Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia or Louisiana?
Georgia 48 66.67%
Louisiana 24 33.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
What makes Georgia so interesting aside from Savannah, St. Simons and the mountains? It works both ways, my friend.
He was asking an honest question. Plus, it's been the LA posters that have been running down Georgia as having nothing interesting most of this thread. All hail our swamp overlords!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
What makes Georgia so interesting aside from Savannah, St. Simons and the mountains? It works both ways, my friend.
It's a valid question; NOLA gets all the shine in Louisiana. Atlanta gets most of it in Georgia, but Savannah and the coast do well on their own and the mountains get a little shine (although overshadowed by the mountains towns and cities in TN and NC). If someone said they were going to Louisiana for leisure and it wasn't NOLA, there's not one other place that would immediately come to mind for me (unless it was hunting/fishing in the swamps and bayous).

Old 06-08-2015, 10:33 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's a valid question; NOLA gets all the shine in Louisiana. Atlanta gets most of it in Georgia, but Savannah and the coast do well on their own and the mountains get a little shine (although overshadowed by the mountains towns and cities in TN and NC). If someone said they were going to Louisiana for leisure and it wasn't NOLA, there's not one other place that would immediately come to mind for me (unless it was hunting/fishing in the swamps and bayous).
But my question would be valid as well, right? If we're asking from the perspective of someone who is less informed. You'd have to be unfamiliar with Louisiana to think that New Orleans is the only special thing about it. Same goes for Georgia.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
But my question would be valid as well, right? If we're asking from the perspective of someone who is less informed. You'd have to be unfamiliar with Louisiana to think that New Orleans is the only special thing about it. Same goes for Georgia.
Your question is valid, but assuming that Atlanta is included (you didn't mention it and it gets many millions of visitors a year), that's a handful of places of interest in Georgia that are somewhat on the radar on a larger scale. Outside of NOLA and the bayous and swamps associated with it, what's on the radar in Louisiana on a larger scale from a tourist perspective?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Your question is valid, but assuming that Atlanta is included (you didn't mention it and it gets many millions of visitors a year), that's a handful of places of interest in Georgia that are somewhat on the radar on a larger scale. Outside of NOLA and the bayous and swamps associated with it, what's on the radar in Louisiana on a larger scale from a tourist perspective?
Baton Rouge, Shreveport and Lafayette are cities with their own offerings and cultures that are distinct from New Orleans, so let's go ahead and squash the idea that Louisiana only has one city to brag about.

We have to consider that what is interesting is relative. With Atlanta, Georgia might have a longer list of things to see and do, but when it comes to truly unique and intriguing things to do, Louisiana wins by a mile...in my opinion.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:33 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Baton Rouge, Shreveport and Lafayette are cities with their own offerings and cultures that are distinct from New Orleans, so let's go ahead and squash the idea that Louisiana only has one city to brag about.

We have to consider that what is interesting is relative. With Atlanta, Georgia might have a longer list of things to see and do, but when it comes to truly unique and intriguing things to do, Louisiana wins by a mile...in my opinion.
I'm not sure what makes the things going on in New Orleans more unique than things going on in Atlanta. It's more perception than reality.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Dude come on; on a national or even a regional level, NOLA is pretty much it for Louisiana. Of course other cities have "stuff," but none really come close to comparing to NOLA. Now from what I hear about Lafayette, it may be something of a contender but it's not like the "secondary" role Savannah/the coast plays in Georgia (and the mountains, to a smaller extent).

Quote:
Of course it's all relative, but that wasn't the point being discussed. We were talking about other cities/areas in Louisiana that have some sort of cachet in the larger consciousness and for Louisiana, that's pretty much only NOLA. And truthfully, that makes sense given Louisiana's relatively small population and geography. For instance, for Arkansas it would pretty much only be the Ozarks for the most part. For Mississippi, it's mainly the Gulf Coast and most folks would prefer to do the AL or FL Gulf Coast beaches or the Louisiana bayous. For SC, it's Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head but that's just representative of the coast as a singular region.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm not sure what makes the things going on in New Orleans more unique than things going on in Atlanta. It's more perception than reality.
Then I think it may be time you took a trip to New Orleans, sir.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Dude come on; on a national or even a regional level, NOLA is pretty much it for Louisiana. Of course other cities have "stuff," but none really come close to comparing to NOLA. Now from what I hear about Lafayette, it may be something of a contender but it's not like the "secondary" role Savannah/the coast plays in Georgia (and the mountains, to a smaller extent).
I never said otherwise, but it has been implied repeatedly that New Orleans is all Louisiana has going for it. That's what I'm challenging.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I never said otherwise, but it has been implied repeatedly that New Orleans is all Louisiana has going for it. That's what I'm challenging.
OK, fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.