Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:45 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this is a broad question. I am watching Alaska: The Last Frontier (Atz Lee et al.) with my son. They are featuring neighbors throughout the years that helped them out. I so like and appreciate good neighbors and a strong sense of community.

What places are stand outs for such a thing? Big or small cities. What places if any are known for neighborliness?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:01 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
This is something New Orleans is infamous for. No matter what are of town you live, your neighbors have your back. They help you move new furniture in. They look after your property when you're not home without being asked. If they're mowing their lawn and notice yours hasn't been cut in a while, they'll go on and cut your grass too. When they pull out the grill everybody gets a plate.

I could go on...

Old 05-25-2015, 07:25 PM

16 posts, read 16,653 times
Chicago is a city of small, close neighborhoods. Chicagoans are all Chicagoans, but we tend to identify with our neighborhoods first. When you meet someone new in Chicago, "what neighborhood do you live in" will be in the first three or four introductory questions. That said, I have lived in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood for some time and I have never felt MORE of a sense of community in my life. Though the city is huge and my neighborhood has about 110,000 people in it, I feel comfortable. I attend community meetings, know all of my local store owners, etc. To put it simply, if I were to drop my wallet on my block, I know it would find it's way back to me.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:53 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
I believe the most neighborly and community-oriented neighborhoods in DC are Brookland, Eckington, LeDroit Park, Bloomingdale, Historic Anacostia, Fort DuPont, Takoma, Penn Branch, Capitol Hill, Shepard Park, Michigan Park, Petworth, Adams Morgan, Hillcrest, Woodley Park, Tenleytown, Shaw, Mount Pleasant, etc. among others.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:36 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit, Milwaukee

Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankOkay View Post
Chicago is a city of small, close neighborhoods. Chicagoans are all Chicagoans, but we tend to identify with our neighborhoods first. When you meet someone new in Chicago, "what neighborhood do you live in" will be in the first three or four introductory questions. That said, I have lived in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood for some time and I have never felt MORE of a sense of community in my life. Though the city is huge and my neighborhood has about 110,000 people in it, I feel comfortable. I attend community meetings, know all of my local store owners, etc. To put it simply, if I were to drop my wallet on my block, I know it would find it's way back to me.
So true. I am from Chicago originally and would love to live in a neighborhoodly place like Chicago, walkable, architecture, etc. BUT w/o the crime, crazy taxes, and winters.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:41 PM

Thanks tcave and clevelander. I have never been to Cleveland. Was just in DC and enjoyed walking to places. We were in the Capitol Hill area. I was also a bit removed from wearing my city game face - but I quickly remembered. I hadn't been on public transportation in a while and at times felt like a wide eyed naive one - I'm from Chicago and road the el many a time lol.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:35 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks tcave and clevelander. I have never been to Cleveland. Was just in DC and enjoyed walking to places. We were in the Capitol Hill area. I was also a bit removed from wearing my city game face - but I quickly remembered. I hadn't been on public transportation in a while and at times felt like a wide eyed naive one - I'm from Chicago and road the el many a time lol.
Lol Glad you had a great time What did you do in DC?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:06 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankOkay View Post
^Totally agree with this. Chicago really is made up of several of neighborhoods that really do function like mini cities. Each has their own unique food/restaurants, shopping, night life, attractions, etc. You really do feel a sense of community and neighborliness in them. It makes living in the city fun because you never run out of places to explore. Downtown and surrounding areas (i.e. River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast- although there are some nice residential, neighborly areas of the Gold Coast even) are fun, but you really experience the community of Chicago once you start venturing into the neighborhoods.

I was at a local restaurant in Ravenswood for a birthday dinner for a work colleague. I had driven through Ravenswood before but never really got to take in the neighborhood before. It is an awesome neighborhood and you could see it's independent sense of community. Just one of the many in Chicago!!!

Old 05-30-2015, 11:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Yep, Chicago. Everybody at the very least, not just neighbors but ven strangers on the bus, love to talk about the weather or politics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.