Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 05:50 PM

220 posts, read 172,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olindacat View Post
You are totally right. I am Asian but was adopted by an English mother, Irish father, both US. born. They were oblivious to what I would endure walking to school.

What is really tough is if you are an American Asian without a lot of money, or a doctorate! Try that one on for size! I spent 30 years chasing my tail with my own magazine business, and blew most of my money trying to stay alive against the force of Google, etc. There were few alternatives, as my tourism business was very vertical and websites do not make money unless they have lots of eyes. Mine did not!

So, where does an Asian go if he/she has a few hundred k in the bank, and in this climate nobody wants your yellow a#@ around, as we (Asians) are the 'problem' with MAGA's 'vision'.

Totally sucks to be in such straits, and if you don't speak an Asian language, like me, you can't even "go back to where you came from".....
Sugar Land TX is a well educated and fast growing city of about 130k people. It is over 36% Asian, 40% white and 11% Hispanic. Lots to do there, has a direct bus shuttle to Houston. It may be a good option for you.

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...-tx/residents/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 08:36 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quincy Massachusetts.

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...-ma/residents/

Old 01-30-2021, 09:23 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Seattle-Bellevue. Lots of successful Asians.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:19 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Personally I think it's difficult to say what metro is good for "Asians." Someone might say Houston is great because it has 7 or 8% Asian population and tons of grocery stores, shops, etc. But 90% of that is Vietnamese stuff. What would a Korean care about a million pho restaurants?

Unless you're adopted or 3rd or 4th gen or mixed then I guess it wouldn't matter so much, for a lot of us it's not about which area is best for Asians, it's which is best for Filipinos/Koreans/Chinese etc.
Youve never been to Houston I guess.

90% of the Asian markets and restaurants are most certainly NOT Vietnamese.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:20 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Seattle-Bellevue. Lots of successful Asians.
Thats not a midsized city or MSA. Its great for Asians sure, but not really part of the OP.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-30-2021 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 10:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about cities like Manchester NH or Anchorage AK?
now,Anchorage AK,lots of brown bears there !

Old 01-30-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Youve never been to Houston I guess.

90% of the Asian markets and restaurants are most certainly NOT Vietnamese.
I live in Houston and I frequent China town on Bellaire to shop for grocery.
Houston is all spread out,it is no that easy to meet other Asian friends,esp you said you work for yourself.
I guess you are in IT,I would think CA is better for you,not only are there many yellow bamboo like you,but plenty of employers and co workers are used to Asian co workers,neighbors,friends,enemies .
in case someone does not know what yellow bamboo is,it is like Oreo,but yellow outside but white inside.
A friend of mine who is Chinese,went to a Chinese restaurant and ordered in English,the waitress took her order and went to the kitchen and shouted loudly,'There is a yellow bamboo outside ,yellow bamboo is here !' in Chinese !

Old 01-30-2021, 10:56 PM

There is now 3 China towns in Houston,one is the original Chinatown downtown,the largest one is on Bellaire and there is one in Katy now,thats what my hair guy told me.
HK Mall on Bellaire is mostly Vietnamese now,but Welcome center,Sterling Plaza etc are mostly Chinese.
There are more Chinese restaurants than Vietnamese restaurants,but like someone whose family have operated restaurants in Chinatown for generations,he said the food in Chinatown restaurants are too Chinese,Occidentals dont know how to order,so they have t o rely on local Chinese for business,
Chinese know how to eat Chinese food and they will go with the best,therefore only 3 out of ten Chinese restaurants in the area make money,rest are just getting by !

Old 01-31-2021, 09:45 AM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Speaking from personal experience, Houston is dominated by Vietnamese shops and restaurants, with some Chinese as well. Vietnamese make up over 40% of the East Asian population there. For Korean or Japanese communities, it's a subpar area to find restaurants, shops and other community amenities. Personally I would feel very out of place there.

Dallas has much better representation of all Asian cultures, if we're talking about Texas.

And anyways, the point is that looking at the percent of population that is Asian is a poor metric. A Taiwanese person living in a city of mostly Indians is not going to suddenly feel at home.
As far as Korean shops go there is a lot of options in Houston since about five years ago, with chains like H-Mart popping up in multiple suburbs. You can find decent Chinese and Japanese items in H-Mart too.

Compared to the Korean supermarkets the Vietnamese ones do seem a bit rough around the edges and they seem to offer fewer non-Vietnamese products.

Good point about treating "Asians" as a group, but a Taiwanese person living in a city with lots of other East Asians would probably get fewer stupid questions than one who's living in a city with almost no Asians so to that extent he/she benefits.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:34 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
now,Anchorage AK,lots of brown bears there !
Going strictly by the signage on the stores, I was quite surprised at how large the Korean presence in Anchorage is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.