Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Going to school.for LPN cert. Want to continue work my way up a BSN. Very few education opportunities in my state, small job market for LPNs, high cost of living, and high taxes. These three states offer better living options, lower taxes where I live, and close to where I currently live.

Been looking in PA the Baxter/Chester county area. With NY area looking at the area near Poughkeepsie or Albany or near Orange NY. With Mass mostly anywhere along the eastern shore like the Framingham area and Plymouth area.

Looking for place to rent with rent not over $1,000 and then hopefully find a place to live over the year's under $200,000.

Appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:15 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I would compare property taxes, state income taxes, etc numbers is the point do some digging.

Subjectively, they're all pretty much the same. In terms of actual life there.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
I like them all, but prefer Mass the most, because it has the New England charm.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Is this a legit post? I'm only asking because I've never heard of Baxter, Framingham is actually west of the Boston area away from the shore and Is Orange referring to Orange County NY?

Old 06-06-2015, 10:26 PM

51 posts, read 73,990 times
I live in Pennsylvania, and the cost of living is low here. I have very close friends and relatives who live all over New York State, and the cost of living is much higher. I'm not sure about Massachusetts, but I'm sure it's higher than PA. PA is one of the least expensive places to live in the country.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKitty View Post
I live in Pennsylvania, and the cost of living is low here. I have very close friends and relatives who live all over New York State, and the cost of living is much higher. I'm not sure about Massachusetts, but I'm sure it's higher than PA. PA is one of the least expensive places to live in the country.
Pennsylvania is beautiful but backwards. Most of the state is pretty darn conservative. Contrast that to New England which has zero conservative metro areas.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:34 PM

51 posts, read 73,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Pennsylvania is beautiful but backwards. Most of the state is pretty darn conservative. Contrast that to New England which has zero conservative metro areas.
Yes, I always say Pennsylvania is like a Southern state in the North. I'm a moderate who leans liberal. I don't bother trying to get through to these people, but it would be nice if they could at least understand me (just a little). So you're right.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, I always say Pennsylvania is like a Southern state in the North. I'm a moderate who leans liberal. I don't bother trying to get through to these people, but it would be nice if they could at least understand me (just a little). So you're right.
I drove through PA along I-80 the other day, as I was coming back from my interviews I had in Columbus, OH, and I saw a Ben Carson bumper sticker. Yup.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:24 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
It is not necessarily true about the cost of living being much higher when looking at Upstate NY. It is maybe a little bit higher, if at all, when comparing Upstate NY to PA outside of Philadelphia.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:52 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's quite a mis-characterization and a stereotype that's constantly perpetuated by more uber-liberal neighboring states.

Yes, Pennsylvania is more conservative compared to NY or New England, but it is overwhelmingly a moderate state in a national context. In federal elections, it has become predictably center-left. As with all states, its metro areas are more liberal.

Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana Most Conservative States

Also--let's not kid ourselves by judging a state's politics by one bumper sticker.

Quote:

Or it's a Northern state in the North. This notion that the entire Northeast is uniformly liberal outside of Pennsylvania is rather silly. The region is more politically diverse than many people let on. Per my previous link, even in New York, self-identified conservatives outnumber self-identified liberals. And at least a quarter of Bay Staters and Vermonters identify as conservative.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-07-2015 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.