Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern states feels the most Western?
Minnesota 4 5.33%
North Dakota 3 4.00%
South Dakota 48 64.00%
Nebraska 11 14.67%
Kansas 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times

Advertisements

I was watching a show at a buddy's house yesterday (basically, it was on and we were having beers and not really paying attention). There was a couple looking at cabins. My friend has sailed entire summers many times in his life, usually around Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. Lots of races, but lots of leisure sailing, as well. He's intimately acquainted with the 3 Western Great Lakes, and I consider myself an amateur expert at it. Both of us were looking at the shorelines they were showing, and guessed Great Lakes (it was never stated while we were listening). Every different shot, we were looking at the horizon (can't see it on the ocean or the GLs), the pine trees, the rocks/beaches, and so on, and guessed Lake Superior. The terrain, the waves, and so forth, seemed to indicate it. At the end, it turns out it was on the Pacific in the Northwest. So I guess it really can be hard to tell the difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 05:56 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,850,896 times
The Upper Peninsula and the Northwoods of Minnesota have that remote, empty feel and the mostly coniferous forests that I associate with Alaska and parts of the PNW like the Olympic Peninsula.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,634,243 times
I consider the Western parts of South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas to be the West. South Dakota is definitely the most western in look and culture though

Last edited by Mezter; 10-19-2020 at 07:55 PM..

Old 10-20-2020, 10:46 PM

15,190 posts, read 8,784,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I voted SD because of the Black Hills and Badlands, which are probably the most significant "western" landscapes east of the actual Mountain West states.
Yep, as far as I'm concerned, the West starts at the Black Hills.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:45 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialgatime321 View Post
Where would you draw the line, culturally, between the west and the midwest in Nebraska, or the other plains states for that matter? One user said west of North Platte. What do you think? I would argue Pierre in South Dakota is Midwestern, anything east of the Missouri River is Midwestern, most of what's west of the 100th meridian is Western, what do you think?
The dividing line in the Dakotas between the Midwest and West is the Missouri River. In Nebraska and Kansas it is highway 183 that divides the Midwest from the West. However, one could make the argument that the only areas of Nebraska and Kansas that are the Midwest are the eastern 1/4 of both states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.