Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:46 AM

67 posts, read 58,277 times

Advertisements

what came first, upper new york, or Wisconsin. our forefathers arrived in NY, and a lot of them then moved north to upper New York..but once the g'ment allotted them land, they traveled west, therefore, building the same kinds of houses and barns etc.
I recently moved to East Texas and I see a lot of the rural midwest here as well, except here in east Texas they have something about NOT cutting down trees. Perhaps here versus central Texas where its more agriculture and crops, they needed to cut down the trees. something to do with th I-35 parallel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:56 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose3 View Post
what came first, upper new york, or Wisconsin. our forefathers arrived in NY, and a lot of them then moved north to upper New York..but once the g'ment allotted them land, they traveled west, therefore, building the same kinds of houses and barns etc.
I recently moved to East Texas and I see a lot of the rural midwest here as well, except here in east Texas they have something about NOT cutting down trees. Perhaps here versus central Texas where its more agriculture and crops, they needed to cut down the trees. something to do with th I-35 parallel
Central Texas looks more like the Midwest than East Texas to me. My memories of East Texas was it mostly being wooded, with the occasional farm hacked out of the forest. There might be parts of the Midwest that resemble that, east of the Mississippi, but that looks pretty different than my corner of the Midwest.

The area just east of I-35 between Austin and Dallas looks identical to rural Iowa. And it's basically an extension of the same eco region, but at a more southern latitude, so it makes sense. It was tallgrass prairie, with black dirt.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Southern Ohio is not flat either.
Correct. Many places in the Midwest are not flat. Ohio, in fact, has a stake in the Allegheny plateau.

If you consider Nebraska Midwestern, western Nebraska is quite rugged. I believe they call it the sandhill region? I'd have to double check.

The black hills of South Dakota, the Ohio river banks west of the Appalachians, Illinois' garden of the Gods, The Missouri Ozarks, the Driftless region along the northern Mississippi river, the Minnesota sawtooths, Michigan's UP, and that random spot in lower Michigan that is hilly out of nowhere.

The Midwest is quite diverse.

However, the reason people think of the Midwest as flat is because the majority of it is, much in the same way as the Northeast has plenty of flat areas but the majority of the region is hilly or mountainous. As well the Midwest does not advertise itself for its hill country.

Anybody educated on the subject knows that the Midwest is not all horizon and corn. It is, though, those elements that first come to people's minds when they hear "the Midwest", because that is what it is most famous for.

Believe me, I understand the frustration. I'm from upstate NY. What do people think of when they hear New York? Not a trailer park in the mountains of Steuben county, that's for sure.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:18 PM

260 posts, read 324,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Correct. Many places in the Midwest are not flat. Ohio, in fact, has a stake in the Allegheny plateau.

If you consider Nebraska Midwestern, western Nebraska is quite rugged. I believe they call it the sandhill region? I'd have to double check.

The black hills of South Dakota, the Ohio river banks west of the Appalachians, Illinois' garden of the Gods, The Missouri Ozarks, the Driftless region along the northern Mississippi river, the Minnesota sawtooths, Michigan's UP, and that random spot in lower Michigan that is hilly out of nowhere.

The Midwest is quite diverse.

However, the reason people think of the Midwest as flat is because the majority of it is, much in the same way as the Northeast has plenty of flat areas but the majority of the region is hilly or mountainous. As well the Midwest does not advertise itself for its hill country.

Anybody educated on the subject knows that the Midwest is not all horizon and corn. It is, though, those elements that first come to people's minds when they hear "the Midwest", because that is what it is most famous for.

Believe me, I understand the frustration. I'm from upstate NY. What do people think of when they hear New York? Not a trailer park in the mountains of Steuben county, that's for sure.
Western Nebraska (along with southwestern SD and eastern WY) is probably my favorite part of the country, closely followed by Northeastern Maine.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:31 PM

511 posts, read 400,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Central Texas looks more like the Midwest than East Texas to me. My memories of East Texas was it mostly being wooded, with the occasional farm hacked out of the forest. There might be parts of the Midwest that resemble that, east of the Mississippi, but that looks pretty different than my corner of the Midwest.

The area just east of I-35 between Austin and Dallas looks identical to rural Iowa. And it's basically an extension of the same eco region, but at a more southern latitude, so it makes sense. It was tallgrass prairie, with black dirt.
What an excellent, amazing description!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.