Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:09 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
At least we're not shooting up churches.

There are social ills in the USA that do NOT exist at all in Canada. No offence. But this is enough..
America wake up! You can be a better country. You just need to change.
You say this like that is normal in America.

Something tells me your views of Americans is different than Americans views of themselves. And your trying to dis associate with the US because of your negative views.

There 300,000,000 million Americans vs Canada 35 million. There are more liberal Americans then probably 3x the entire Canadian population.

There less than 500k gang members in the US, The US is 300 million people you brought up gang culture? Don't put Americans in a box like that.

Of Course the US and Canada are different but they have more cultural similarities than they do with any other countries in the world.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:50 AM

505 posts, read 502,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You say this like that is normal in America.
It's definitely becoming uncomfortably common, but not to the point where it's just shrug worthy.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Surprisingly we have little in Common with those in Michigan or NY here in Ontario. The cultural spillover is basically zero. We consume American media but it's more "hollywood". I actually had no idea there was a state called Michigan near me for example until my early 20's. We have more culturally in common with California in all honesty.

Lived in Ontario and did not know Michigan was there??? Gee I thought it was us Americans who supposedly know next to nothing about the world. I wonder what the US did to put this chip on the OPs shoulder. I like Canada and have met lots of nice people from there. The OPs attitude is an anomaly.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Lived in Ontario and did not know Michigan was there??? Gee I thought it was us Americans who supposedly know next to nothing about the world. I wonder what the US did to put this chip on the OPs shoulder. I like Canada and have met lots of nice people from there. The OPs attitude is an anomaly.
Every country has its share of idiots, lol.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:52 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Quote:
I actually see this sort of attitude from Canadians online all the time, and have seen it pretty consistently since I first got online in the early-to-mid-1990s, and yet I don't think I've ever encountered it even once in real life. Maybe it's been the same four or five Canadians under various usernames on various websites for the past 20 years?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
I know a good number of Canadians who feel the need to point out how "stupid" Americans are at every turn. It's pretty common. Then again, they don't have "Florida man" or all kinds of other idiocy, but it's still fairly ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 AM

32 posts, read 28,399 times
Quote:
Most Southern Ontarions are not familiar with Michigan except for the ones in the south west region. I'm from Toronto and I don't care or know about other US states and cities beyond the important ones like New York City and L.A. Everything else..!doesn't matter lol.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:47 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
What? minnesota doesn't sound Canadian at all. Not even in the slightest, least bit. minnesotans like I said sound like Great Lakes Americans with a bit of swede thrown in. And the accent difference between Buffalo and Toronto is tremendous. Also no one cares about Buffalo in Toronto lol.

You've never heard a Canadian accent have you? It doesn't sound like anything in the United States. The "Canadian actors" and singers who get famous in the states NEVER use their real Canadian accent either so they are a poor example. Which is why most Americans never get a chance to hear how we really sound.

And the majority of the population may live close to the border but we don't live on the border. Few of us cross over to the other side.

We don't really have the fondest feelings about Americans either. Anti-Americanism is rampant.
Bulljive.

Having lived in the Upper Midwest for many years I've seen THOUSANDS of Canadian license plates traversing American interstates. Many of them have friends and even family in the States so of course they have good reason to visit.

And in my experience, most Canadians view America as the big brother that snores loudly. He's annoying at times, but he's still family.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
^ For sure, Wisconsin doesn't even border Canada, but I see Canadian plates all summer

Old 06-19-2015, 06:21 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Most Southern Ontarions are not familiar with Michigan except for the ones in the south west region. I'm from Toronto and I don't care or know about other US states and cities beyond the important ones like New York City and L.A. Everything else..!doesn't matter lol.
Many would say the same about Canada outside of Toronto and Montreal. How about LOL to that? It's so cute when certain Canadians think they're so vastly different from the US.

Some of you may love whine about us but you all sure love our cheaper prices and lower sales taxes (so many people from Ontario come to Western PA to shop since we have no tax on any clothing)...

Last edited by bradjl2009; 06-19-2015 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.