Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 819 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 22 year old gay male living in central Missouri. I'm ready to move but just cannot decide where, my heart is on Florida but I have also been thinking about Texas to. I want to live somewhere with under 250,000 people, near water, great nightlife, affordable (a one bedroom under $700). I am gay so that does play a huge role but I'm not your stereotype gay. I tend to like the more hip-hop secede like Miami. Also I plan to be a nurse so I would like it to be good for healthcare. I was looking at Orlando, Suburbs of Austin, and of course southern Florida. If you have any information that would help I would appricate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autterback102 View Post
Hi, I am a 22 year old gay male living in central Missouri. I'm ready to move but just cannot decide where, my heart is on Florida but I have also been thinking about Texas to. I want to live somewhere with under 250,000 people, near water, great nightlife, affordable (a one bedroom under $700). I am gay so that does play a huge role but I'm not your stereotype gay. I tend to like the more hip-hop secede like Miami. Also I plan to be a nurse so I would like it to be good for healthcare. I was looking at Orlando, Suburbs of Austin, and of course southern Florida. If you have any information that would help I would appricate it!
These are pretty much mutually exclusive. Many college towns and resort towns tend to have nightlife, but rarely is it good. Most other cities that size don't have much nightlife at all.

I've never been, but Biloxi, Mississippi might work. It's relatively small, cheap, and right on the ocean. From what my friend who is from there says, it's relatively gay-friendly by Mississippi standards. It has nightlife, but I don't know how good it is. It's also an easy, 90-mile drive to New Orleans, which is obviously known for its gay scene and nightlife.

Denton, Texas could be worth looking into. It's a college town about 45 miles northwest of Dallas. It's right on Lewisville Lake, and you can take the train into Dallas if you want to take advantage of everything the city has to offer.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Jacksonville, Florida supposedly has one of the highest percentage of gays per capita right now. I've never been and am not a fan of Florida but seems like it might fit the bill for you. If the city itself is too large maybe one of the surrounding smaller cities or communities nearby.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:54 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Hmm, a few thoughts on Jax:

Most of Jax does not feel too big. It can definitely be an appropriate transition for someone used to a smaller town vibe. There's tons of water and decent rentals for <$700. I wouldn't call the nightlife great at all, but compared to a city of less than 250k pop, it would be on the level of great. Healthcare and nursing is very strong here.

As for the gay community, it's definitely growing and it's far more visible, prominent and powerful than the past. That said, I'd still label Jax as one of the more unfriendly metros toward the LGBT community. You will find ignorant folks, you will encounter hatred and intolerance, and there is a constant fight between advocates and the Christian right. Fwiw, you will also find a decent-sized LGBT pop and plenty of straight allies all working towards change and a better, more accepting, society.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
These are pretty much mutually exclusive. Many college towns and resort towns tend to have nightlife, but rarely is it good. Most other cities that size don't have much nightlife at all.

I've never been, but Biloxi, Mississippi might work. It's relatively small, cheap, and right on the ocean. From what my friend who is from there says, it's relatively gay-friendly by Mississippi standards. It has nightlife, but I don't know how good it is. It's also an easy, 90-mile drive to New Orleans, which is obviously known for its gay scene and nightlife.

Denton, Texas could be worth looking into. It's a college town about 45 miles northwest of Dallas. It's right on Lewisville Lake, and you can take the train into Dallas if you want to take advantage of everything the city has to offer.
I went to the only gay bar in Biloxi a couple of years ago. There were a handful of patrons, they all knew each other (and were eager to talk with me since I was "new"), and all they could do was talk about how miserable it is to be gay in Biloxi and each shared their dreams of moving someplace else. I wouldn't recommend it to the OP.

I with Dawn that the list of wants and population size will be hard to match, unless you look at "edge cities" in larger metros or maybe college towns.

Actually, Savannah is probably worth a look. I'm not sure if it fits the budget but I think it does well with the other criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.