Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:45 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheman2 View Post
It was in the same exact region pretty much. The town had a reputation of being progressive and welcoming many different types of European immigrants in the past. Pennsylvania has always been a blue state too, remember that.
No, rural central Pennsylvania isn't remotely "the same" as NYC.

And you claimed the murder was race-based. The article you posted said it had nothing to do with race, and was gang-related.
Quote:
White guys with Indian girls doesn't mean a thing to this thread, such relationships are common and openly accepted. The other way around? Not nearly as common.
OK, and so what? This has nothing to do with your original claims, which involved making up stories about hostility towards interracial coupling.

And why would all interracial couplings be exactly statistically the same? That makes no sense. Are you some Some Indian dude who's crazy for blond chicks, or something? I see plenty of white girls with Indian guys, so if you're having problems, you probably have no game. Plenty of palefaces would date you if you offered something attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
California's tolerance is overrated. It's not really any more open minded than anywhere else in the country. Maybe 40 years it was, but if anything the West Coast has stagnated and other areas have caught up.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:56 AM

25 posts, read 37,294 times
It happened in the same town and this is what I was talking about to be clear. It was not gang related, it was race related, drunk football players beat up a latino for being with a white woman.

Latino in America: 'The Mexican in Town' - CNN.com

Old 06-27-2015, 12:02 PM

25 posts, read 37,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
California's tolerance is overrated. It's not really any more open minded than anywhere else in the country. Maybe 40 years it was, but if anything the West Coast has stagnated and other areas have caught up.
Say whatever you may, but in my situation, I have never faced issues in California for dating girls who were white. I have also known plenty of Asian and Brown men who have dated white girls in the state and there has rarely been an issue over it. No one has ever made a big deal out of it, people accept it as being normal and just stuff that happens. All of this contrasts what I experienced in New York and what I have heard about in terms of racism in that area.

Perhaps other places are just as open minded as CA, I'll just have to wait and find out for myself to this point. The point I do want to make is that New York is an awful area for interracial couples that involve white women with men that might happen to be Indian, especially if the woman is attractive. The northeast is far from this liberal paradise everyone makes it out to be, there is some serious racism there and among the worst in the country as well.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:08 PM

380 posts, read 607,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabaRanks2 View Post
Native new yorker here that wants to shed light on this issue and let everyone know what probably went on here.

The hot blonde types in NYC are relatively rare compared to other kinds of attractive women in the city, most of the white women in the city are from backgrounds where dark hair and darker skin are more common (Jewish, Italian, etc.). For the few hot blondes that exist in NYC, the competition for them is rough because there are so many men that want blondes yet only so many of the blonde Scandinavian looking types to go around. Typically, you will find these women with tall WASPy wall street banker types or just high value white men in general. I have never known an Indian, Middle Eastern, or any kind of foreign man get with these kinds of women so you would have attracted my attention for sure.

Indians in NYC are seen in a mostly positive light, no one really hates them at all. A good number of people see Indians as a respectable group and people hardly have much of an issue with them. The issue is, a lot of Indian men in NYC are also foreigners from India who are somewhat socially awkward to western ways due to their upbringing. Women of NYC do not typically see Asian and Indian men as being desirable dating options because of the sample population of Asians and Indians that are in the city, typically foreigners as opposed to the more assimilated ones.

The problem here is that some native New Yorkers cannot grasp the idea of an Anna Nicole Smith lookalike that would usually go for the WASPy banker type of guy getting with an Indian guy. To an extent it interferes with their world view. A lot of them wonder why a woman that would typically go for a tall, white, handsome, and rich male would want to go for a guy that looks Indian.

New York has a lot of foreigners and whites whose families immigrated here, a lot of those groups hold some prejudice towards darker skinned individuals. So while most people in NYC have absolutely no issues with Indians, seeing one with the kind of woman that is known to go for the wall street banker types would turn heads and attract some uncomfortable opinions and views.

In Manhattan, this should not be an issue and I don't find it being a big problem in certain parts of Brooklyn and Queens. When you start to go to Staten Island, Long Island, and other ethnic white enclaves, it can become a major problem that would invite some unwelcomed confrontations.
Have you seen a wall st banker these days? They as likely to be a short Jew or Indian (albeit more the American type than the foreigner) as a tall wasp. Those Bonfire of Vanities days are gone, NYC is a meritocracy.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:22 PM

171 posts, read 142,212 times
Quote:
I am an Indian guy and my fiance is white, she is your typical blonde hair blue eyed American woman who gets told she looks like Heather Graham a lot and I get told I look like Fareed Zakaria, a lot. What I notice is that no one in my state has an issue with it at all and a lot of the people do not mind. Most people do not acknowledge it which is amazing, we practically get treated like same race couples here.

After running into some transplants from places like New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey and having visited New York, I realized that other areas are not so accepting. When I was in NYC and sitting on a subway with my fiance, one older man (white) was openly making jokes and racist comments towards us. That was not the only instance, we noticed that eating at restaurants and just checking into hotels there, people were making a big deal out of it at times. We would eat at the restaurant and sometimes the waiter would say "this is strange, you don't see blondes with guys that look like you".

Now I noticed that most of the times, interracial relationships in the USA are Black men with white women and white men with just about any woman that is not white. It is not that common for white women in the country to date or marry a guy that is not white or black, California seems to be an exception to this rule.

Are there any other places in the USA that are like California though? Places where if a woman who happens to be white and exceptionally attractive dates or marries a man that is south asian, no one will make a big deal out of it?
Hey Creep , I embarrassed you in that other thread and you made another one here ...

Good folks of City Data , please stop feeding this troll.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:31 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabaRanks2 View Post
blah, blah, blah.
It would be a lot more believable if it wasn't your first post to the forum. Amazing coincidence!

Old 06-27-2015, 01:34 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
I live in a state that is tehcnically considered "bible belt"...I'm a white guy and have dated Indian girls, one could say I have a thing for Indian girls. My first girlfriend in high school was actually Bengali; and the only racial issues we ever had was with her parents not wanting her to date a white boy! haha

This is in the Research Triangle area of NC; a highly educated metro area that has a fairly large East Asian and South Asian population and is overall a fairly progressive place.

Is NC like CA? Nope. However I don't consider that a bad thing.....not at all.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:49 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
no offense but you aren't that interesting.
True statement that needs to be told to more CD users more often.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
Have you seen a wall st banker these days? They as likely to be a short Jew or Indian (albeit more the American type than the foreigner) as a tall wasp. Those Bonfire of Vanities days are gone, NYC is a meritocracy.
That's what I was thinking. Wall Street is hardly dominated by WASPs.

It's almost certainly majority Jewish and Asian at this point, and very heavily international,with people from anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.