Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern states feels the most Western?
Minnesota 4 5.33%
North Dakota 3 4.00%
South Dakota 48 64.00%
Nebraska 11 14.67%
Kansas 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:24 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I would say there are three - the western parts of South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas. Minnesota doesn't seem western, at all.
I think socioculturally Minnesota is pretty similar to the Pacific Northwest though, especially comparing the natives of both regions. In some ways Minneapolis has more in common with Seattle and Portland than it does with cities like Cleveland and Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
^^Minnesota is very midwestern. Lots of churchgoers, while Portland and Seattle are among the most unchurched cities in the country. Just one example.

As Philadelphia is not the midwest, and Cleveland is marginal, I don't know why they are part of the discussion.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:51 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Nebraska and South Dakota are both very western terrain-wise. Sandhills, badlands, toadstool, black hills, fort robinson area, wildcat hills, buttes, mesas etc. 3/4ths of both states are very western

Kansas and North Dakota are next with Minnesota and Iowa a distant next in line.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Minnesota is very midwestern. Lots of churchgoers, while Portland and Seattle are among the most unchurched cities in the country. Just one example.

As Philadelphia is not the midwest, and Cleveland is marginal, I don't know why they are part of the discussion.
Agreed. Culturally, Minnesota is Midwestern through and through--not really anything like the Pac NW, and I never understand the comparison.

My vote is either for South Dakota, or western Nebraska. However, the bulk of Nebraska population is very Midwestern, in my experience.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:05 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,987 times
I think the MN to OR/WA comparison is more apt when people are talking about Minneapolis/St. Paul to Seattle or Portland. Rural MN, especially Western or Southern MN, shares a lot more in common with the Dakotas, Iowa, or Wisconsin.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Agreed. Culturally, Minnesota is Midwestern through and through--not really anything like the Pac NW, and I never understand the comparison.

My vote is either for South Dakota, or western Nebraska. However, the bulk of Nebraska population is very Midwestern, in my experience.
I wont argue the population. Even though we are far from being rust-belt as manufacturing isnt a a major part of our economy.

Outside of agriculture, Nebraska is very balanced and diversified. Omaha specifically has five fortune 500 companies and 10 fortune 1000. So we are similar to a smaller Minneapolis.

That said 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the state is very western 'terrain-wise'

Old 05-19-2015, 07:11 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I wont argue the population. Even though we are far from being rust-belt as manufacturing isnt a a major part of our economy.

Outside of agriculture, Nebraska is very balanced and diversified. Omaha specifically has five fortune 500 companies and 10 fortune 1000. So we are similar to a smaller Minneapolis.

Sure, you don't have to be rust belt to be Midwestern, e.g. Columbus, Indianapolis, portions of central Illinois, Madison, large chunks of Iowa, etc.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Sure, you don't have to be rust belt to be Midwestern, e.g. Columbus, Indianapolis, portions of central Illinois, Madison, large chunks of Iowa, etc.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Omaha is very Minneapolisish, Lincoln is more Madisonish. I wouldnt want these cities to be any other way.

Last edited by Omahahonors; 05-19-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I think the MN to OR/WA comparison is more apt when people are talking about Minneapolis/St. Paul to Seattle or Portland. Rural MN, especially Western or Southern MN, shares a lot more in common with the Dakotas, Iowa, or Wisconsin.
About 60% of the population of MN lives in the Minneapolis MSA. Minneapolis drives Minnesota.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post

Isn't the divisor between the humid midwest/east and the arid west the 100th meridian, just a little more than halfway (west) across Nebraska? Of course, there's no actual dividing line like that, it's more gradual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.