Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 857 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Thank you for checking out my post. I'm a native california gal, mid 30's, single, and looking for a better quality of life. I'm considering the Austin area or perhaps Knoxville as the cost of living calculations tell me housing is 60% lower than San Diego, where I currently live. Jobs seems plentiful in both areas (I work in human resources and attend my university online). I have a horse that will need boarding and I also would like to find housing in an area that is quiet (definitely not in the cities - I'm over that!) and has significant room around me. Can anyone give me some names of neighborhoods or neighboring towns in either of these areas so assist in my research? Also, any additional thoughts on these areas in general would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I have a friend in Austin and it's become expensive there, and the traffic is horrible.

I am a CA native and moved to TN for 5 years. The humidity is terrible and the winters are icy. And the culture is difficult to get used to.

I will say that I love Texans, though. If I had to move anywhere farther east and south, I'd move to TX. I don't know if traffic would be better around Houston?

What about moving to a different area of CA? Look at the Redding area. It's affordable and there is a large horse culture there.

At any rate, I think culture-wise and weather-wise, you'd be happier staying in the west. Even if you look at Denver, for instance. Human resources will be needed anywhere there are jobs, so you should have a lot of options.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:33 PM

282 posts, read 351,005 times
I moved from SoCal to Dallas.

In terms of living standards, most people in Dallas have higher living standards than SoCal. Austin is a nicer city though.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,585 times
Split the difference and look at Northwest Arkansas.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:27 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I have a friend in Austin and it's become expensive there, and the traffic is horrible.

I am a CA native and moved to TN for 5 years. The humidity is terrible and the winters are icy. And the culture is difficult to get used to.

I will say that I love Texans, though. If I had to move anywhere farther east and south, I'd move to TX. I don't know if traffic would be better around Houston?

What about moving to a different area of CA? Look at the Redding area. It's affordable and there is a large horse culture there.

At any rate, I think culture-wise and weather-wise, you'd be happier staying in the west. Even if you look at Denver, for instance. Human resources will be needed anywhere there are jobs, so you should have a lot of options.
I'm not very impressed with Redding. Seems kind of hick and it's extremely hot, I mean you might as well be in Tennessee if you move there lol. It looks really boring there too. Aside from escapades to the Redwood Country and Sierras I can't see any plus of living in Redding.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:33 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Climate in TN generally goes cooler the further east and higher in altitude you go.
During the summer there can sometimes be a 'feels like' difference of 20 degrees between someplace like Memphis and northeast TN (one of the reasons I moved away from Memphis!). Also in my experience winter precipitation here tends less towards ice, that is more common in middle and west TN. We seem to get more snow, though it's not a lot by any means.
Research the weather thoroughly in the cities you want to compare if that is a major factor for you..

Old 05-20-2015, 10:00 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
You will feel that you have more "elbow room" in Knoxville. Rural areas can be found 15 - 20 minutes from downtown.

You might check out Lexington and Louisville KY as well. They have the horsey culture.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM

371 posts, read 543,657 times
I second Kentucky to look into.

Austin is pretty crowded. There is more of a country feel outside of Austin in Manor though. It is extremely hot and most of Texas is pretty humid.

Have you considered North Carolina as well? There may be some areas of interest over there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.