U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 PM

7,606 posts, read 8,610,884 times

Advertisements

Jax metro contains plenty of rural areas...Yulee, Callahan, Baldwin, Middleburg, etc. Certain areas are quickly suburbanizing, but still tons of rural areas. And plenty of folks, we call em rednecks , who hunt and enjoy swamps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:45 AM

14 posts, read 12,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Jax metro contains plenty of rural areas...Yulee, Callahan, Baldwin, Middleburg, etc. Certain areas are quickly suburbanizing, but still tons of rural areas. And plenty of folks, we call em rednecks , who hunt and enjoy swamps.
Yeah northeast Florida is looking near perfect from both what I've heard and been suggested, and also from what I've researched myself, it's definitely right at the top of the list at this moment

Old 07-23-2015, 09:15 AM

55 posts, read 53,345 times
I lived in St. Augustine for 5+ years and loved it! There's a decent Irish presence there as well (my boss was from Waterford, Ireland). Jacksonville is also a great option, and is only 45 minutes (to downtown) from St. Augustine.

Things you may like about Northeast Florida -

Laid Back Mentality
Beaches
Good Weather 80% of the year
Several Brewery's
Live music everywhere.
Plenty of Hunting Options
Excellent Fishing
Cheap Real Estate
Ok job market.

I'd say northeast Fl and don't look back.

Also, Miami sucks, don't go there.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,238,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Hi all, thanks for reading.

New to the forum. Was looking around for info on areas to move to but couldn't find anything specifically tailored to me so I thought I'd make a few posts/questions in state categories I was considering moving to

I'm a young male currently living in Ireland (Born & raised), and looking to relocate within the next 4 years to the US. I've been considering Northern Florida, Southern Georgia or Alabama, or South Carolina (open to other suggestions!) and was hoping some of you could suggest some towns/areas that may be a good place for me to consider, based on what I'm looking for, which I'll outline below.

I'm looking for somewhere relatively rural (small towns as opposed to big cities, I'm really NOT a city person, I prefer hunting than sitting in traffic haha. I also like swampy areas) with good job opportunities (for a blue collar guy like myself) and a good economy.
I'm also hoping to avoid snowy winters, I've experienced enough cold for one lifetime where I am haha, ideally I'd never like to see temperature below 40F again if at all possible, hence why I only mentioned southern Georgia and Alabama as opposed to the northern parts of those states which, from what I gather, tend to be mountainous or at high elevation and therefore more prone to colder winters than the lowlands (Maybe suggest anywhere below 300ft elevation if possible?).
Also on the subject of weather, I'd like to avoid anywhere that has a reputation for damaging storms (Hurricanes, Tornadoes) such as the North Carolina coast for its hurricanes or northwestern Alabama for its tornadoes (feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed).
I also want to move somewhere with a low crime rate, I've seen a few seemingly nice areas only to discover they had high crime rates so I'd like to avoid that.
I also like the southern culture a lot, so that would be a plus as long as the place would be welcoming to an outsider like myself also

Examples of places I researched and very much liked are St Augustine, Florida or Florence, South Carolina. Also loved the look of Summerville, SC but discovered it's a hurricane risk (I think), don't get me wrong I know storms can occur anywhere but I'd like to minimize the risk of damaging hurricanes.

So with this info, anyone here able to make a few suggestions for me with some first hand information? Thanks again
The potential for tornadoes exists pretty much over 100% of the United States. It's simply a natural phenomenon from the collision of cold and hot air; so, if you are living in a place that gets warm at all, you are living with a place with a potential for tornadoes. It doesn't mean that every place will get tornadoes with the same frequency, but tornadoes are definitely a fact of life in the Southeastern United States.

The same goes for storms ... geographic location makes some places more of a target and some places less of a target. However, because many storms that begin forming in the Caribbean make it to landfall in the United States, the hurricane risk is often a function of mere proximity. Florida's placement as the #1 place where hurricanes come on to land is simply because Florida is closer to where the storms tend to generate. There's nothing really preventing a storm from coming onto land anywhere in the Southeastern United States. However, as a general rule, because hurricanes derive much of their power from their placement over water, the further inland you live the less likely you need to deal with hurricanes.

Something to keep in mind as you look at places to live ...

Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,874,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynplm View Post

Also, Miami sucks, don't go there.
What exactly do you have in Jacksonville? Your beaches are worse, your weather is worse, your city is smaller, has no flair and is more boring. In just about every metric Miami is better. We get more international tourists every year than your entire population, maybe by several times your population. Yet no one has heard of Jacksonville unless they live in Florida.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:53 AM

36,084 posts, read 34,388,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
What exactly do you have in Jacksonville? Your beaches are worse, your weather is worse, your city is smaller, has no flair and is more boring. In just about every metric Miami is better. We get more international tourists every year than your entire population, maybe by several times your population. Yet no one has heard of Jacksonville unless they live in Florida.
Let's not get carried away now.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people just prefer a place that flies under the radar with its own set of advantages...but they didn't have to slam Miami in the process.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:38 PM

55 posts, read 53,345 times
Quote:
Alright, alright. I shouldn't have said Miami sucks.
But, I don't really think Miami is better, I think it just depends on what you're looking for.
I am more into the quieter side of life, which is why I prefer Northeast Florida better.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:26 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,807,659 times
Savannah, GA has that quintessential Southern feel, if that is what you are wanting. The Southern starts to blur a bit in Jacksonville and St. Augustine. Culturally, Jacksonville is where the South ends and Florida begins, and by the time you reach St. Augustine the Spanish history and old culture of Florida is very much apparent. And there are a lot transplants from the north in Northeast Florida, just not as much as are in Central and South Florida.

Currently, Jacksonville has a better economy than any metro on the georgia or Carolina coasts, but you say you will move here four years from now, so who knows what things will be like. But one big plus for the northeast Florida area are the much lower taxes than what you will have in Georgia or Carolina.

I myself will be moving to Jacksonville in a few months from South Florida. You say you don't want to freeze, but I am actually looking forward to the more mild climate of Northeast Florida. It is not uncommon for my hometown of Naples to have a heat index of 90 degrees even in January. I don't want to have to experience it ever again. Northeast Florida seems pleasant though. January average low is mid 40s. Perfect open window weather.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:31 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,850,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Savannah, GA has that quintessential Southern feel, if that is what you are wanting. The Southern starts to blur a bit in Jacksonville and St. Augustine. Culturally, Jacksonville is where the South ends and Florida begins, and by the time you reach St. Augustine the Spanish history and old culture of Florida is very much apparent. And there are a lot transplants from the north in Northeast Florida, just not as much as are in Central and South Florida.

Currently, Jacksonville has a better economy than any metro on the georgia or Carolina coasts, but you say you will move here four years from now, so who knows what things will be like. But one big plus for the northeast Florida area are the much lower taxes than what you will have in Georgia or Carolina.

I myself will be moving to Jacksonville in a few months from South Florida. You say you don't want to freeze, but I am actually looking forward to the more mild climate of Northeast Florida. It is not uncommon for my hometown of Naples to have a heat index of 90 degrees even in January. I don't want to have to experience it ever again. Northeast Florida seems pleasant though. January average low is mid 40s. Perfect open window weather.
Those places in Florida are still southern, just a different style of southern. Just because an area like South Florida isn't the historic, quintessential southern doesn't mean it's somehow not part of the South. Lots of area in the region are far from the stereotypical South that many people associate with the Old South...they are all still the South.

Transplants don't make it less southern either...if that were the case then Atlanta would have become non-southern a couple of decades ago.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,961,262 times
Quote:
I prefer the climate of Jacksonville. It has more seasonal change and lacks a dry season. It's also a lot greener: plenty of palms but also the cypress, magnolias and maples you don't really see in South Florida.

But yeah, Miami for everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.