Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:09 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world are in Wisconsin and Michigan on the shores of Lake Superior. For those hardy enough to enjoy the white sand and the crystal clear cold waters, they are amazing. They generally don't attract the great number of tourists so there is plenty of room for playing in or near the water. In the late fall season the surf there can reach levels competitive with some of the finest surf competitions in the world. You should all check them out some time.

Yes this post is all true, add to it Lake Michigan. However the beaches up there are more for sight seeing or walking the beach as that water is so cold only a polar bear could call it swimmable. Last year pictures circulated of ice chunks floating by people on the beach in early June. However it is a beautiful and unique place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Now the beaches on the Gulf, and the Mediterranean are a different story. I've swam in them year-round. The Pacific is just never warm enough.

You are dead wrong about the Mediterranean. You don't swim year round there. I even saw snow on the Riviera one winter. And 12° C and rain like I saw in Malaga some winters ago is no swimming weather.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:40 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes this post is all true, add to it Lake Michigan. However the beaches up there are more for sight seeing or walking the beach as that water is so cold only a polar bear could call it swimmable. Last year pictures circulated of ice chunks floating by people on the beach in early June. However it is a beautiful and unique place.
Huh, I've almost always lived within blocks of Lake Michigan, and I've never (ever) seen this, not even during the worst winter of my life (the one you're referencing). Are you thinking of Lake Superior? Even then on Lake Superior, I guess I'd be surprised by anything later than May, even during the coldest spring in decades. And Lake Superior is a whole different animal than Lake Michigan.

I've swam May-to-October in Lake Michigan my entire life. Hit up beaches during July and August and you'll see tons of people swimming. Here's Bradford Beach in Milwaukee, for example:

Old 06-08-2015, 01:49 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,698 times
California beaches are for looking at. Arguably the most beautiful on earth. That said, if you like tanning on a hot beach and swimming in the ocean, its not the place for you. The water is brutally cold and the ocean is very rough.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
NORTHERN California beaches are for looking at. Arguably the most beautiful on earth. That said, if you like tanning on a hot beach and swimming in the ocean, its not the place for you. The water is brutally cold and the ocean is very rough.
Fixed it for you. Southern CA beaches certainly are warm enough or swimmable for most.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:34 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Fixed it for you. Southern CA beaches certainly are warm enough or swimmable for most.
You still need a wetsuit. Wouldn't consider it swimmable compared to a Florida or Gulf Coast.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:05 PM

325 posts, read 255,482 times
Quote:
You still need a wetsuit. Wouldn't consider it swimmable compared to a Florida or Gulf Coast.
Sure you can. Water temperatures in later summer are usually around 70 degrees - at most, a top might be nice if you are surfing, but certainly not required if you are swimming. On those days it gets over 80 at the beach, 70 degree water feels great. I could paste a few needlessly large pictures of thousands of people swimming in Santa Monica or La Jolla Cove, but you get the picture.

Not everyone needs humidity and bathwater to swim, and don't confuse Southern California water temps with the rest of the state.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Huh, I've almost always lived within blocks of Lake Michigan, and I've never (ever) seen this, not even during the worst winter of my life (the one you're referencing). Are you thinking of Lake Superior? Even then on Lake Superior, I guess I'd be surprised by anything later than May, even during the coldest spring in decades. And Lake Superior is a whole different animal than Lake Michigan.

I've swam May-to-October in Lake Michigan my entire life. Hit up beaches during July and August and you'll see tons of people swimming. Here's Bradford Beach in Milwaukee, for example:

Yes the picture was Lake Superior. It was a year ago and the lake was declared "ice free" I think on June 6. Not sure when it became ice free this year. I lived in northern Michigan for years, and have also swam in the lakes when I was younger. Even as a young person they were cold, and really its kind of a crap shoot as far as water temp on beach. To get warm nice water on the lakes you need an extended warm period with no storms or wind to churn up the water. Just 6-8 feet below the surface the water is always hypothermic, even in August. If you go swimming in the gulf of Mexico or the Carolina shore you will realize that even on a good day the great lakes water is very cold. They are swimmable yes, but only the more cold tolerant do it. Milwaukee is more southern Lake Michigan and you do a bit better for water temp there then you do further north.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
No you won't. Well it's still swimmable nonetheless to most people, if Florida or Gulf Coast water is your lower limit for what you can tolerate then sure you would need a wet suit but most people can handle upper 60's to low 70's water temps fine without any protection.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:44 PM

I came across this and found it fairly accurate, or at least in line with how I feel and what I've seen with water temps in Southern CA.

SWIMMING AND WATER TEMPERATURE INDEX

Generally you see much fewer people in the water when it's below 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.