U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,808,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Those places in Florida are still southern, just a different style of southern. Just because an area like South Florida isn't the historic, quintessential southern doesn't mean it's somehow not part of the South. Lots of area in the region are far from the stereotypical South that many people associate with the Old South...they are all still the South.

Transplants don't make it less southern either...if that were the case then Atlanta would have become non-southern a couple of decades ago.
No, on so many levels.

Atlanta is 1000% southern, first of all. Most transplants to Atlanta are from the South. I had the unpleasant experience of Atlanta for over a year. As a Floridian I found it very much not to my liking.

Florida is NOT southern. And there is at least one person moving to Jacksonville in a few months (myself, a Floridian) who would be offended if you referred to me as such.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 11:03 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,961,708 times
Florida and Jacksonville is not southern? lol You are in for a rude awakening if you believe that outside of some areas in south florida. You must be a cultureless transplant to florida be so offended

jimmy buffett, climate ,sec and acc football,the worlds largest cocktail party georgia/florida, shrimp, crab, oysters, clams and conch ,azaleas , magnolia trees , gardenias , Zora Neale Huston, Tennessee Williams, Marjorie , Carl Hiassen ,Skynyrd.,outlaws ,southern rock,bikers, food, the police, the residents, the politics and tallahassee and the solid south red state, even if you want more controversial aspects there were more confederate flag protests in florida than there were in virginia/maryland lately. I am not proud about this southern aspect, but read about florida and segregation , the whole slower way of life, even the damn florida state flag has a southern and confederate history for good or bad

read the yearling by marjorie Kinnan Rawlings for this states heritage instead of just being a transplant

you are a native?

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-25-2015 at 11:34 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Florida and Jacksonville is not southern? lol You are in for a rude awakening if you believe that outside of some areas in south florida. You must be a cultureless transplant to florida be so offended

jimmy buffett, climate ,sec and acc football,the worlds largest cocktail party georgia/florida, shrimp, crab, oysters, clams and conch ,azaleas , magnolia trees , gardenias , Zora Neale Huston, Tennessee Williams, Marjorie , Carl Hiassen ,Skynyrd.,outlaws ,southern rock,bikers, food, the police, the residents, the politics and tallahassee and the solid south red state, even if you want more controversial aspects there were more confederate flag protests in florida than there were in virginia/maryland lately. I am not proud about this southern aspect, but read about florida and segregation , the whole slower way of life, even the damn florida state flag has a southern and confederate history for good or bad

read the yearling by marjorie Kinnan Rawlings for this states heritage instead of just being a transplant

you are a native?
I am a native. I was born in south Florida (naples). I have lived in Naples, Tampa, Orlando, and partied enough in Miami to have practically lived there. And no, Florida is not the South, and thank god for that.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:32 AM

Gotta love how some people think food determines the culture of an area. Lol. And for the record, buffalo wings are probably the most common food ordered in Florida.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,961,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Gotta love how some people think food determines the culture of an area. Lol. And for the record, buffalo wings are probably the most common food ordered in Florida.
buffalo wings are the most ordered food in florida? lol. you are definitely a person of deep culture and roots and obviously some atrocious manners judging how you post about people from the south. In my fraternities backyard and our neighborhood there was grapefruits oranges, various tangerines, strawberries potatoes tomatoes you can find marlin conch fritters oysters, all types of fish from grouper , gulf pink shrimp, scallops ,boiled peanuts Key lime pie and you are settling for a sports bar?

that is the problem so much of america is just a cultureless strip mall

I hope you love non southern jacksonville lol

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-26-2015 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 AM

36,090 posts, read 34,399,707 times
Quote:
Florida is NOT southern. And there is at least one person moving to Jacksonville in a few months (myself, a Floridian) who would be offended if you referred to me as such.
Let us know how non-Southern it is after you've been in Jacksonville for six months.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,851,599 times
Quote:
I am a native. I was born in south Florida (naples). I have lived in Naples, Tampa, Orlando, and partied enough in Miami to have practically lived there. And no, Florida is not the South, and thank god for that.
Florida is definitely the South...what else is it? It's not the stereotypical South, but still the South. And your silly comment disparaging the South in favor of Florida??? Florida is the laughing stock of the U.S. right now...everything weird and backwards seems to always have a Florida connection. You're lucky we even claim you.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:29 PM

8,866 posts, read 5,556,179 times
Quote:
No, on so many levels.

Atlanta is 1000% southern, first of all. Most transplants to Atlanta are from the South.
Yes they are, due to Dade & Broward Counties. Although I think Chicago may be the current leader.

Quote:
I had the unpleasant experience of Atlanta for over a year. As a Floridian I found it very much not to my liking.
It's not for everyone of course, no place is. But there are hundreds of thousands of your former neighbors living happily here, and they continue to come in waves.

Quote:
LOL!!! You're going to just LOVE Jacksonville!

Old 07-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Florida is definitely the South...what else is it? It's not the stereotypical South, but still the South. And your silly comment disparaging the South in favor of Florida??? Florida is the laughing stock of the U.S. right now...everything weird and backwards seems to always have a Florida connection. You're lucky we even claim you.
Florida is not the South. Florida is and becoming ever more so its own culture, and that culture is not Southern. And I love being a part of it. Please don't claim us, because we don't claim you.

I can only say how hilarious it is, all these insecure Southerners posting on this thread, at least two of which are from Atlanta (one of the most foul cities in this nation) all acting like they think they know what cultural niche Florida belongs in.

It must be an insecurity thing. Florida is a cultural, demographic, and economic giant. Of course, our neighbors to our immediate north want to think Florida is in the same group as them. Sorry, but the vast majority of Floridians, especially ones born here like myself, do not identify with a part of the nation that has always been and continues to this day be on the ass side of history. Florida is a live and let live, extraordinarily diverse across the whole state, beaches, palm trees, party all night-work hard all day state. Most people who live here are or are descended from northern or international transplants. On my team at work there is me (Florida born), two people from Cuba, a third person born to Cuban parents, a Minnesota, and a Long Island New Yorker, and our boss is from California. I almost want to show them this thread and see what they think of it. . But no, absolutely not.

The South knows Florida wants nothing to do with it, but hey, speak your frustrations out on an anonymous forum. Don't go to Miami (or even Tampa or Orlando) telling people how "Southern" they are though. At best you are going to get some strange stares and who knows what will happen at worst.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes they are, due to Dade & Broward Counties. Although I think Chicago may be the current leader.

It's not for everyone of course, no place is. But there are hundreds of thousands of your former neighbors living happily here, and they continue to come in waves.

LOL!!! You're going to just LOVE Jacksonville!
I know countless people like myself, who moved to Atlanta for something "different" and moved back because we didn't like it at all. And "hundreds of thousands". Not a chance. I was quite social up in Atlanta and I rarely met people that weren't born from somewhere else in the South.

For the bold, I might. I have a lot of friends from the Jacksonville area actually. Four off the top of my head and only one of them comes off as a typical Southerner, the other three, not at all. I have some personal reasons why I have to move to Jacksonville and I won't know what it is like until I experience it first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.