Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Anywhere in Canada feel like Atlanta or like Los Angeles? Or Las Vegas? Or Orlando? Or Philadelphia?
Toronto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 07:41 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
We often see things like Canadian coins mixed in with our own is because such an overwhelming number of Canadians come down here to shop. That clearly isn't the case in reverse.

I take it by this you mean that Americans generally don't go to Canada to shop in large numbers. That's certainly true.

As for coins that's a different story as due to those shopping and other trips to the U.S. you average Canadian's wallet or piggy bank will usually have some American coins mixed in.

Contrary to American vending machines and other coin-operated devices, those in Canada do accept U.S. coins.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:35 PM

1,235 posts, read 942,032 times
Interstate 80 if we're not going to use state lines.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
I conducted a poll this past summer at my job and I asked customers (this was in Saint Paul) what countries they have been, and Canada ended up being the most visited country (30 people have visited) so it's not like no one here goes up there. Why wouldn't you? It's a beautiful country and close by. Minnesotans would probably feel more at home in Edmonton, Winnipeg or Ottawa than they would down in Mississippi, Alabama or Louisiana. Likewise, a Canadian would find Minnesota very similar, but by the time they get to Missouri it would be more than apparent that they're in a different country.
When did I ever imply that Upper Midwesterners don't vacation in Canada? Of course some of them do. I still don't buy the argument that similarity and proximity equate to Canada having such a "powerful influence" on the Upper Midwest. It just simply doesn't. If we had dozens of Canadian retail and restaurant chains, aired an overwhelming amount of Canadian television, radio and other media, and were lured to visit frequently for commercial opportunities that don't exist in the US, then maybe I'd buy it.

Quote:
I think you're not giving Canadians enough credit. I'd still say the Upper Midwest is more influenced by Canada than Canada is influenced by most of the US. Anywhere in Canada feel like Atlanta or like Los Angeles? Or Las Vegas? Or Orlando? Or Philadelphia?
Again, I'm not following your argument. Australia and New Zealand are extremely similar in a lot of ways to California and the Pacific Northwest. Does the West Coast have an Australian or New Zealandic influence?

Old 11-26-2019, 08:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
When did I ever imply that Upper Midwesterners don't vacation in Canada? Of course some of them do. I still don't buy the argument that similarity and proximity equate to Canada having such a "powerful influence" on the Upper Midwest. It just simply doesn't. If we had dozens of Canadian retail and restaurant chains, aired an overwhelming amount of Canadian television, radio and other media, and were lured to visit frequently for commercial opportunities that don't exist in the US, then maybe I'd buy it.

Again, I'm not following your argument. Australia and New Zealand are extremely similar in a lot of ways to California and the Pacific Northwest. Does the West Coast have an Australian or New Zealandic influence?
I agree with you, completely. I live in central Wisconsin, and I can't name a Canadian "influence" that I see. New York is closer to Canadian cities of influence than is Minnesota. Does NY have a Canadian influence, I wonder? LOL

Old 10-07-2020, 09:02 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Looking at the greater Midwest region, Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit do not fall into the top half of the Midwest.

I'd say the dividing line is roughly the longitude where Milwaukee is.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:22 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
I'd say loosely I-90, which essentially means ND,SD,MN,WI,MI are the upper midwest, which I would wholeheartedly agree with

Old 10-08-2020, 05:26 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Looking at the greater Midwest region, Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit do not fall into the top half of the Midwest.

I'd say the dividing line is roughly the longitude where Milwaukee is.
Right, the area that contains Chicago, Des Moines, Detroit, Fort Wayne, Toledo, Cleveland and Akron, is kind of a border region separating the Upper and Lower Midwest. None of those cities really seem to fall into either region very neatly.

To me upper Midwest is the north woods region and lower Midwest is the Ohio River region. In between is no mans land.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:30 PM

180 posts, read 128,385 times
I say the latitude along Chicago is the lower Midwest and the latitude along Mpls is the upper Midwest.

Even the weather is different between those two areas. It gets cold in both places, but it just seems to stay cold for much longer in Mpls, Madison, St. Paul and Milwaukee than in Chicago, Indianapolis or Columbus.
I would also include western NY in the upper Midwest. Buffalo and Rochester have more in common with Mpls than NYC.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:08 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogHawk View Post
I say the latitude along Chicago is the lower Midwest and the latitude along Mpls is the upper Midwest.

Even the weather is different between those two areas. It gets cold in both places, but it just seems to stay cold for much longer in Mpls, Madison, St. Paul and Milwaukee than in Chicago, Indianapolis or Columbus.
I would also include western NY in the upper Midwest. Buffalo and Rochester have more in common with Mpls than NYC.
I am hesitant to categorize or define Buffalo and Rochester as "Upper Midwestern" cities because both Buffalo and Rochester have larger, more prominent Italian-American populations than all Midwestern cities, including Chicago and Cleveland.

Also, it is important to note that people in Buffalo and Rochester are dyed-in-the-wool New Yorkers and consider themselves as such. Of course, they are New Yorkers with their own nuances, but New Yorkers nonetheless. Since New York State is situated along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States, is one of the Thirteen Original Colonies, is fully contained in the Eastern Time Zone and does not share a land border with any Midwestern state (unlike neighboring Pennsylvania, which actually extends farther west than New York), there is no person from Buffalo or Rochester that would ever consider themselves "Midwestern" in any sense of the term and justifiably so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.