U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:31 PM

8,854 posts, read 5,549,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I know countless people like myself, who moved to Atlanta for something "different" and moved back because we didn't like it at all. And "hundreds of thousands". Not a chance. I was quite social up in Atlanta and I rarely met people that weren't born from somewhere else in the South.
I moved here from Florida, and know better. You made the initial claim, and you are totally wrong. It's now on you to prove this claim with stats. Hint - you won't be able to over the past few decades, but go ahead and try if you have some time.

Quote:
For the bold, I might. I have a lot of friends from the Jacksonville area actually. Four off the top of my head and only one of them comes off as a typical Southerner, the other three, not at all. I have some personal reasons why I have to move to Jacksonville and I won't know what it is like until I experience it first hand.
Considering what you have posted and your general sour attitude regarding anything Southern (despite being FROM the South), I'll just say this. Jacksonville will change your opinion of Atlanta, and good luck.

You'll need it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 05:49 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,960,787 times
I think this "happiness -is -close" is a troll or a ghost, there seems to be alot of these on this board lately. , alot of what he or she says doesn't make sense. They claim to be from florida but they never seem to say anything about it and they hate the south but are moving to a place that is one of the most southern cities out there and the biggest city in florida, Jacksonville. Wait until sec football comes to jacksonville in october with the world's greatest outdoor cocktail party the florida/ georgia game. I am going with a few fraternity brothers and friends from the sailing team At UF and we get a boat and get away from the crowd and watch the game. Jacksonville on the water is in the 60s at night in october

Unhappiness- is -here claims to be born in a tacky place like naples but nobody can be born in naples, everyone there is over 80 and if you were young there is nothing to do. I know there are no colleges or any tech scene there because I checked out every school in florida and the main three are all in the sec or acc, going through naples is like a retirement community.

This is the problem with florida, everyone thinks florida is a place where you come to die. Not alot of floridians have any sense of place, you can watch the rays or marlins games and there are more red sox or yankees fans and cowboy fans at dolphins or bucs games but it is a great state and I would love to move there but I also want to relocate and find a tech scene or something cool in florida, not old people or jerk off transplants with no culture.

I am not a southerner but attended school there and have family there and anybody who says most of florida isnt very southern has probably never been anywhere else to compare, the history ,literature, landscape , food, and politics and pretty much everything, it may not have as many aristocratic plantations you see in other southern states but it has the equestrian culture in ocala, my buddy worked for a sugar company there and they were big in the caribbean and it was an old line southern plantation family.

But like unhappiness put it, whatever you do, dont worry about a going to a biker festival with a confederate flag but dont get near orlando or tampa and talk about southerness lol, my best friend was beat up by minnie at a character breakfast. orlando is a mean ass place

naples florida

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-26-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 06:18 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,807,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I think this "happiness -is -close" is a troll or a ghost, there seems to be alot of these on this board lately. , alot of what he or she says doesn't make sense. They claim to be from florida but never seems to say anything about it and they hate the south but are moving to a place that is one of the most southern cities out there and the biggest city in florida, Jacksonville. Wait until sec football comes to jacksonville in october with the world's greatest outdoor cocktail party the florida/ georgia game. I am going with a few fraternity brothers and friends from the sailing team At UF and we get a boat and get away from the crowd and watch the game. Jacksonville on the water is in the 60s at night in october

Unhappiness- is -here claims to be born in a tacky place like naples but nobody can be born in naples, everyone there is over 80 and if you were young there is nothing to do. I know there are no colleges or any tech scene there because I checked out every school in florida and the main three are all in the sec or acc, going through naples is like a retirement community.

This is the problem with florida, everyone thinks florida is a place where you come to die. Not alot of floridians have any sense of place, you can watch the rays or marlins games and there are more red sox or yankees fans and cowboy fans at dolphins or bucs games but it is a great state and I would love to move there but I also want to relocate and find a tech scene or something cool in florida, not old people or jerk off transplants with no culture.

I am not a southerner but attended school there and have family there and anybody who says most of florida isnt very southern has probably never been anywhere else to compare, the history ,literature, landscape , food, and politics and pretty much everything, it may not have as many aristocratic plantations you see in other southern states but it has the equestrian culture in ocala, my buddy worked for a sugar company there and they were big in the caribbean and it was an old line southern plantation family.

But like unhappiness put it, whatever you do, dont worry about a going to a biker festival with a confederate flag but dont get near orlando or tampa and talk about southerness lol, my best friend was beat up by minnie at a character breakfast. orlando is a mean ass place

naples florida
Jacksonville is the 4th largest city in Florida. Just because Jacksonville has the largest city boundaries doesn't make it the most populous city in the state. The Jax metro has about 1.5 million people. Orlando-2.3 million, Tampa/St.Pete-2.8 million, and Miami/Ft.Lauderdale-5.7 million, are all noticeably more populated metros.

And to say no one can be born in Naples is just stupid. You think a county with more than 300,000 people and a median age of 44 doesn't have any kids? There are many people that are born there.

I have a well established sense of place, thank you. Florida is the only home I know, and I consider it one of the more grand states in our nation. And I do root for the Dolphins. (I also root for the Patriots, but only because so many of my friends and family do, and they are just fun to watch). Baseball I don't care about.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:09 PM

I was obviously being facetious about no one being born in Naples, but there is no way the median age in naples is under 60 , maybe it lowers adding fort myers and all of collier county but I just did a quick search and the median age in naples florida was 61 and that seems very generous from the times I have been there but whatever, most of the people I have met from florida are pretty polite but you dont seem to have very good manners from this thread but whatever, maybe you are much more polite in person. I only know florida from visiting and going to school there but I love the state and reading about its history and its unique environment and I can tell you right now it seems extremely southern in most of the places I have been.

It maybe doesnt have as many plantation houses and big farms as alot of the south and it may be not as southern in the strip malls and suburban sprawl of alot of florida but for someone like me who is not a southerner, florida is very southern..I mean you are moving to Duval county!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:44 AM

36,073 posts, read 34,378,954 times
Quote:
I know countless people like myself, who moved to Atlanta for something "different" and moved back because we didn't like it at all. And "hundreds of thousands". Not a chance. I was quite social up in Atlanta and I rarely met people that weren't born from somewhere else in the South.

For the bold, I might. I have a lot of friends from the Jacksonville area actually. Four off the top of my head and only one of them comes off as a typical Southerner, the other three, not at all. I have some personal reasons why I have to move to Jacksonville and I won't know what it is like until I experience it first hand.
Okay, I'll bite: what exactly is a "typical Southerner" and how do they come off?

For the 4.5 years I lived in Atlanta, I encountered roughly an equal number of native Southerners and native non-Southerners. Sounds like you might have been mixing and mingling primarily in the exurbs or something.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Okay, I'll bite: what exactly is a "typical Southerner" and how do they come off?

For the 4.5 years I lived in Atlanta, I encountered roughly an equal number of native Southerners and native non-Southerners. Sounds like you might have been mixing and mingling primarily in the exurbs or something.
I mingled primarily in the gay bars in Midtown actually. I guess as it is Atlanta is a huge magnet for gay men who migrate there from small rural conservative towns throughout the South. I found it a bit funny how they all spoke about how everyone in Atlanta is from "somewhere else" but when you get down to the specifics you find out that 90% come from small conservative towns throughout the bible belt. And it shows...... It very much shows.

Typical southerners have a look, and a way of talking, a disposition if you will. They don't hold conversation the way people do in other parts of the country. They pry and pry and pry into your personal life in rude and uncalled for ways. It happened the first several times and I just thought I was meeting weird people, but no, it is very much just a part of being Southern, or at least being "Atlanta".

Old 07-27-2015, 04:36 PM

36,073 posts, read 34,378,954 times
Quote:
I mingled primarily in the gay bars in Midtown actually. I guess as it is Atlanta is a huge magnet for gay men who migrate there from small rural conservative towns throughout the South. I found it a bit funny how they all spoke about how everyone in Atlanta is from "somewhere else" but when you get down to the specifics you find out that 90% come from small conservative towns throughout the bible belt. And it shows...... It very much shows.
The most you could say is that this only applies to a very small subset of the overall population. Although the gay population in Atlanta is relatively large, it's nowhere near large enough to serve as an adequate sample size for the general population. As you yourself noted, Atlanta is an oasis in the South for the gay community so you'll have more lopsidedness in that population. Personally, I ran across a ton of native Midwesterners when I lived there, especially folks from Michigan.

Quote:
Typical southerners have a look, and a way of talking, a disposition if you will. They don't hold conversation the way people do in other parts of the country. They pry and pry and pry into your personal life in rude and uncalled for ways. It happened the first several times and I just thought I was meeting weird people, but no, it is very much just a part of being Southern, or at least being "Atlanta".
I'm a born and bred Southerner and know tons of others and we don't incessantly pry into your personal life, whatever that's supposed to mean anyway. But okay.

I won't even touch the "typical southerners have a look" thing.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,849,208 times
Quote:

This is complete nonsense. Do you really hold such strict stereotypes about people? It's nauseating to read...I can hardly believe I'm reading it - it's totally false.

When you truly grow up you will understand that there are all kinds of people from all over the US and the world. You certainly can't effectively pigeon-hole people in the way that you do above - you can try but it won't go over well. You should know better than to make judgements about "typical southerners" based on your limited personal experience. Shame on you. You apparently attract strange people...don't try to pin your shortcomings on Atlanta.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This is complete nonsense. Do you really hold such strict stereotypes about people? It's nauseating to read...I can hardly believe I'm reading it - it's totally false.

When you truly grow up you will understand that there are all kinds of people from all over the US and the world. You certainly can't effectively pigeon-hole people in the way that you do above - you can try but it won't go over well. You should know better than to make judgements about "typical southerners" based on your limited personal experience. Shame on you. You apparently attract strange people...don't try to pin your shortcomings on Atlanta.
I will gladly pigeon hole my home state away from its neighbors. Sorry, but from my experiences in "The South", to say Florida is Southern is just an insult in my mind. And there seems to be an endless onslaught of Southerners on this board (none of whom live in Florida, many who have probably never visited the state) who want to pigeon hole The Sunshine State into something that it isn't. Sorry, I just can't sit there and watch it.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:12 PM

This thread is called "relocating to the south need info", and was started by a irish guy who was looking for a nice place to live in georgia south carolina or north florida where you could hunt and fish and be around nice people and like he said

" I also like the southern culture a lot, so that would be a plus as long as the place would be welcoming to an outsider like myself "

Happiness is close has turned this thread into his negative and narcissistic complaints about the south and it may just be probably more from the fact unhappiness has horrible manners and treats people poorly. Just work on your manners and be nicer to people . If you dont think florida is the south than why are you even in this thread? My cousin is gay and lives in Tampa and loves it there for all the restaurants and nightlife, why dont you think about there, its a few hours from naples. My cousin lived in Atlanta and loved it there too and I am sure Atlanta is higher rated by any gay magazine than most of florida.

Jacksonville is the south and if a gay person alienates other gays in Atlanta , Jacksonville is not the place to be, dont get me wrong, for the original poster, I actually love jacksonville and most of florida is very southern, I was just in the sea islands and amelia island.

I love all the sea islands in the south ( hilton head, st simons Amelia Island) and despite this negative happiness person, florida is very very southern and you would love it. Any place with spanish moss is very southern in my opinion

The original poster who started this thread might like St simons, Jacksonville, hilton head, myrtle beach any low country south in georgia or south carolina or north florida .hilton head, any of the sea islands all are very southern and very nice people

Amelia island Florida

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.