Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times

Advertisements

You do realize you're asking this on the same forums where people are complaining about not being able to get by on a six-figure salary, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallacEngineer View Post
Honestly I have three fields I am all equally at home with. As a High-Schooler I was your typical nerd: building custom cumputers and modifying tech all the time. I also loved cars, my knowlage on the automotive world is extensive, and I did take a auto-class in high-school at one point. When it came to Job Corps, I got screwed. I was initially told there were openings in the computer class, then when I get there: 18-month waiting period due to demand, to I guaduated from Office Administration.

I take lots of trips to Kansas, CO Springs, Denver, ECT. So honestly Ive been looking into getting my CDL through the summit stage and then piolit a big-rig.
All three of those are good options where you could get a certificate or Associates Degree through a community college. Tech is huge right now, there is always need for truckers, and the mechanic trade (though saturated) will always have demand. If you can get by working part-time somewhere while you go to school for a year or two (depending on your field), you should do it. You'll probably also want to stick somewhere in CO to take advantage of in-state tuition. Between financial aid and small loans which cover the rest, CC's are the best option for advancing from a ****ty situation.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:57 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
The OP needs to drop the whining and join the military. Leave that chip on your shoulder behind and quit feeling sorry for yourself, because they won't put up with it in the military. I'm not even rich myself, but I'm tired of all these woe-is-me folks who wallow in their own misery. You're not helping yourself. Shut up and do what you have to do to get a job.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 AM

149 posts, read 186,858 times
Join the military.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:04 AM

And after your enlistment, as a vet, you would be able to transfer your newly aquired job skills to federal civilian employment. Vets get a few points priority over folks like me.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:07 AM

Try being 60 years old and all of your family is dead. No one to help me. Facing a life change soon with no one to consult with, to help if times get bad, facing locating housing on a minimal retirement income, etc.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:28 AM

176 posts, read 263,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallacEngineer View Post
Ok, your quite the retard. You have no idea what its like to be dealt ****ty hands all your life. You came up here with nothing and you turned it around. Thats called good luck. If I cane up here with nothing Id end up homeless and with even less than I had before. Your idea of this area being a realistic place to thrive is idiotic. You know what, maybe in the 80's it wasnt that bad, but allow me to give you the headlines: For a kickoff, summer tourism has tripled in the past 5 years, and even its well-known winter tourism has nearly doubled in the same span of time. There are actually traffic jams much like Denver on almost every single weekend. This mass growth in tourism has also spawned a mass of those trying to make Summit County their home. These people are wealthy, NOT rich, dont get me wrong not everybody makes 6-figures, but most make $50k/yr at least. This county is being taken over by the elite and wealthy, weather we like it or not, they are all intoxicated by the views and the outdoor activities, which I do understand; but actually living here successfully requires good income these days, NO EXCEPTIONS. Ask any local family, almost none of them want their children here once they turn 18, they know how difficult it is to be young and broke in this area, and most people my age have moved. I know 2 people from high school that are still here, and thats IT.
Wow. I think I understand the real reason why you're having a hard time in life.

I gave you some advice (which you solicited by posting here) and you crapped on it. So, specifically, what part of my post was retarded? Keystone still offers free and subsidized housing. Summit stage is still free, so you don't have to worry about transportation costs. Take advantage of that by doing what it takes to get a job there so you don't have to worry about paying rent. Then get a second job.

You stated that summer tourism has tripled and that winter tourism has doubled. Do you understand what that means? It means there is opportunity all around you.

Oh, and my success was not the result of good luck. It was through hard work and never giving up. With the attitude you've displayed here, I suspect you will still struggle regardless of your location, unless you change your tune.

To quote the great Mike Ness, "Wherever I have gone, I was sure to find myself there. You can run all your life, but not go anywhere."

Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 AM

616 posts, read 644,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
Try being 60 years old and all of your family is dead. No one to help me. Facing a life change soon with no one to consult with, to help if times get bad, facing locating housing on a minimal retirement income, etc.
me too

welcome to the jungle

Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 AM

55 posts, read 68,095 times
Western Colorado Conservation Corps - WCCC

Check out the link about and try to get a job with the Colorado Conservation Corps. It's hard work but they can really help you out a lot with schooling and give you pay for housing.

You'd be living outside for a large portion of the time so you really wouldn't need much.

Since you can't join the military, this seems like your best bet. I would check it out.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:29 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,633 times
Youngin. You are only 23 years old. We all have our hard luck stories. The difference is our attitude and approach to adversity. My in my situation, I plugged away working and schooling as a single parent. What I learned is that people who see you doing your best and working your ass off would love to help you and see you succeed. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth and trust this, somebody's always watching. No one can smell **** like someone who's been through ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.