Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You have explained or provided any proof on how it's cheaper than maintaining AC. It seems like you're just making stuff up.

"As far as maintenance costs go, dehumidifiers are really cheap because they don’t need a lot in that respect."

How Much Does It Cost to Run a Dehumidifier?
The A/C is just one central system, compared to the many systems abound existing in a house without A/C to cool it off. When each of those systems has to be maintained periodically, the cost will add up compared to A/C.

Quote:
From the last part in Part 2: "In short the AC produces comfort conditions in which the human beings tend to feel highly comfortable. In these conditions the working efficiency of the human beings becomes maximum; hence they are able to work with greater vigor."

So people are using Ac to cool their homes and businesses to comfortable temperatures, as I already said. All your article did is explain what causes those higher temps indoors. Not sure what you thought you were actually proving with that article.
I was demonstrating that other reasons exist for using A/C rather than just cooling people, and the article mentions such reasons, such as cooling down rooms from heat emitted by electronics, or providing cool air without outside noises granted from opening windows. Such reasons mentioned can easily be taken care of without A/C; fans can be used to cool down electronics, and sound-proofing can minimize outside noises.

Quote:
Oh please show me where because all I see is everyone disagreeing with you.
These people do:
//www.city-data.com/forum/39742032-post192.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/39778031-post24.html

Quote:
Sure but less so when they're introduced to something better, more convenient, more comfortable, etc..
Only except the weather in coastal CA is not always better, more convenient, nor more comfortable for those tropical people.

Quote:
Ok whatever, classify them however you want they're still severe in the NWS's and other people's eyes.
Many thunderstorms called "Severe" by the NWS are experienced in the tropics on a daily basis...

Quote:
It's not the same. Look at the average wind speed during summer in a city like Honolulu and compare it to Mobile, Houston, New Orleans, etc..in summer. They don't get the same "refreshing sea breezes" like you try to claim.
Those cities still get enough of the breeze in that the air is not still, good for ensuring comfort from heat and humidity. Go to coastal locations of said cities, and sea-breezes will be powerful just like in those tropical isles.

This is ignoring the fact that all three cities still have lush vegetation and frequent thunderstorms to ensure comfort during summer, just like the tropical locales.

How do you feel about inland tropical areas, like Manaus, Brazil, or Bangkok, Thailand?

Quote:
Well many people that have actually lived in coastal CA clearly disagree with you including myself. Not sure why you think you're some authority on telling how comfortable it is to live in coastal Ca w/o AC when you never have.

Not only that, coastal CA has very low energy usage and few homes with AC.
I've done many stints in coastal CA. While living without A/C can easily be done, its not really the bed of roses you guys like to claim it is, not unless more steps other than just ceiling fans, or windows, are used.

When people in the US become more accustomed to subtropical living, the South will have very low energy usage as well.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:51 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The A/C is just one central system, compared to the many systems abound existing in a house without A/C to cool it off. When each of those systems has to be maintained periodically, the cost will add up compared to A/C.

I was demonstrating that other reasons exist for using A/C rather than just cooling people, and the article mentions such reasons, such as cooling down rooms from heat emitted by electronics, or providing cool air without outside noises granted from opening windows. Such reasons mentioned can easily be taken care of without A/C; fans can be used to cool down electronics, and sound-proofing can minimize outside noises.

These people do:
//www.city-data.com/forum/39742032-post192.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/39778031-post24.html

Only except the weather in coastal CA is not always better, more convenient, nor more comfortable for those tropical people.

Many thunderstorms called "Severe" by the NWS are experienced in the tropics on a daily basis...

Those cities still get enough of the breeze in that the air is not still, good for ensuring comfort from heat and humidity. Go to coastal locations of said cities, and sea-breezes will be powerful just like in those tropical isles.

This is ignoring the fact that all three cities still have lush vegetation and frequent thunderstorms to ensure comfort during summer, just like the tropical locales.

How do you feel about inland tropical areas, like Manaus, Brazil, or Bangkok, Thailand?

I've done many stints in coastal CA. While living without A/C can easily be done, its not really the bed of roses you guys like to claim it is, not unless more steps other than just ceiling fans, or windows, are used.

When people in the US become more accustomed to subtropical living, the South will have very low energy usage as well.
Heh. I lived in Houston for more than 20 years. I was as well adjusted to the climate as anyone. It sucked.

It is certainly possible to live there without A/C. Get ready to sweat through the crotch of your Levi's, though. Seriously, that part of the country is the inner-most ring of Hell, weather-wise.

Case in point: Houston often touts itself as "the most air conditioned city in the world."

Old 05-28-2015, 06:52 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
Hawaii maybe, then just parts of California. Most all experience heat and cold extremes.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Ok, in your opinion, you still haven't accurately explained or quantified how AC is cheaper or provided any proof.

Quote:
Yes providing cool air in the room to make it comfortable for people, we all seem to understand the basic concept of AC except you.
Congrats, you found ONE person who says they have lived without AC in the South, didn't say it was there preference though. Only have about a 100 million more to convince lol.

The second post has nothing to do with what were talking about so I'm not sure why you even posted it.
Quote:
"Always", no, but I never claimed that anyways

Quote:

Ok, well the vast majority seem to disagree with you. They don't find the "breezes" or vegetation cooling enough at all.

I've never been to either city but all I've ever heard about their weather is how hot and humid it is. Nobody I know that has visited Bangkok has ever praised it's weather and have usually complained. I would never live in one of those places without AC. I don't know where you get this idea that people are seeing those places as having comfortable climates.

Quote:

There are some uncomfortable days, coastal CA gets heatwaves like any place but overall the vast majority of the time it was comfortable with just windows and fans. You're not going to convince the millions of people that do live in coastal CA they're wrong. It just seems to bother you that there is such a mild, idyllic climate where this can be done and it's not the South.

This thread is about the "best" cities to live without AC and coastal CA is a FAR BETTER place to do so than the South regardless of how well one's home is designed or not.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Nope, far more than that in this country. Living without A/C and Heat can be done in Hawaii, the coastal South, and the warm desert valleys of the Southwest.
Wait, what? The "coastal South"

I would die without AC in, say, New Orleans or Charleston in the summertime. The humidity is absolute hell. Even the poors all have AC.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Heh. I lived in Houston for more than 20 years. I was as well adjusted to the climate as anyone. It sucked.

It is certainly possible to live there without A/C. Get ready to sweat through the crotch of your Levi's, though. Seriously, that part of the country is the inner-most ring of Hell, weather-wise.

Case in point: Houston often touts itself as "the most air conditioned city in the world."
Heaven and Hell:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...gl-d4lkj73.png

In the picture, you will see both Heaven and Hell, with Heaven on the right, and Hell on the left.

Now here is Houston:
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...0/ZW2L9436.jpg

See how the Houston is lush and green, just like Heaven, and not dusty and desolate like Hell? Hell doesn't have frequent cooling rainstorms, plentiful water, verdant vegetation, and cooling breezes like Houston, and the rest of the coastal South have.

Quote:
This thread is about the "best" cities to live without AC and coastal CA is a FAR BETTER place to do so than the South regardless of how well one's home is designed or not.
Of course it is, but unlike you, I acknowledge the fact that what's best for one isn't always best for another. Coastal California is indeed comfortable for many in regards to life without A/C. But many individuals would also find the South comfortable without A/C as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Wait, what? The "coastal South"

I would die without AC in, say, New Orleans or Charleston in the summertime. The humidity is absolute hell. Even the poors all have AC.
No you wont.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Heaven and Hell:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...gl-d4lkj73.png

In the picture, you will see both Heaven and Hell, with Heaven on the right, and Hell on the left.

Now here is Houston:
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...0/ZW2L9436.jpg

See how the Houston is lush and green, just like Heaven, and not dusty and desolate like Hell? Hell doesn't have frequent cooling rainstorms, plentiful water, verdant vegetation, and cooling breezes like Houston, and the rest of the coastal South have.

Of course it is, but unlike you, I acknowledge the fact that what's best for one isn't always best for another. Coastal California is indeed comfortable for many in regards to life without A/C. But many individuals would also find the South comfortable without A/C as well.

No you wont.
I lived there for over 20 years. I agree it is a humid, miserable swamp. The "abundant water" is polluted and the breezes are hot, sticky and humid, not refreshing in the least. It is green, though. I will not dispute that.

You can keep trying to convince people with no experience living there, but those of us who have lived there aren't fooled.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I lived there for over 20 years. I agree it is a humid, miserable swamp. The "abundant water" is polluted and the breezes are hot, sticky and humid, not refreshing in the least. It is green, though. I will not dispute that.

You can keep trying to convince people with no experience living there, but those of us who have lived there aren't fooled.
Nothing wrong with Houston being in a swamp, a landscape filled with lush, verdant vegetation, and abundant water. Sea breezes are present, with enough movement of the air to induce comfort.

All the birdlife, along with alligators, turtles, fishes, rabbits, and other organisms that reside in and around Houston's many waterways would disagree with you about pollution.

I'm guessing you would think places like Hawaii, Seychelles, Maldives, Cancun, Zanzibar, Tokyo, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, and Fiji all have sucky climates as well. They all have the same heat and humidity seen in Houston and the coastal South, with the tropical areas experiencing such conditions year-round.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Houston being in a swamp, a landscape filled with lush, verdant vegetation, and abundant water. Sea breezes are present, with enough movement of the air to induce comfort.

All the birdlife, along with alligators, turtles, fishes, rabbits, and other organisms that reside in and around Houston's many waterways would disagree with you about pollution.

I'm guessing you would think places like Hawaii, Seychelles, Maldives, Cancun, Zanzibar, Tokyo, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, and Fiji all have sucky climates as well. They all have the same heat and humidity seen in Houston and the coastal South, with the tropical areas experiencing such conditions year-round.
No, they don't.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Not one place you mentioned has a similar climate as a Houston. I mean, not even close. Tokyo? Hawaii? BA? Huh?

Who knew that Houston summers had no humidity and daily temps in the 70's? The things one "learns" on C-D...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.