Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:48 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times

Advertisements

13 Worst Places to Live ... Or Are They? - AOL Money & Finance

1.Baltimore
2.Las Vegas
3.Detroit
4.New York
5.LA
6.East St. Louis
7.Retirement Florida
8.Mississippi
9.New Orleans
10.Philadelphia
11.Milwaukee
12.Scranton
13.Newark

ugh...this list is BS

Edit: actually, after actually reading some (haha) i see they're not all about how bad they are! mabey its a good list?

Last edited by Billiam; 01-21-2008 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
All these lists are baloney, written by some hack in a newsroom who are pushing a deadline, with nothing to go on, so they just put out some subjective nonsense.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:02 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I found the article refreshing, a nice perspective and a bit satirical.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM

12 posts, read 28,037 times
This list is stupid. For example, my city, New York...

NEW YORK CITY

The high cost of living and dense population of New York City make it seem a daunting place to live. The average price of a Manhattan apartment is $1.3 million. Parking spaces go for the price of McMansions in other cities. And many apartments aren’t that much bigger than parking spaces. Everything seems like a project – even getting a table in a restaurant – in this fast-paced, aggressive, ambitious culture. Rapid high-end real estate development has quashed some of the city’s charm and made living here all but impossible for young creative types.

“One of the great things about New York used to be the incredible cross-section of people. You could be rich or poor, but as long as you were willing to work hard and give up some of life’s luxuries, you could live near some of the greatest cultural amenities in the world,” says Andrew Berman, president of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.

Still, New York has done a better job fending off the crushing wave of chain stores that make every place in America feel the same, Berman says. And since so many people continue to want to live in New York City, its real estate market remains surprisingly healthy. Bottom line: New York City is still a land of opportunity – whether you’re seeking fame, fortune, culture, or just want to live in the center of it all. On that score, no other city can compete.

I like fast pace and enegry and can afford Manhattan, so really I don't see anything negative in this moronic rant. There is a reason so many people want to live in New York!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
The site is paying some compliments to these cities as well.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY1 View Post
And since so many people continue to want to live in New York City, its real estate market remains surprisingly healthy
It's quite true that their real estate market is humming along nicely - for the moment.

I think there will be a change there soon, as a result of the sub-prime loan debacle. The big banks and brokerages have taken severe hits, and if you keep up with the WSJ, the layoffs are starting as we speak. The money in the financial sector there is what played a large role in keeping that housing market afloat.

p.s. I say this as someone who loves NYC, not NY-bashing.

Regarding the list of 13:

E. St. Louis never held much appeal for me. I would have to whole-heartedly concur with "retirement Fla."

Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 PM

I think we need an alternative list. Here are my 13 worst places to live:

1. My in-law's basement. The father-in-law never stops carping about the government, while my manipulative mother-in-law would want to dispense advice on how to raise the kids. Thank the Lord we live in another state.

2. An insane asylum. The food would be terrible, and the noisy residents would be shrieking at all times of the day or night. On the bright side, you would have some pretty interesting conversations with some pretty colorful characters. Plus I understand the sedatives are really good stuff.

3. A Westinghouse carton under I-20. Cold in winter. Hot in summer. And you have to go find a new house whenever it rains.

4. A college frathouse. Yeah, the fun is non-stop. So is the noise, including the burping, farting fellow residents with some really weird ideas about personal hygeine. And if you buy Cap'n Crunch, you better have it locked away someplace secure. Or forget about enjoying a second bowl.

5. Next to a railroad track. 3 a.m. Need I say more?

6. Afghanistan. Kazakhstan. Or any of the other 'Stans. Anyplace where the best selling book is "101 Recipes For Goat" is the local bestseller.

7.Lake City, Florida. More stump-neck, knuckle-dragging, stoop-gait, slack-jawed, biscuit-eating, polyester-wearing, NASCAR watching, book-burning, cousin-kissing backwoods lackwits than Mississippi or Arkansas ever thought of claiming.

8. A tent. With three kids. On a one-week campout in the Ozarks. And it's raining.

9. Anywhere close to a Jehova's Witness church. Don't get me wrong. The JWs appear to be very nice, devout, sincere people. But we lived not too far from one of their places. They're supposed to go out, knock on doors, and hand out literature. But rather than fan out throughout the metropolis, they all just flogged the surrounding neighborhoods. So no football game, nap, or quiet time with the crossword puzzle is safe from the ring of the doorbell and you're being pelted with literature. My advice? Buy a dog.

10. According to the National Transportation Safety Board, most automotive accidents occur within a mile of my home. I guess that means, for safety's sake, I need to move.

11. Upstairs from a restaurant, a martial arts academy, or a music school.

12. Downstairs from anybody in possession of a drum set.

13. Next door to anybody who compiles these stupid lists. Talk about obsessive compulsive.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
cpg--the best contribution i have read in awhile

Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
It's quite true that their real estate market is humming along nicely - for the moment.

I think there will be a change there soon, as a result of the sub-prime loan debacle. The big banks and brokerages have taken severe hits, and if you keep up with the WSJ, the layoffs are starting as we speak. The money in the financial sector there is what played a large role in keeping that housing market afloat.

p.s. I say this as someone who loves NYC, not NY-bashing.

Regarding the list of 13:

E. St. Louis never held much appeal for me. I would have to whole-heartedly concur with "retirement Fla."
East St. Louis doesn't really appeal to me, either. I'd rather live on the Missouri side or in a town farther from the river in Illinois, like Edwardsville or something.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
cpg--the best contribution i have read in awhile
Why, thank you kindly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.