Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,502,706 times

Advertisements

It's true, other Latinos (especially from the Caribbean) tend to look down on Mexicans. Same way other West Indians discriminate against Haitians, and other Asians against Vietnamese. Mexicans/Chicanos run things in Texas and Southern California...like others said there are good cities for Mexicans/Chicanos like Denver & Chicago which fly under the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:39 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
Where I live, in South Texas, in my city, about 50% of the population self-identifies as Hispanic in the census, but many of them cannot speak any Spanish at all.

There are recent immigrants, who speak English with difficulty, and they are not thriving yet, they still have minimum wage jobs. But among people born here who went to school here, whether or not they thrive is a function of their individual talents and personal ambition, and whether they are "Mexican-Americans" or not has nothing to do with it.

So, I'd have to say that whether a person is Mexican American or not is not a factor in whether or not they thrive.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,978,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Washington also have thriving Mexican communities. It's not like the east coast AT ALL. I'm from the east coast. I was born and raised in Florida. Every time I go back there or anywhere on the east it's bizarre seeing how small the Mexican community is and how marginalized they are by other Hispanic and Latin groups because it's the complete opposite in the west and southwest.
Seattle has a community.

The area is a nice one, though of course the cost of living is high, and the traffic seems to be getting worse.

As for the east coast, that area is far from Mexico. Actually, I believe that area is closer to the Caribbean than Mexico.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,054,433 times
Here are some good cities where Mexican Americans thrive!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Brownsville, TX
El Paso, TX
El Centro, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
New York, NY
Santa Rosa, CA
Long Island, NY
Orange County, CA
McAllen, TX

Old 08-31-2015, 12:06 AM

387 posts, read 353,439 times
Mexicans play a huge role/huge influence over the entire West Coast (basically anywhere from Texas and West of that)...And of course the entire West Coast is heavily influenced by Spanish names, architecture, customs etc...You could argue that in LA Mexicans have even replaced Blacks as the "emulated group" by other races......

There are actually a decent amount of "Hispanics" on the East Coast (not that many Mexicans through), but those Hispanics don't play anywhere near as much of a role or have the influence that Mexicans do in Texas, California, Arizona etc.....Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and other "East Coast Hispanics" don't play anywhere near the role that Mexicans out West do....The East Coast feels much more Black/White influenced than Hispanic influenced imo...

That being said on the rare occasion I do meet a Mexican person on the East Coast they do seem to like the North-East...So I wouldn't count out a city like NYC or Boston/Washington DC....

Old 08-31-2015, 12:22 AM

387 posts, read 353,439 times
The East Coast is also all Colonial/British architecture (and has no Desert landscape) so even the look of it feels much less Mexican/Hispanic compared to the West Coast....

Old 08-31-2015, 01:31 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,895,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
where in the US do Mexican Americans thrive more.
The short answer is wherever you find a substantial number of other Mexican Americans working together for a brighter future.

The slightly longer answer is nowhere...yet.

It's a problem of perception that probably won't change until (more) leaders arrive to challenge things politically, socially, and culturally.

If you have any doubt about that ask a random person what the Mexican American stereotypes are and then ask the same question about Pakistani/East Indians.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:35 AM

707 posts, read 740,878 times
The answer is painfully obvious: New Mexico has the highest percentage of Mexican-Americans, any of those cities are gonna be a safe bet. It even has 'Mexico' in the name.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,717,403 times
Quote:
The answer is painfully obvious: New Mexico has the highest percentage of Mexican-Americans
I actually believe NM may be one of the states with one of the lower percentages of Mexican Americans in relation to its other Southwestern neighbors and even beyond. The Hispanic population is much more integrated and has ties closer to the US than to Mexico based on cultural and historical reasons. You're more likely to run into someone born/raised in Mexico say in Georgia or Arizona, then you are in New Mexico.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 AM

707 posts, read 740,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I actually believe NM may be one of the states with one of the lower percentages of Mexican Americans in relation to its other Southwestern neighbors and even beyond. The Hispanic population is much more integrated and has ties closer to the US than to Mexico based on cultural and historical reasons. You're more likely to run into someone born/raised in Mexico say in Georgia or Arizona, then you are in New Mexico.
Depends on where you go. Southern NM is definitely Mexican oriented, while the north is more Spanish. Either way if your hispanic, you make up the majority of the NM population, and are never "fish out of water". We have people come up from Mexico all the time to either live here or pick chile. We actually accommodate our 16% Mexican population and even possess the nation's only bilingual constitution.
Perhaps you meant you are more likely to run into an illegal in GA or AZ. I can't speak for GA but when I was in AZ, it was far more (what's a nice way to put it?) Anglican than NM.
But hey, don't take my word for it.

Last edited by kehkou; 09-01-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.