Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:33 AM

36 posts, read 56,307 times

Advertisements

Is there a place with a climate like this in the US?
Warm, hot and long summers where temperature stays above 80 if not closer to 90 or more. Where it doesn't rain much or doesn't rain at all, a lot of sunny days. And where winters also have a lot of snow that stays for a while? Examples of the summer would be Southern US, FL, Southern CA, other parts of the Southwest. Example of winter would be the Northeast near the big lakes or Upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 AM

103 posts, read 168,551 times
Denver?

Old 06-21-2015, 04:16 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
I'd say Colorado or Utah is your best bet there.

Here in NY summer can get hot but it's short.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:18 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Denver doesn't get as much snow as you would expect, and it doesn't stay around for long typically since it's almost always sunny and the snow melts. Anywhere that retains snow for long periods most likely isn't sunny as much, so you're going to have to choose between sunny or snow-covered.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:40 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Possibly Rapid City, South Dakota. Was like that when I lived there.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 AM

643 posts, read 1,017,685 times
Most places in the lower Midwest would probably suit you.

I know indianapolis gets pretty hot for about two months. Not a lot of consecutive days over 90, but plenty of stretches of consecutive days above 80.

The winters are hit and miss, I love longer winters and sometimes I'm disappointed because the snow doesn't stick around as long as I'd like. Sometimes it's just too mild and all the snow turns to the filthy black and salt slushy that ruins jeans. I hate that crap.

I'm sure Columbus, Cincinnati, Kansas city, Cleveland and Pittsburgh have close if not nearly identical weather.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Most places in the lower Midwest would probably suit you.

I know indianapolis gets pretty hot for about two months. Not a lot of consecutive days over 90, but plenty of stretches of consecutive days above 80.

The winters are hit and miss, I love longer winters and sometimes I'm disappointed because the snow doesn't stick around as long as I'd like. Sometimes it's just too mild and all the snow turns to the filthy black and salt slushy that ruins jeans. I hate that crap.

I'm sure Columbus, Cincinnati, Kansas city, Cleveland and Pittsburgh have close if not nearly identical weather.
Cleveland gets way more snow than KC and the other Ohio cities. Pittsburgh does as well, just not as much as cleveland. The elevation in pittsburgh and the lake in cleveland keeps them cooler than the rest as well.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 AM

36 posts, read 56,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Denver doesn't get as much snow as you would expect, and it doesn't stay around for long typically since it's almost always sunny and the snow melts. Anywhere that retains snow for long periods most likely isn't sunny as much, so you're going to have to choose between sunny or snow-covered.
I mean sunny during the summer, but it doesn't have to be sunny in the winter.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:51 AM

643 posts, read 1,017,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Cleveland gets way more snow than KC and the other Ohio cities. Pittsburgh does as well, just not as much as cleveland. The elevation in pittsburgh and the lake in cleveland keeps them cooler than the rest as well.
Totally forgot about lake effect. Does the snow typically stay around awhile in Cleveland?

Old 06-21-2015, 12:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george777M View Post
Is there a place with a climate like this in the US?
Warm, hot and long summers where temperature stays above 80 if not closer to 90 or more. Where it doesn't rain much or doesn't rain at all, a lot of sunny days. And where winters also have a lot of snow that stays for a while? Examples of the summer would be Southern US, FL, Southern CA, other parts of the Southwest. Example of winter would be the Northeast near the big lakes or Upper Midwest.
The central Dakotas are probably your best bet, as summers are generally blazing hot with little rain (but short), and chinook winds don't reach that far east to melt snow in the winter (but snowfall is meager).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.