Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Region Has The Most Speeders?
New England 10 15.38%
Mid-Atlantic 16 24.62%
Mid-West 2 3.08%
West 11 16.92%
Pacific West 2 3.08%
Southwest 6 9.23%
South 18 27.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:09 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What do you know? That there's traffic on highways connecting cities with millions of people? That's not the entire Northeast. The entire Northeast doesn't have traffic 24/7 on every highway or road. Your point is ridiculous and that's what I'm telling you. You sound like you drove a highway like the Turnpike from Philly to NYC at 4 in the afternoon or something once or twice and are trying to base the whole Northeast off the fact that there was traffic. It's a stupid point. Traffic doesn't diminish the fact that people speed.

You're being ridiculous and petty in your argument. Your second paragraph proves that. I don't really care about speeders in the South. I'm talking about where I live and discussing your odd argument.
It didn't seem that stupid to many others. What's the problem? What are you so insecure about? That we have worse drivers? Faster drivers?

You're doing a lot of assuming as well. I'm not. Everything I've said I've experienced. I'm allowed to express that, no matter how irrationally angry you get about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
It didn't seem that stupid to many others. What's the problem? What are you so insecure about? That we have worse drivers? Faster drivers?

You're doing a lot of assuming as well. I'm not. Everything I've said I've experienced. I'm allowed to express that, no matter how irrationally angry you become about it.
Insecure? I'm not angry about anything. YOU'RE the one who made a ridiculous claim that I and another poster disagreed with (traffic means there are fewer speeders) and then proceeded to tell me how many speeders the South has and how fast you can go on a highway between two small cities while I was just trying to tell you you're wrong about the Northeast. Seems like you're the insecure one.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Insecure? I'm not angry about anything. YOU'RE the one who made a ridiculous claim that I and another poster disagreed with (traffic means there are fewer speeders) and then proceeded to tell me how many speeders the South has and how fast you can go on a highway between two small cities while I was just trying to tell you you're wrong about the Northeast. Seems like you're the insecure one.
I'm not calling other peoples arguments names to prove a point though

My points actually have a point. You can't speed in gridlock. And I've driven both places and my experience is the south has more speeders. By far.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not calling other peoples arguments names to prove a point though

My points actually have a point. You can't speed in gridlock.
And the entire Northeast isn't gridlock, not even close. Do you seriously not see how ridiculous you sound? Again - not sure where you went here but you sure got a narrow view of it. Unlike you I'm not basing how the entire South drives off my one trip to Texas and three to Florida.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
And the entire Northeast isn't gridlock, not even close. Do you seriously not see how ridiculous you sound? Again - not sure where you went here but you sure got a narrow view of it. Unlike you I'm not basing how the entire South drives off my one trip to Texas and three to Florida.
Most of the NE, you're gonna get gridlock somewhere. Yes you have speeders. No they aren't the norm. In the south, when you're driving on most roads, you're going to speed. It's easier to forget you're speeding, the flat, straight stretches with very few onramps make it more possible to do it safely, more people simply do it because they can get away with it without killing themselves, and yes - there is less intercity gridlock. It doesn't even have to be gridlock in the standstill sense, it can be all full lanes ahead and everybody is going 5 over. That happens a lot more in the NE than in the south as well. In the south, almost any interstate you're on intercity is going to have an available passing lane for you to get around people (with a few exceptions here and there - SA - Austin for example).

I can lay out more examples if you'd like me to continue. I've driven half a million miles in the past 10 years, I have a little bit of traveling experience.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Most of the Mideast, you're gonna get gridlock somewhere. Yes you have speeders. No they aren't the norm. In the south, when you're driving on most roads, you're going to speed. It's easier to forget you're speeding, more people simply do it because they can get away with it without killing themselves, and yes - there is less intercity gridlock. It doesn't even have to be gridlock, it can be all full lanes ahead and everybody is going 5 over. That happens a lot more in the NE than in the south as well. In the south, almost any interstate you're on intercity is going to have an available passing lane for you to get around people (with a few exceptions here and there - SA - Austin for example).

I can lay out more examples if you'd like me to continue. I've driven half a million miles in the past 10 years, I have a little bit of traveling experience.
They're not the norm? You really have no clue what it's like here. Have you ever driven the Garden State Parkway? You act as if traffic is pervasive and always present on every highway or road. It's not like that. I drive the Parkway every day and almost never hit traffic. People pass me in the left lane going at least 85 in zones where the speed limit is 55. I don't need your examples of what where I live is like, thanks though.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Yes, I have been on the GSP. It's nothing close to the stretch between I-10 and NOLA. Nowhere even close to the amount of idiots trying to get past those bridges of hell from Laffy to BR I-10 bridge, I-55, the I-10 bridge into NOLA. All 3 of these bridges are roughly 20 miles long and if you're not speeding, you run the risk of somebody following you into a gas station or running you off the road (into the swamp below). I hate to speed, but I force myself to do so out of NOLA because I do not want to die.

EDIT: Obviously there's more people on the GSP, but what I mean is that the amount of idiots to car ratio is much higher in the places I'm mentioning.

And don't get me started on the drunks in South LA, or East Texas. Or the street racing.

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 05-11-2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
I'd say DC area and New Jersey, so Mid-Atlantic.

Sure, people out in more rural areas (South, West, Midwest) probably speed more and faster, but there are a lot less cars on the road there so it's not a big deal.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:52 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Yes, I have been on the GSP. It's nothing close to the stretch between I-10 and NOLA. Nowhere even close to the amount of idiots trying to get past those bridges of hell from Laffy to BR I-10 bridge, I-55, the I-10 bridge into NOLA. All 3 of these bridges are roughly 20 miles long and if you're not speeding, you run the risk of somebody following you into a gas station or running you off the road (into the swamp below). I hate to speed, but I force myself to do so out of NOLA because I do not want to die.

EDIT: Obviously there's more people on the GSP, but what I mean is that the amount of idiots to car ratio is much higher in the places I'm mentioning.

And don't get me started on the drunks in South LA, or East Texas. Or the street racing.
Hahaha..... OK.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Hmm... interesting article. Yes, Turnpike and Parkway speeding tickets are on the rise: Ask @Commuting Larry | NJ.com

Interesting, telling comments, too.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 05-12-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.