Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best city in the Lower Midwest?
Kansas City, MO 23 35.94%
St. Louis, MO 11 17.19%
Indianapolis, IN 11 17.19%
Columbus, OH 19 29.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 AM

525 posts, read 719,218 times

Advertisements

I am attracted to booming Texas cities with excellent job market, such as Austin, Dallas, and Houston; however, I do not adjust well in hot summers. I prefer the cold. I am also attracted to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota but I am not sure if I could handle that kind of cold though.

Lower Midwest is perfectly in the middle when it comes to climate so I have been looking into Lower Midwestern cities as ideal choices for relocation/new change in life.

Affordable cost of living and good economy along with nice suburbs and good schools for children are all musts. My wife and I are both fiscally moderate and socially liberal. There should be a plenty of things to do for families with children. We like to go on dates just two of us plus we have my own Guys Night Out and her Ladies Night Out so there should be a plenty of non-family things to do as well.

My wife and I enjoy fishing, camping, hunting, and swimming at lakes once awhile. Museums, pro sports (baseball & football) and college football, amusement parks, and theatre (plays & opera) are more of my thing.

We both work in the field of education with my wife having a licensure in Deaf Education and I have experiences at university level teaching. Our jobs are mostly in the field of education and government. We plan to start out renting then buy a house eventually so property taxes need to be considered.

Do you have any suggestion for best cities in Lower Midwest to live? Please use the poll to vote on some of the cities we have been checking out.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 05-26-2015 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Kansas City isn't growing quite as fast as any of the big Texas cities, but it feels more like a Texas city than the other three you listed.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM

22 posts, read 36,642 times
I'm just curious, what's a "Texas City"? I ask because I love (and love) Kansas City, but may be moving to Houston by year's end.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I am attracted to booming Texas cities with excellent job market, such as Austin, Dallas, and Houston; however, I do not adjust well in hot summers. I prefer the cold. I am also attracted to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota but I am not sure if I could handle that kind of cold though.

Lower Midwest is perfectly in the middle when it comes to climate so I have been looking into Lower Midwestern cities as ideal choices for relocation/new change in life.

Affordable cost of living and good economy along with nice suburbs and good schools for children are all musts. My wife and I are both fiscally moderate and socially liberal. There should be a plenty of things to do for families with children. We like to go on dates just two of us plus we have my own Guys Night Out and her Ladies Night Out so there should be a plenty of non-family things to do as well.

My wife and I enjoy fishing, camping, hunting, and swimming at lakes once awhile. Museums, pro sports (baseball & football) and college football, amusement parks, and theatre (plays & opera) are more of my thing.

We both work in the field of education with my wife having a licensure in Deaf Education and I have experiences at university level teaching. Our jobs are mostly in the field of education and government. We plan to start out renting then buy a house eventually so property taxes need to be considered.

Do you have any suggestion for best cities in Lower Midwest to live? Please use the poll to vote on some of the cities we have been checking out.
Grand Rapids fits all of your criteria minus the pro sports(has minor league in all sports). Not as cold as Minneapolis, but makes up for it in snow. Very strong economy and growth in knowledge based fields.

Honestly if you're looking at Indy, Columbus and KC, I'd look at Louisville. It's refreshingly surprising. Although it can get a little sticky in the summer, but no more than the others listed.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,457 times
I'd go KC, StL, Columbus then Indy in that order.

I think there is very little recognizably "Texan" about KC, for the record. It is certainly nothing like any of the cities of Texas. In fact, the only city you listed that's anything like anyplace in Texas is Columbus, which has some pretty important things in common with Austin, i.e., capital city/colossal college town combination, growth, white collar economy, etc.

I think I'd also look at Cincinnati, which is kind of mix of KC and StL culturally and physically, and Louisville as well, which I don't consider midwestern, but is in the same climate belt and has a kind of unique vibe for a place of its size.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Indianapolis and Columbus are Lower Midwest
Cincinnati and Louisville should be in the poll instead.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Indianapolis and Columbus are Lower Midwest
Cincinnati and Louisville should be in the poll instead.
Uh....Columbus is a 2 hour drive from Kentucky (the South). Indy, less than that. Both are about 7-8 hour drive straight north to the UP.

Both are certainly in the Lower Midwest - no question. Just look at a map. I live way the hell north of both, and it's still many hours to the northern reaches of the Midwest.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:45 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Uh....Columbus is a 2 hour drive from Kentucky (the South). Indy, less than that. Both are about 7-8 hour drive straight north to the UP.

Both are certainly in the Lower Midwest - no question. Just look at a map. I live way the hell north of both, and it's still many hours to the northern reaches of the Midwest.
Yeah, both are definitely lower Midwest, and Louisville is the start of the upper South, so it wouldn't belong on the poll either.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:58 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yeah, both are definitely lower Midwest, and Louisville is the start of the upper South, so it wouldn't belong on the poll either.
If the OP is looking for something that is undeniably within the definition of the Midwest then you're right, Louisville does not belong. If the OP is looking at those cities, and would consider other cities that share similarities culturally and climate wise, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:01 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
^ I can agree with that. But those two cities are definitely lower Midwest....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.