Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 4,157 times

Advertisements

I am 21 years-old, currently finishing my AA in Criminal Justice and working full time as a Legal Assistant in a Law Firm. I get paid 10 dollars an hour and are currently working 40 hours a week.
I am looking to move out sometime in the Fall ( August September October-ish) and in with my boyfriend. He is also moving out of his parents house. He works for a construction company and makes roughly as much as I do, excluding over-time here and there. We live in South Florida.
We want to be smart about the move and carefully calculate everything before moving. I am quite the list maker so I have made list and estimates for just about everything, but somehow still feel nervous that I may have missed something.
My questions---
How much money should we have saved up?
Do we make enough to survive alone with our current jobs?
Tips that might help???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I suppose your situation is quite different as you aren't looking to move to another place, but rather stay where you are and just get your own apartment. Budget right and two people both working full-time jobs can definitely make it on their own.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:47 AM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
So you together make about $800/week - taxes of abt 15% so take home is 680 or about $2720/month. Lets take out a few necessities (monthly estimates i consider conservative) of gas 150, groceries 400, electric and water 150, car insurance 150, renters insurance 20, cable and internet 100, and misc emergency money 100. That leaves you 2 with about $1750. Given that you want probably 200-250 a week (combined, not each) at least in discretionary income I would adivse you to not spend over 750 a month. Anything over $750/month in total rent and you will quickly be falling behind and stressed. Thins like car problems, medical issues do come up and you do not want to fall behind b/c on $10 bux an hour you will have a very hard time digging yourself out. I am only 27 but it seems like yesterday i was moving into my first apartment. Also its important to note that i did not include car payments in here. That could be an easy 300= extra between two people if you end up needing new car or already have payments. DO NOT get over your head in rent or you WILL be miserable.

Last edited by 02blackgt; 05-29-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.