Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:57 PM

336 posts, read 411,851 times

Advertisements

I'm 31, female, single, no kids yet. Deeply want to pick a city asap to settle down long-term, build deep roots, advance career and start family in. Currently near Berkeley/Albany, CA, and love this area yet feel there MAY be a better fit.

Have posted before and already researched, traveled, moved and chatted with locals loads. Still undecided yet have clarified preferences more. So starting a fresh thread in hopes of helpful comments as this forum is super helpful and U.S. is too big for me to research without help

=====
What city/cities meets most or all this criteria?

1) In United States or nearby Canada. Not Hawaii.
2) English is main language spoken.
3) The more racially/ethnically diverse the better but am finding that strangely hard to find so will settle for up to say like 65% white. No excessively racist/segregated culture. Yes I know racism is everywhere but it's much worse some places. I've liked the diversity of East Bay and D.C. for example.
4) The more socioeconomic diversity the better...yet less crime (especially violent!) the better. I know these two criteria kinda contradict each other but just seeking that balance. (My current city of El Cerrito, CA, is more crime than I want though adjacent Albany isn't as bad.)
5) The more GLBT-friendly the better.
6) Generally the more accepting, open-minded, kind, mature and progressive the predominant culture the better.
7) At least 50% Democratic voters; more better.
8) The more popular these things are the better: environmentalism, veganism, eating healthy, "alternative"/holistic/Eastern healing arts (wellness), nondenominational "New Agey" spirituality.
9) The more creative, artistic, expressive the better.
10) More hippie than hipster. By hippie I mean liking nature and nonviolence and expression and stuff, not some peoples' druggie-slacker definition. I'm not totally anti-drugs, just don't want overwhelmingly druggie culture which is why I'm hesitant about say Arcata or Ashland.
11) Middle class neighborhood sounds good.
12) Not too crowded/hectic like San Francisco. Berkeley even is pushing it. Yet within say 20-minute drive of major enough cit (ies) for tons of cultural, social, dating, shopping, job and food options.
13) Air quality index important.
14) The prettier the nature and closer and easier drive to hiking trails and camping and water warm and safe enough to swim in the better!! VERY important! Living near beach is ideal but with nice enough lake or river or something can live without beach. Snow sports aren't that important to me.
15) The more outdoorsy the overall culture the better! Plenty of people who adore yoga, bicycling, rockclimbing, hiking, surfing, camping, swimming, kayaking, picnics, grounding, tree-climbing, stuff like that!!
16) Weather not too excessive. Chicago winters and Austin summers for example too uncomfortable. 60s to 70s and no or little snow with decent amount of sun is really nice.
17) Good or great public schools K-12 with involved PTA. Bonus points for Montessori and Waldorf options.
18) Will change career if needed to live in right city, but ideally there is strong demand for dog walkers and pet/home sitters and trail or beach that allows off-leash dog walking.

=====
Ok, I could list more but will stop there. Have already lived in Santa Cruz, Austin, Takoma Park and Mt Rainier among other places. Great places and close fits but not quite.

Have been exploring Sebastopol/Forestville/Gratin and curious about West Marin, Monterey, Eugene, Corvallis, Asheville, New Mexico, Madison, Vancouver, BC. Would love more info and ideas. Have noticed that big enough cities tend to have outdoorsy, crunchy subcultures to find like-minded friends even if the city isn't found on "top 10 hippie city" type lists.

Thank you SO much!!! Sorry if I'm long-winded, haha!

Last edited by NatureYogi; 07-05-2015 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 05:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
You forgot to include what $$$ you can afford

Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You forgot to include what $$$ you can afford
Kinda depends on #18 but I am pretty resourceful seeing as I've afforded Bay Area. Have some certifications and experience in various fields and considering more vocational training. So cost isn't too huge a concern.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:48 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Asheville will have more than 65% white people but otherwise meets all your needs. Well I can't speak to employment but I am guessing you have another source of income and don't have to support yourself with dog walking.

Asheville can be a fun place to live if you bring your own job or have an independent source of income. Otherwise, be prepared for a struggle.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:54 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Ithaca and New Paltz in NY come to mind. Demographics and distance from a bigger city may be issues, but besides that, they fit much/most of the criteria.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Asheville will have more than 65% white people but otherwise meets all your needs. Well I can't speak to employment but I am guessing you have another source of income and don't have to support yourself with dog walking.

Asheville can be a fun place to live if you bring your own job or have an independent source of income. Otherwise, be prepared for a struggle.
Cool, thanks. My friend there was just telling me pros and cons. Overall seems great and cheap! Visited once.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ithaca and New Paltz in NY come to mind. Demographics and distance from a bigger city may be issues, but besides that, they fit much/most of the criteria.
Thanks a couple friends loved living there. Thought I heard intense snow though.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Cool, thanks. My friend there was just telling me pros and cons. Overall seems great and cheap! Visited once.
Asheville comes to mind

Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Uh-oh. I must have skimmed the OP. Having re-read the title I can't say Asheville is light on drugs. You will encounter hippie slackers.

I guess being from the Bay Area you would think it is cheap. Unfortunately the locals feel otherwise. Kind of hard to be priced out of your own home town.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Uh-oh. I must have skimmed the OP. Having re-read the title I can't say Asheville is light on drugs. You will encounter hippie slackers.

I guess being from the Bay Area you would think it is cheap. Unfortunately the locals feel otherwise. Kind of hard to be priced out of your own home town.
I wonder how many hippy type areas are actually light on drugs, in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.