Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 02:31 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I've gone on real estate sites and poked around Minneapolis in what would seem like similar, desirable neighborhoods to mine; classic, upscale street car suburb adjacent downtown, nice bungalows and larger houses with nearby amenities and the prices actually don't seem so far off from here in San Diego, maybe $100-200k, or a larger house for the same. I know the average or median prices would be different but apples to apples not so much.

Never been to Minneapolis but friends who know me and have say I would like it. I hear the downtown is not that hopping though.
So would you say San Diego has higher quality housing than Minneapolis? I've always thought construction out West was shoddier than average, but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 02:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Offhand, I'd say Pittsburgh and Minneapolis, for starters. Columbus and Cleveland should qualify, too.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:26 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
So would you say San Diego has higher quality housing than Minneapolis? I've always thought construction out West was shoddier than average, but who knows.
No I wouldn't say that at all, in fact I'm pretty certain that the overall quality of homes there is better than here- we have thousands of cheap, small '50s-'70s homes that were built during the boom years.

I live in a hundred year old neighborhood- my sweet Spanish Revival is 87 y.o.- so the houses here compare to those of a similar era, and more substantial houses built during boom decades there. Even the ranchers there have basements and porches typically, and more robust construction overall. I've perused several shelter magazines and books showcasing some stunning homes there.

I'd say the tract houses built out in the burbs in each city the last couple of decades compare well to each other with an overall modest level of quality and construction. Ours are just more likely stucco and yours traditional or vinyl sided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.