Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,906 times

Advertisements

Do the different US cities (specifically Los Angeles, Fresno/Bakersfield, Houston) have different makeups of Mexican immigrants? For example, do Mexicans from Guadalajara prefer to settle in Los Angeles, or if they're from Merida, Houston or Miami? Obviously there's going to be a trend of settling in the nearest city geographically, but other than that are there any other tendencies based on cultural similarities? I know very little about the different subcultures of Mexico (like what is their equivalent of Hillbilly West Virginians, or Hipster Northwesterners?), but I've always wondered as a resident of a city with a large hispanic community if they were all largely from a certain geographic region or subculture.

If I'm not explaining this well, imagine if you lived in a country that saw lots of immigrants from the US. If the vast majority were from the south, and you didn't know much about the US, you probably wouldn't realize they were a distinct group. So basically, are Mexicans in Los Angeles different from Mexicans in Houston? Is this a difference noticed and talked about in Mexico?

If you've got any observations on other hispanic countries I'd like to hear that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,783,571 times
Donde hay trabajo.

Spoiler
Where there's work.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,257,055 times
Monterrey to north San Antonio especially the Sonterra neighborhoods although The Dominion is popular as well. Definitely a different socioeconomic class than what most of this country imagines someone from Mexico to be.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,219,446 times
One interesting landing for wealthy Mexicans is the Woodlands, Tx

Woodlands a haven for Mexican entrepreneurs - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-28-2015, 05:58 PM

9,792 posts, read 14,629,901 times

You are being redirected...

https://jaymans.wordpress.com/2013/0...rican-nations/

A Demographic Portrait of Mexican-Origin Hispanics in the United States | Pew Research Center

It should be clear.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:39 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,257,055 times
I've seen those charts and I'm curious if it accounts for Mexican Nationals. The people who have moved into my kid's schools are still Mexican citizens but their parents are wealthy and can start a business in San Antonio allowing them to move here, buy a home, put their kids in (high rated) public schools and enjoy the safer lifestyle. The companies are generally in both countries and dad often spends a lot of time in Mexico. They keep their Mexico plates, don't really engage in the community outside the other Nationals, and don't seem interested in becoming citizens. I always see lower numbers for San Antonio then what first hand experience seems to represent.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,895,935 times
Always wondered about Chicago. Specifically how you immediately go from Mexico to Cali/Texas, but then jump all the way up to Chicago.

After all many of the immigrants to NYC settled the the NE or parts of the Midwest, Cubans largely settled in Miami, and so on. Or for that matter how a small town in the middle of nowhere suddenly grows a strong Mexican presence?

I think it's mostly a word of mouth thing mostly centered around available work. Then once a few of your friends, family, or just people you know settle in an area you have more incentive to also go to that area.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,156,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Always wondered about Chicago. Specifically how you immediately go from Mexico to Cali/Texas, but then jump all the way up to Chicago.

After all many of the immigrants to NYC settled the the NE or parts of the Midwest, Cubans largely settled in Miami, and so on. Or for that matter how a small town in the middle of nowhere suddenly grows a strong Mexican presence?

I think it's mostly a word of mouth thing mostly centered around available work. Then once a few of your friends, family, or just people you know settle in an area you have more incentive to also go to that area.
Word of mouth, in addition to Chicago businesses recruiting labor directly from Mexico about a century ago.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:27 PM

260 posts, read 430,351 times
I can only speak for New York City, but the vast majority of Mexican immigrants here originate from Puebla for whatever reason.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:07 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,244,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
I can only speak for New York City, but the vast majority of Mexican immigrants here originate from Puebla for whatever reason.
Yeah, NYC Mexicans mostly originate from Puebla.

Midwest Mexicans mostly originate from Guanajuato.

Not totally sure, but CA and TX Mexicans seem to be heavily from Northern Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.