Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 12:25 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
They aren't 100% similar. But NoVa is the Silicon Valley of the East and has similar demographics to the Bay Area with large Asian and Hispanic populations.
I thought Boston was still ahead? I know DC is catching up rather quickly though, particularly in cybersecurity and defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 12:36 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
I doubt there's ANYONE, in real life, who thinks of the west coast, when they're on the east coast. This forum isn't real life, you know.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:41 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I thought Boston was still ahead? I know DC is catching up rather quickly though, particularly in cybersecurity and defense.
Don't know if NoVa has caught up to Boston. But NoVa boosters are pushing for Amazon and Apple to move there.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:44 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
They aren't 100% similar. But NoVa is the Silicon Valley of the East and has similar demographics to the Bay Area with large Asian and Hispanic populations. And unlike the other East Coast cities. Most Hispanics in NoVa are Central American rather than Caribbean Latino. And the White populations are largely Limousine Liberal yupsters. San Francisco is not the city of Danny Tanner anymore. That's an outdated view of the current Bay Area. Which is dominated by the Tech industry.
Northern Virginia is full of defense contractors. And these are largely people coming from the Southeastern U.S. and often have a more conservative political orientation compared to someone working for Facebook or Google.

And saying that most white people are limousine liberal yupsters shows you've never lived in DC and know little about the region or shows you just lump all Democratic voters together. DC has more of the highly-educated and technocratic Democratic voter. San Francisco has more of the die-hard environmentalist, social activist type of Democratic voter. These aren't exactly the same. San Francisco has a history of protest and activism and leans far more to the left than the DC area on nearly all issues.

The Danny Tanner part was a joke. My point was that the Bay Area does have a home-grown non-Hispanic White culture (just look at the Black Hole in Raiders stadium) whereas DC has very little of that, and the very little that exists is a bit Southern-leaning in the Virginia and Maryland exurbs. DC is so transient that its sport stadiums are more likely to get taken over by fans of the opposing team more so than any other city in America. Maybe Florida and Arizona can give them a run for their money.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:17 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Northern Virginia is full of defense contractors. And these are largely people coming from the Southeastern U.S. and often have a more conservative political orientation compared to someone working for Facebook or Google.

And saying that most white people are limousine liberal yupsters shows you've never lived in DC and know little about the region or shows you just lump all Democratic voters together. DC has more of the highly-educated and technocratic Democratic voter. San Francisco has more of the die-hard environmentalist, social activist type of Democratic voter. These aren't exactly the same. San Francisco has a history of protest and activism and leans far more to the left than the DC area on nearly all issues.

The Danny Tanner part was a joke. My point was that the Bay Area does have a home-grown non-Hispanic White culture (just look at the Black Hole in Raiders stadium) whereas DC has very little of that, and the very little that exists is a bit Southern-leaning in the Virginia and Maryland exurbs. DC is so transient that its sport stadiums are more likely to get taken over by fans of the opposing team more so than any other city in America. Maybe Florida and Arizona can give them a run for their money.
If only San Diego teams had the fan base of Arizona or Florida...

Old 11-19-2019, 02:30 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I doubt there's ANYONE, in real life, who thinks of the west coast, when they're on the east coast. This forum isn't real life, you know.
Not sure about that? I certainly do when I’m sweltering while getting bite by mosquitos in the summer, or freezing my arse off mid fall to mid spring. I’m sure there’s plenty of transplants, and natives alike, that wish they weren’t there. Just like I’m sure it is here for the east coast.

I will say I agree with you about city data not being real life. All people ever did in the Midwest while I was in college, or now visiting my wife’s family/friends on the east coast, is complain about the weather. You come on this site and hardly anyone ever has anything bad to say about it, and usually it’s the opposite about severe weather. I find most posts very disingenuous in that regard.

As for the thread question, I don’t think any city really does. Miami certainly doesn’t, I don’t know where people came up with that one? I’m sure you can find similarities amongst certain groups or industries, but it ends there.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Not sure about that? I certainly do when I’m sweltering while getting bite by mosquitos in the summer, or freezing my arse off mid fall to mid spring. I’m sure there’s plenty of transplants, and natives alike, that wish they weren’t there. Just like I’m sure it is here for the east coast.

I will say I agree with you about city data not being real life. All people ever did in the Midwest while I was in college, or now visiting my wife’s family/friends on the east coast, is complain about the weather. You come on this site and hardly anyone ever has anything bad to say about it, and usually it’s the opposite about severe weather. I find most posts very disingenuous in that regard.

As for the thread question, I don’t think any city really does. Miami certainly doesn’t, I don’t know where people came up with that one? I’m sure you can find similarities amongst certain groups or industries, but it ends there.
I don't love the cold, but we're fairly newly retired, and staying in the Midwest. It's not perfect, but some of us, actually, love it here. Also, the months of cold are greatly exaggerated.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:59 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I’d say Northern Virginia also.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:52 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I said earlier that NoVa isn't 100% like the Bay Area. There's places like Reston which has a large number of Tech Companies similar to the Silicon Valley. Those companies tend to bring in people with a similar mindset to those in the Bay Area. Which is my point.

How Reston Became the Place for Tech Expansion

Quote:
Dating back to the early days of America Online, Northern Virginia has attracted numerous tech companies and continues to do so. Amazon recently announced its expansion plans into nearby Arlington and now Google Inc. is poised to nearly double its workforce in Reston. The tech giant resides at Reston Town Center but according to reports, is making plans to expand to 1900 Reston Metro Plaza, a prominent office building located next to the Wiehle-Reston East Metro station.
Quote:
Google plans to lease approximately 90,000 square feet on the top floors of Reston’s 16-floor trophy building.
Precise details of the move haven't been officially announced, but permits indicate Google plans to complete its expansion sometime during 2020.
Google had previously increased its Northern Virginia presence in nearby Loudoun County, west of Reston.
Google's services are continuously in demand in Northern Virginia, and it seems by all indications the company is responding to this market demand.
Quote:

Uh. Nancy Pelosi is a technocratic type Democrat from San Francisco who's won her seat for the last 30 years and beat a social activist type in her last election. Most Democrats in the Bay Area are more like Pelosi than AOC.

Here's what I mean with NoVa having similar Demographics to Californian cities.

Fairfax County VA
Quote:
62.68% White
9.17% Black or African American
0.36% Native American
17.53% Asian
0.07% Pacific Islander
4.54% other races
3.65% two or more races.
15.58% Hispanics or Latinos of any race.
Santa Clara County, CA

Quote:
55.59% White,
2.29% African American,
0.53% Native American,
29.27% Asian,
0.43% Pacific Islander,
6.94% from other races,
4.95% from two or more races.
15.99% of the population are Hispanic
Fairfax County has a larger Black population, and Santa Clara county has a larger Asian population. But the overall racial demographics are similar. As the Hispanics in the DC Area are largely Mexican/Central American like in the Bay Area instead of Dominican and Puerto Rican like in other Bos-Wash cities.

Last edited by hipcat; 11-19-2019 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 07:21 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I said earlier that NoVa isn't 100% like the Bay Area. There's places like Reston which has a large number of Tech Companies similar to the Silicon Valley. Those companies tend to bring in people with a similar mindset to those in the Bay Area. Which is my point.
There aren't many companies similar to those in the Bay Area. These are companies providing data solutions for the federal government and often more specifically for the Department of Defense. We had a thread about this in the DC forum years ago.

Anyone who says NoVa and NorCal are culturally similar doesn't know what they're talking about.

The most obvious difference between these two cities, of course, is that DC has a historically large Black population and professional class, which sort of makes the Bay Area-DC comparisons a non-starter. It's really more similar to Atlanta in that regard. In fact, Atlanta has nearly the same proportion of Asians and Hispanics as the DC area.

Quote:
Uh. Nancy Pelosi is a technocratic type Democrat from San Francisco who's won her seat for the last 30 years and beat a social activist type in her last election. Most Democrats in the Bay Area are more like Pelosi than AOC.
I didn't say most. I said the Bay Area has a strain of liberal activism that has never existed in the DC area outside of protests at Howard University back in the 60s. DC is simply not that type of town. It's a government town where people where people aren't trying to buck the status quo. It's a completely different ethos from the Bay Area where even tech geeks in Silicon Valley talk about a big game about "creativity" and "disruption."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.