Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.42%
San Francisco 10 2.72%
San Diego 7 1.90%
Minneapolis 102 27.72%
Oklahoma City 50 13.59%
Houston 72 19.57%
Phoenix 54 14.67%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.41%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 07:07 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, I don't know why Denver/the Front Range is praised as having idyllic weather. It's a continental climate subject to all the extremes. It gets intense blizzards, wildfires, tornadoes/severe thunderstorms, heat waves, subzero weather, drought, ice storms, etc. Snow can occur as late as June and as early as September. The one difference is that it is an arid climate overall so not humid, which does make a difference in the summer. Of course, there's a lot that's appealing about Denver, especially outdoorsy stuff. But its weather is very, very unpredictable.
Like whatever weather you want, but lets try to be accurate.

Blizzards - Yes

Wildfires? - There are no forests in Denver

Tornados? - LOL, Severe storms come in over the mountains at high altitude. They are normally well east of Denver before sinking down to 5000ft. on the eastern plains.
Thunderstorms? - I wish, but very rare.
Heat waves? - If you call mid 90's in July a heatwave...ok? Long periods of high 90's - very rare
Subzero? - Average January Lows are closer to 15 above, Denver's Lowest temp so far this year was 3 above.

Drought - Occasionally - like every other SouthWest State. But nothing like AZ. or Cali.
Ice Storms - Yes
Hail - Yes :-(
I've been here 14 years and have never seen snow (in Denver) in June or in September. So again, very rare.

Climate Denver - Colorado and Weather averages Denver

Last edited by Good Red Road; 03-06-2016 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Like whatever weather you want, but lets try to be accurate.

Blizzards - Yes

Wildfires? - There are no forests in Denver
You seem rather ignorant of Denver's climate. I was also referencing the entire Front Range

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire - Hayman is 95 miles away from Denver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Park_fire - Just outside of Ft. Collins
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_Canyon_fire - Right outside of Colorado Springs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_Fire - Right outside of Colorado Springs

Quote:
Tornados? - LOL, Severe storms come in over the mountains at high altitude. They are normally well east of Denver before sinking down to 5000ft. on the eastern plains.
Thunderstorms? - I wish, but very rare.
Denver weather: Storm uproots trees, causes flooding; tornado spotted in Aurora - The Denver Post

Quote:
Heat waves? - If you call mid 90's in July a heatwave...ok? Long periods of high 90's - very rare
Denver record for 100-degree days set to climb this weekend - The Denver Post

Quote:
Subzero? - Average January Lows are closer to 15 above, Denver's Lowest temp so far this year was 3 above.
Denver metro area faces subzero temps into Wednesday | FOX31 Denver

Quote:
Drought - Occasionally - like every other SouthWest State. But nothing like AZ. or Cali.
Ice Storms - Yes
Hail - Yes :-(
I've been here 14 years and have never seen snow (in Denver) in June or in September. So again, very rare.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28...drought-update

You can talk about averages all you like the truth of the matter is the weather in Denver is exceptionally extreme.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:38 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You seem rather ignorant of Denver's climate. I was also referencing the entire Front Range

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire - Hayman is 95 miles away from Denver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Park_fire - Just outside of Ft. Collins
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_Canyon_fire - Right outside of Colorado Springs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_Fire - Right outside of Colorado Springs

Denver weather: Storm uproots trees, causes flooding; tornado spotted in Aurora - The Denver Post

Denver record for 100-degree days set to climb this weekend - The Denver Post

Denver metro area faces subzero temps into Wednesday | FOX31 Denver

Denver, 25 percent of Colorado "abnormally dry" in drought update - The Denver Post

You can talk about averages all you like the truth of the matter is the weather in Denver is exceptionally extreme.

Yes facts are facts. And the links you provided prove my points quite nicely. - Thanks.

Wildfires happen in the mountains - NOT in the cities along the front range.

Heat Wave - You had to go all the way back to 2012 to find 9 whole days above 100. Like I said - Very Rare.

Subzero - LOL, This one was my favorite because Denver went sub-zero and was a big news story.
Check out any temp graph you want. Denver doesn't get many below zero temps.

Tornados - The one you linked about was over Aurora which is south and east of Denver and didn't even touch down. The Denver post has a nice interactive map that covers tornados through the Denver area for the past 63 years. Go through this year by year and you'll see tornados often pass over and don't land, (green dots) and when they do land it almost always in the east. Adams county etc.

History of tornadoes in Colorado, 1950-2013: Interactive graphic - The Denver Post

First - Since the thread was "Which CITY has the worst weather" including the entire front range for weather comparisons is intellectually dishonest since the front range technically goes all the way to the continental divide, 14000ft. I live at 8000ft., and our weather is very very different than Denver's 5800ft.

Second - I don't need to be a "Denver Booster" , but thanks for the chuckle.
Folks are coming here in droves jacking up our traffic and our home prices. If I could dissuade them, I would.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Yes facts are facts. And the links you provided prove my points quite nicely. - Thanks.

Wildfires happen in the mountains - NOT in the cities along the front range.

Heat Wave - You had to go all the way back to 2012 to find 9 whole days above 100. Like I said - Very Rare.

Subzero - LOL, This one was my favorite because Denver went sub-zero and was a big news story.
Check out any temp graph you want. Denver doesn't get many below zero temps.

Tornados - The one you linked about was over Aurora which is south and east of Denver and didn't even touch down. The Denver post has a nice interactive map that covers tornados through the Denver area for the past 63 years. Go through this year by year and you'll see tornados often pass over and don't land, (green dots) and when they do land it almost always in the east. Adams county etc.

History of tornadoes in Colorado, 1950-2013: Interactive graphic - The Denver Post

First - Since the thread was "Which CITY has the worst weather" including the entire front range for weather comparisons is intellectually dishonest since the front range technically goes all the way to the continental divide, 14000ft. I live at 8000ft., and our weather is very very different than Denver's 5800ft.

Second - I don't need to be a "Denver Booster" , but thanks for the chuckle.
Folks are coming here in droves jacking up our traffic and our home prices. If I could dissuade them, I would.
I know people are moving there in droves. I personally think it's a great place to live, I'd move there if the timing is right. But let's not pretend the weather isn't bat **** crazy. Yes I posted metro area data because that's the preferred metric on this site. Not everyone who relocates to Denver ends up in the city proper. It does have really crazy weather.

And I was only including all of the Front Range for the wildfires. Everything else was the Denver Metro.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 3,164 times
I'm surprised to see so few results for Seattle. Yeah, it's the most moderate of temperatures, but the constant overcast is God awful.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:22 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.0.M.I.C. View Post
Americans have no idea what a truly good climate entails, that's why; their climactic tastes are far too white-bread.
Stupid white people!

Old 06-26-2018, 01:55 PM

32 posts, read 56,474 times
Anywhere not moderated by either mountains or the west coast. Great Lakes/Midwest/Bible Belt

Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 PM

754 posts, read 569,929 times
I voted OKC because of the tornado risk. I can tolerate the Northeast's cold winters, San Francisco winds, and Seattle rain.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:20 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
The worst ones:

1. Phoenix for being hot and dry
2. Houston for just being nasty hot in the summer

OKC can get unbearably hot in the summer but what redeems it is that it has some awesome thunderstorm activity.

The best climates are not listed but of the ones on the list, Minneapolis has the best climate. Four definite seasons, even precipitation throughout the year, and hot weather doesn't last long.

Seattle isn't bad either other than being too dry in the summer and being a bit blah with too mild winters.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Our "bad" weather here in the Twin Cities keeps out the undesirables and the weak, so they say.

Personally, I'd say there are maybe a handful of days each year when I am truly disgusted by the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.