worst drivers in the nation, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I've driven in South Florida, even, with my own car and don't really remember any bad drivers. It was fine.

I thought the drivers in Dallas were pretty intense. It was just as bad as NYC drivers, in my opinion. Atlanta was pretty bad, too. And Fairfield County, CT. Everyone loves to use their car horns here and everyone thinks they get to go first, at a 4-way stop sign. I get honked at at least once a month living here. I've seen a ridiculous amount of hand gestures, middle fingers and the most ridiculous reactions for the STUPIDEST things. People seriously need to calm the hell down here. And people here LOVE to attempt to make a quick left turn at a green light with no left turn arrow, just before the oncoming traffic starts driving forward. It's ridonkulous and I can't wait to move out this hellhole. Worst place ever.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:13 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,328,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol the south? No way.
Why no way? Interstate 95 in Florida especially South Florida is speed track. 610 in Houston might as well be a Nascar track as well. And if the traffic is light at night in Atlanta on 85/75.......70 mph is even slow.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:56 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,885,919 times
Anybody ever been on the Garden State Parkway? 70-75 in the right lane is a regular occurrence (though of course you have the pass the idiots going 50). Forget about the left - people will be flying past you or around you at 90. 80 often isn't fast enough for the people behind me when I'm in the left lane but I refuse to go faster than 85.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,277,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Many people keep saying that Florida has some of the worst drivers in the nation, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I've driven in South Florida, even, with my own car and don't really remember any bad drivers. It was fine.

I thought the drivers in Dallas were pretty intense. It was just as bad as NYC drivers, in my opinion. Atlanta was pretty bad, too. And Fairfield County, CT. Everyone loves to use their car horns here and everyone thinks they get to go first, at a 4-way stop sign. I get honked at at least once a month living here. I've seen a ridiculous amount of hand gestures, middle fingers and the most ridiculous reactions for the STUPIDEST things. People seriously need to calm the hell down here. And people here LOVE to attempt to make a quick left turn at a green light with no left turn arrow, just before the oncoming traffic starts driving forward. It's ridonkulous and I can't wait to move out this hellhole. Worst place ever.
It's the environment of urban settings. People have a completely different sets of values while driving. When there's more people, more noise, cluster of signs, and honking then some people just change. If you put people in stressful situations then they change. Some people can be the most dangerous when they drive and they might not even realize it. Everybody is in a rush in urban areas and they think everyone should drive the way they drive. Some people just need to calm down and be safe while driving because that's when you need to be the most responsible. You're driving a 3 ton weapon!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Anybody ever been on the Garden State Parkway? 70-75 in the right lane is a regular occurrence (though of course you have the pass the idiots going 50). Forget about the left - people will be flying past you or around you at 90. 80 often isn't fast enough for the people behind me when I'm in the left lane but I refuse to go faster than 85.
Does New Jersey enforce it? I'm guessing you're from Jersey since its in your name haha.
Have you seen this video before?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bXEH4CGW-KA
A cop in New Jersey pulls over someone who is going the exact speed as the cop.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,885,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Does New Jersey enforce it? I'm guessing you're from Jersey since its in your name haha.
Have you seen this video before?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bXEH4CGW-KA
A cop in New Jersey pulls over someone who is going the exact speed as the cop.
Sometimes. Speeding laws are enforced most in the summer when everyone is going down the shore - including out of state drivers. They love pulling over New Yorkers from what I can see. In the summer sometimes there are state troopers stationed every few miles just waiting.

I've never seen that video but I'm not surprised. I respect and like cops, but they tend to do what they want. Just yesterday I watched a cop turn his lights on just so he could drive through a red light, then turn them off again. That happens pretty often. When they're in patrol cars, I think they don't think the rules apply to them.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sometimes. Speeding laws are enforced most in the summer when everyone is going down the shore - including out of state drivers. They love pulling over New Yorkers from what I can see. In the summer sometimes there are state troopers stationed every few miles just waiting.

I've never seen that video but I'm not surprised. I respect and like cops, but they tend to do what they want. Just yesterday I watched a cop turn his lights on just so he could drive through a red light, then turn them off again. That happens pretty often. When they're in patrol cars, I think they don't think the rules apply to them.
I've seen some cops do some wild things. The one thing interesting about police in New Jersey that I like is that they enforce the use of the left lane laws. This is just through my eyes. I've seen it and I was very surprised. I've even seen cops go well over 85mph and then pull someone over going 80mph. Pretty crazy logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.