Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state has the best weather BESIDES California?
Hawaii 34 35.05%
Florida 5 5.15%
Texas 1 1.03%
Nevada 3 3.09%
Arizona 7 7.22%
Georgia 2 2.06%
South Carolina 3 3.09%
Delaware 0 0%
North Carolina 3 3.09%
Louisiana 0 0%
Indiana 2 2.06%
Kentucky 0 0%
Virginia 6 6.19%
New Mexico 5 5.15%
Tennessee 1 1.03%
Colorado 8 8.25%
Oregon 5 5.15%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Washington 4 4.12%
Other 8 8.25%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:37 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times

Advertisements

A lot of the so called good weather in CA is a largely hype. The best weather most folks talk about is mostly confined to the narrow coastal zone in SoCal. Inland it gets into the 90's the summer and close to freezing in the winter and can on occasion snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 09:12 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
I choose SC, but also like FL and northern AZ weather to.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Huh? California has some of the coldest summers in the country.
In some places sure. Maybe if you live on a beach. Like any other state temps vary depending upon where you go. I think the OP could have narrowed down his location sites within California a bit.

I can go to San Francisco visiting a friend and be chilly and to LA to visit family and be warm. That will also depend upon the time of year. But I won't get my four distinct seasons like I will in Ohio. Like I said, different strokes.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
My vote goes to AZ (not because Im being a homer), but IMO, our weather is better than CA's, and here's why... Its drier. Going to CA from AZ feels humid to me. When it rains here, we dont get mudslides. Its sunnier. Its less windy, too. Yes, we are much hotter in summer (Phoenix area), but warmer in winter for the most part, too. Overall I think AZ has better weather because the entire state is sunny year round, unlike CA, and has less natural disasters than CA.

And CA does get tornadoes. Didnt LA just get one a few months ago? Granted it was a rare thing, but it can and does happen. And I wont mention the earthquakes. lol

Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times
California has highly varied climates. The northwestern parts of the state have summer highs in the 60s, generally cloudy/ overcast and lots of rain similar to the pacific northwest. The central valley has hot summers, fairly cold winters (freezing temps overnight are common), and lots of fog in the winter. The mountains have snowy winters and four-season climates. The coast from San Francisco to Point Conception has foggy and cool weather but relatively little rain, while the coast south of there has what many consider the best weather in the country, since it is rarely hot or cold and generally sunny. Then there are the desert areas...

Other states have various weather as well. My favorite weather is in the vicinity of New York City (winter cold enough to snow but not too cold; glorious springtime; summer is hot with thunderstorms but not too hot; fall is perfect). However I would take a pass on upstate NY weather.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:57 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
My vote goes to AZ (not because Im being a homer), but IMO, our weather is better than CA's, and here's why... Its drier. Going to CA from AZ feels humid to me. When it rains here, we dont get mudslides. Its sunnier. Its less windy, too. Yes, we are much hotter in summer (Phoenix area), but warmer in winter for the most part, too. Overall I think AZ has better weather because the entire state is sunny year round, unlike CA, and has less natural disasters than CA.

And CA does get tornadoes. Didnt LA just get one a few months ago? Granted it was a rare thing, but it can and does happen. And I wont mention the earthquakes. lol
Yeah you just get flash floods....

Old 05-21-2015, 01:00 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
A lot of the so called good weather in CA is a largely hype. The best weather most folks talk about is mostly confined to the narrow coastal zone in SoCal. Inland it gets into the 90's the summer and close to freezing in the winter and can on occasion snow.
Well it does get up to 130 °F in Death Valley.

Death Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-21-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah you just get flash floods....
Everywhere gets flash floods. We had them in Illinois every summer it seemed. The difference here is that the water is gone within sometimes 15 minutes, whereas IL it would stick around for days and days. Last September we had a record rainstorm dump tons of rain, and it flash-flooded horribly. Cars were stranded on the I-10 here, water up to their roofs. Not even 8 hours later I was driving home on that same highway, with not even one inch of wet road surface left. Its amazing what desert dry air and heat will do, coupled with intense sunshine. It blew my mind.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Everywhere gets flash floods. We had them in Illinois every summer it seemed. The difference here is that the water is gone within sometimes 15 minutes, whereas IL it would stick around for days and days. Last September we had a record rainstorm dump tons of rain, and it flash-flooded horribly. Cars were stranded on the I-10 here, water up to their roofs. Not even 8 hours later I was driving home on that same highway, with not even one inch of wet road surface left. Its amazing what desert dry air and heat will do, coupled with intense sunshine. It blew my mind.
Desert areas more susceptible to them though.

Also a flood that sticks around for more than 6-hours isn't a "flash flood".

Old 05-21-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Desert areas more susceptible to them though.

Also a flood that sticks around for more than 6-hours isn't a "flash flood".
It was classified as "flash flooding" in IL, but it was so humid at times that the water wouldnt go away. Thats what I was getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.