Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 4,991 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been reading these forums for some time and appreciate the advice people give on here. I would really like your input and help.

Here is my situation now:

-Hard working guy in my late twenties working in corporate America been in Connecticut (Hartford area) for a while (5 years).
-Locating to relocate as I have grown tired of the culture up here (cold, distant, a little snooty). It's a great place possibly to raise a family if you have some good money, but not for a single guy
-I am single now and want that to change (don't want to be single for the next decade)
-It's extremely difficult meeting single people here as many are already in relationships or have families
-Winters are real rough, but can tolerate some colder months

What I am looking for:

-Area that is close to a real beach (not like CT where there is no ocean) I can drive a little bit (45 minutes to 1 hour)
-Area where people are friendly and there is a decent amount of single females
-I am laid back, casual and not a hipster (I am a fitness type of guy, but not a meat head)
-I appreciate outdoor activities, beach and am the type of guy that goes around in a t-shirt and gym shorts (not trying to be Americas next top model)
-Not some kind of sports nut
-I am a fan of techno music and appreciate a fun night out dancing, not a huge bar person

Where would I fit in? or any areas that you would check out? I know there is no perfect place, but any tips or suggestions is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:24 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Sound to me like you're asking for California in the San Diego or Los Angeles areas. It's got plenty of corporate jobs, beaches, no winters to speak of, certainly has places to dance and women to dance with, lots of outdoor activities and a generally casual lifestyle (at least compared with a button down insurance company in Hartford). If you can afford to maintain your your current standard of living out there, then start looking for a job in that part of the country.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:40 PM

520 posts, read 611,691 times
Los Angeles, Houston, or Miami might work. L.A. would be my first choice, because it has the best weather and the most going on. There are few cities near the beach that are also good for singles, since many of the candidates filled with families/more insular social scenes.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate your suggestions. It is very helpful in narrowing my search. I am not here to bash CT or Hartford, but it really does feel like I am not connecting with people/females due to reasons beyond my control. I am a decent looking guy, look fresh and don't live a hermit lifestyle. I just want to make sure I don't get stuck in a place that is a repeat of the same challenges I face here.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:04 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc06119 View Post
Hello, I have been reading these forums for some time and appreciate the advice people give on here. I would really like your input and help.

Here is my situation now:

-Hard working guy in my late twenties working in corporate America been in Connecticut (Hartford area) for a while (5 years).
-Locating to relocate as I have grown tired of the culture up here (cold, distant, a little snooty). It's a great place possibly to raise a family if you have some good money, but not for a single guy
-I am single now and want that to change (don't want to be single for the next decade)
-It's extremely difficult meeting single people here as many are already in relationships or have families
-Winters are real rough, but can tolerate some colder months

What I am looking for:

-Area that is close to a real beach (not like CT where there is no ocean) I can drive a little bit (45 minutes to 1 hour)
-Area where people are friendly and there is a decent amount of single females
-I am laid back, casual and not a hipster (I am a fitness type of guy, but not a meat head)
-I appreciate outdoor activities, beach and am the type of guy that goes around in a t-shirt and gym shorts (not trying to be Americas next top model)
-Not some kind of sports nut
-I am a fan of techno music and appreciate a fun night out dancing, not a huge bar person

Where would I fit in? or any areas that you would check out? I know there is no perfect place, but any tips or suggestions is appreciated.
I would highly recommend checking out the Tampa/St Petersburg area which seems much more a better fit than Southern California. It's a young, thriving area with friendly people (more a Midwest vibe than the Northeast US, unlike much of FL), great weather largely, has some of the best beaches in the US, a truly laidback and casual vibe minus the pretense and a very manageable cost of living.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:35 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
I was thinking of Tampa as well, although I am simply more informed about the SE cities. I would imagine that LA and SD would have the most of everything (even laid-back folks) although the overall culture certainly is not like that in SoCal. But Tampa, and South Florida to a lesser degree, has a much lower COL and overall laid-back vibe, while providing all the basic necessities of young single life + techno scene.

Houston and Orlando could possibly work as well depending on other factors of lifestyle and work.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville.

Charlotte, Denver, Dallas, Houston. Phoenix. (Can large lakes substitute for beaches?)

Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 AM

520 posts, read 611,691 times
Aren't places like Tampa and Orlando more family-oriented? It's my impression that people tend to marry younger in the South and there isn't as much of a singles scene, especially for late-20s professionals. That was my hesitation with listing them and preferring Los Angeles, etc. I have the same reservation with San Diego. Lots of families, Navy people, not as good for singles as LA IMO.

All that said, I wouldn't classify LA as exactly laid back. It's not wound up like the Northeast, but it has its own unique vibe. Like DC and politics and SF and tech, much of the city centers around the entertainment industry. That said, the metro area is so big, most people don't have anything to do with entertainment and you can find your own scene.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:08 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Aren't places like Tampa and Orlando more family-oriented? It's my impression that people tend to marry younger in the South and there isn't as much of a singles scene, especially for late-20s professionals.
Yes, I'd say they're more family-oriented and definitely people tend to marry younger. That's why I didnt recommend Jacksonville although it could be nice and has a decent singles/young professional population. Orlando and Tampa, on the other hand, are large enough that although they skew one way there's easily enough of the other. Orlando has the largest university in the state and obviously retains many of those graduates. Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater has around 3.5 million people so you'll easily find many singles if you seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
All that said, I wouldn't classify LA as exactly laid back. It's not wound up like the Northeast, but it has its own unique vibe. Like DC and politics and SF and tech, much of the city centers around the entertainment industry. That said, the metro area is so big, most people don't have anything to do with entertainment and you can find your own scene.
True, that's why I think you can also find laid back people if you want. People who aren't superficial, people who aren't into style, etc. While the overall vibe may be one thing, I'm sure there are plenty of chill, relaxed, "regular" folks.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM

Thanks - yea I would say family oriented would be a bad mix for me. I have that now, feel as if people move into my area as a "couple" even if they don't have kids per say. Can create the illusion that there are some single people at the gym or something like that then you find out people are well into relationships. Younger twenties is fine, I don't look old and am active and open minded.

I am not to concerned about the job situation as I haven't changed employers since college and am wrapping up a grad degree. Should be marketable enough to catch the eye of a decent company. I did the sacrifice by living up in the area I am in now and its time to get in a place where I can have a decent lifestyle.

As for the beach, yea I like the waves and the beach experience in general. I would like to further explore body boarding if possible. I would be the type of guy to take advantage of the beach location not the person who lives next to the beach but hits it up once a year.

I know most hot spots or "in" areas are not cheap. I am financially savvy and conservative. I know how to watch my money and can sacrifice a large living quarters. Obviously, I have done some time in some not so desirable areas by most standards so I am assuming it can't get much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.