Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 06:08 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvi View Post
Even Detroit feels a bit sexy.
Detroit is an interesting city, for sure! Lots of history in that city.

Sad part is that it's only a microcosm of what it used to be in its glory days but the remnants are still there so to speak.

I am an auto worker so i know the history of Detroit through that perspective.

If you have any questions about Detroit, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 02:52 AM

12 posts, read 48,224 times
Thank you again.

I am very delighted with the replies you have written.
Right now it seems that I should cancel the internship and focus on discovering America.
Yea, I cannot do that, but maybe I should take an extra month (or too) for just travelling around.
My problem seems to be that I do not want to run through different places. My friends have invited me to the U.S. - they often have like trips of two weeks I avoid it, because it is nothing! I cannot see anything. Maybe a few night clubs in Manhattan. But that is not America (okay, it is, but a very small part of it).
As it comes to picking the very right State for spending the internship time ... Yea, the postings (have) help(ed) me to understand, what places would be more suitable than the others.

And hehehee.. I was born in the former soviet union (Estonia), they did a lot of propaganda against the U.S .. so anyway.. I asked my father, what the most dangerous city in the world was (I was kind of into that stuff) and he answered CHICAGO ...Since then, I have always wanted to see the city

thanks again

Last edited by tarvi; 11-11-2006 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: wanted to add something :)

Old 11-11-2006, 08:39 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Thank you again.

I am very delighted with the replies you have written.
Right now it seems that I should cancel the internship and focus on discovering America.
Yea, I cannot do that, but maybe I should take an extra month (or too) for just travelling around.
My problem seems to be that I do not want to run through different places. My friends have invited me to the U.S. - they often have like trips of two weeks I avoid it, because it is nothing! I cannot see anything. Maybe a few night clubs in Manhattan. But that is not America (okay, it is, but a very small part of it).
As it comes to picking the very right State for spending the internship time ... Yea, the postings (have) help(ed) me to understand, what places would be more suitable than the others.

And hehehee.. I was born in the former soviet union (Estonia), they did a lot of propaganda against the U.S .. so anyway.. I asked my father, what the most dangerous city in the world was (I was kind of into that stuff) and he answered CHICAGO ...Since then, I have always wanted to see the city

thanks again
I personally love Chicago. I think your dad was think Al Capone! It's a beautiful city with amazing architecture and amenities. I know when I'm in Europe, I prefer to stay in one place and just become part of the area for the time I'm there. I've done the "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" thing years ago and that's exhausting and dissatisfying. If I'm in Paris, I stay a week and buy a Metro ticket and then zip around to wherever I want to go at my own speed and have a ball. When I'm in Germany, I stay in a little village called Voerstetten just outside Freiburg in Baden-Wuerttemburg with a family who're friends and I just do what they do, get up when they get up, eat when they eat, etc. I usually wake up when the light comes through the windows and they sleep late, so I'd get up and walk to a bakery and buy the morning breakfast of cheeses and croissants, baked goods, etc. then come back and make coffee while waiting for my German friends to wake up. No pressure, no schedules, go with the flow. That's fun for me. But I've already done Europe's castles, Versailles, Chartres, Windsor Castle, Tower of London, Warwick Castle, Castel Gondolfo, The Vatican, the Louvre...all that stuff back in the 70's. I don't have an interest in that anymore. I go now and just blend into daily life and find that most satisfying. For you, at your young age, I'd go somewhere exciting that gives you excitement and variety. Chicago would be a wonderful starter.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:12 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
Chicago would be a wonderful starter, as Mark said. It is not a city to be afraid of, really. You will enjoy it. The gem of the midwest, IMO.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 AM

My dad answered CHICAGO, because the Soviet newspapers told stories about, how gangsters did this and that in Chicago
Of course, most of the stuff they wrote in the newspapers was crap

Old 11-11-2006, 11:10 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
My dad answered CHICAGO, because the Soviet newspapers told stories about, how gangsters did this and that in Chicago
Of course, most of the stuff they wrote in the newspapers was crap
The Soviet papers were right.....if it was 1929 Al Capone, gangsters, The Valentines Day Massacre...yep...they did have gangsters then.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:42 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
What a terrific opportunity you have in front of you and I think it's great that you're taking advantage of it. I've long felt that everyone should try to live and work abroad, at least for a bit, just for a change in culture and scenery and to open their eyes to different mindsets and worldviews.

I have to echo what others have said in that the U.S. is simply too large for there to be any ONE place where you can be in easy access to all that the U.S. has to offer. There are many people who have lived in the U.S. their entire lives who have only been to a handful of our 50 states. There's people in the Midwest who have never seen the ocean. There's people in Florida who have never seen snow. There's people everywhere who have never been to New York or DC or Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

The U.S. is such a diverse country in terms of people, topography and climate, that it is actually very similar to the European continent rather than one particular country. Americans are often lampooned abroad for the comparatively low numbers of people who have passports and travel abroad. Well, one reason for this is the fact that we have so much variation within our own country that there isn't as much need to venture outside the borders (although I do wish more Americans would). In other words, if Danes want a respite from the cold weather, or to go to a good beach, they go to Italy or Spain or Cyprus. Americans can just go to Florida. Brits who want to go skiing, go to Switzerland or Austria. Americans can just go to Colorado. While it's easy to become jaded by it when living in it for such a long time, the truth is when you sit back and look at it, from a physical standpoint, America is a remarkable country.

I think the two "hotspots" for you to focus on would be as others have said, California, and then the urban Eastern Seaboard. I would recommend doing your internship somewhere on the East Coast in between Boston and DC. This area is very well-served by public transportion on both a local and national level. I'm not sure if you'll have a car while you're here, but if not, if you work in let's say Philadelphia, you can catch a train and be in New York in 90 minutes or DC in under three hours, and then there's the rolling hills of the Poconos only 90 minutes away (by car/bus), and the Jersey Shore in all of it's glorious Americana tackiness is two hours away. You should definitely see both New York and DC while you're here. I feel like the NYC-Boston-Philly-DC area has the most "weekend trip" potential with so many places within a day's drive.

California offers the most diverse natural setting with deserts, snow-capped mountains, beaches, and rolling hills in various parts. You have all that there is to see in the entertainment capital of the world in Los Angeles, the American laid-back California beach lifestye and such, San Francisco which is perhaps America's most unique city, Lake Tahoe with it's skiing and outdoor recreation, the desert oasis of Palm Springs, Las Vegas in all of it's excessive grandeur, and the stark beauty of the desert Southwest.

If you have the chance and the financial means, I would definitely recommend sticking around for a bit longer after your internship ends and doing some sightseeing. I would recommend getting an International Drivers' license and renting a car while here to do that sightseeing as the U.S. is a fairly car-centric culture and train and bus service is nowhere near up to par (although it's okay in the Northeastern US), especially in comparison with Europe.

I also have say to as a warning, American beaches for the most part are NOT like the pristine calm waters of the Mediterranean. I've swam in the Mediterranean and am not sure if I could go back to what passes for beaches in this country. I have a friend from Cyprus who was disgusted by the water that Americans swim in here. He refused to even touch it. Not all beaches are like that of course, but the majority I've seen on the Eastern seaboard are.

Last edited by dullnboring; 11-11-2006 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: multiple spelling mistakes

Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Yes, i agree with alot of what has been posted in the thread.

One thing though, anyone and everyone at least once in their lifetime should take a cross country trip from coast to coast in the U.S., granted if you have plenty of time (and money) it helps.

As mentioned, there are plenty of sub-cultures in the U.S.

Another great way to see the U.S. is to get a National Park pass for 50 dollars (has the price went up since?) that gives you access to all the parks. These parks include the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Petrified Forest, Saguaro-etc.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:47 PM

Hi again

Once again: thanks

About the gangsters and Chicago. Yes, I am aware of the 1929 stuff in Chicago, but the Soviet propaganda was something else. There was a story, for example, about a regular day in Chicago how the bullets were constantly whirring in the air and so on I wish I could find the article, it would be funny for you to read it, I'm more than sure.
But that is a totally different subject, I could tell hundreds of stories about the time. It is funny as well as sad.. but yea, that's history.

Yes, I do drive, but I am not sure, if I can afford a car, while being in the U.S... Of course I can rent it once in a while..

So I should consider either California or the eastern coast.. and maybe Chicago (despite of the whirring bullets )..

Old 11-11-2006, 05:53 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Well I agree with whoever said there was no best place. But the top 5 places I'd recommend every foreigner see are:

1) NYC- You MUST visit the big apple. It's truly the one place where every culture meets to form a thriving city.
2) Las Vegas- The city of sin is another great choice. The entertainment capital of the US (and quite possibly the world). Hundreds of hotels and canisos plus thousands upon thousands of resturants.
3) San Fransisco- This city is another place where every culture seems to meet and blend. It's also one of the most expensive cities to live in the US (funny....$1,000,000 gets you a small condo). A very rich history also.
4) Washington D.C.- The nation's capital is one of the busiest tourist destinations in the US and for good reason. Check out all the monuments, the museums, and all the other historical sites.
5) Miami- Another American city that goes to the beat of its' own drummer. Miami has one of those atmospheres that screams "Flip-flops are all you need". Just a very cool and interesting city.

There's my top 5 choices but wherever you chose I'm sure you'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.