U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 AM

14 posts, read 12,871 times

Advertisements

Hi all, thanks for reading.

New to the forum. Was looking around for info on areas to move to but couldn't find anything specifically tailored to me so I thought I'd make a few posts/questions in state categories I was considering moving to

I'm a young male currently living in Ireland (Born & raised), and looking to relocate within the next 4 years to the US. I've been considering Northern Florida, Southern Georgia or Alabama, or South Carolina (open to other suggestions!) and was hoping some of you could suggest some towns/areas that may be a good place for me to consider, based on what I'm looking for, which I'll outline below.

I'm looking for somewhere relatively rural (small towns as opposed to big cities, I'm really NOT a city person, I prefer hunting than sitting in traffic haha. I also like swampy areas) with good job opportunities (for a blue collar guy like myself) and a good economy.
I'm also hoping to avoid snowy winters, I've experienced enough cold for one lifetime where I am haha, ideally I'd never like to see temperature below 40F again if at all possible, hence why I only mentioned southern Georgia and Alabama as opposed to the northern parts of those states which, from what I gather, tend to be mountainous or at high elevation and therefore more prone to colder winters than the lowlands (Maybe suggest anywhere below 300ft elevation if possible?).
Also on the subject of weather, I'd like to avoid anywhere that has a reputation for damaging storms (Hurricanes, Tornadoes) such as the North Carolina coast for its hurricanes or northwestern Alabama for its tornadoes (feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed).
I also want to move somewhere with a low crime rate, I've seen a few seemingly nice areas only to discover they had high crime rates so I'd like to avoid that.
I also like the southern culture a lot, so that would be a plus as long as the place would be welcoming to an outsider like myself also

Examples of places I researched and very much liked are St Augustine, Florida or Florence, South Carolina. Also loved the look of Summerville, SC but discovered it's a hurricane risk (I think), don't get me wrong I know storms can occur anywhere but I'd like to minimize the risk of damaging hurricanes.

So with this info, anyone here able to make a few suggestions for me with some first hand information? Thanks again

Last edited by JMT; 07-09-2015 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: cross-posting is not allowed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 AM

35,940 posts, read 34,005,984 times
The bend in the Atlanta coast along the northern Florida/Georgia coast shields it from a lot of hurricanes so I may would look into the Jacksonville and Savannah areas. Florence and Aiken, SC may be worth checking out also.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The bend in the Atlanta coast along the northern Florida/Georgia coast shields it from a lot of hurricanes so I may would look into the Jacksonville and Savannah areas. Florence and Aiken, SC may be worth checking out also.
Noted, thanks St Augustine isn't far from Jacksonville so I know that area is nice, as is Florence. I'll look into Savannah more and also Aiken

Old 07-09-2015, 01:35 PM

8,451 posts, read 13,362,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
New to the forum...I'm a young male currently living in Ireland (Born & raised), and looking to relocate within the next 4 years to the US.
You do know that people cannot just move to any foreign country they want, right? The country must want them, and want them because they have something their own citizens don't have, or because they want someone that will substantially add to that country's assets in terms of money, skills, or talent.

Check the Legal Immigration forum here for details.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,858,998 times
If you never want to see below 40F, well you need to come to Miami. Southern Georgia will see yearly freezes.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You do know that people cannot just move to any foreign country they want, right? The country must want them, and want them because they have something their own citizens don't have, or because they want someone that will substantially add to that country's assets in terms of money, skills, or talent.

Check the Legal Immigration forum here for details.
I'm familiar with how to go about legally relocating thanks

Old 07-09-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
If you never want to see below 40F, well you need to come to Miami. Southern Georgia will see yearly freezes.
Miami I'd like to visit but for residence its not my thing, I've been looking at northeastern Florida quite a bit though at the recommendation of a few people and it seems really nice okay I can live with a little lower than 40F lol

Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
True, but he also said he prefers culturally Southern rural areas that aren't prone to hurricanes/tornadoes. So he'll definitely have to compromise on at least one of his criteria.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True, but he also said he prefers culturally Southern rural areas that aren't prone to hurricanes/tornadoes. So he'll definitely have to compromise on at least one of his criteria.
And I'm willing to, more than likely the cold, basically I'm just looking for as mild a winter as (reasonably) possible, minimal frost or snowfall, hence I was looking at lowland areas as opposed to mountainous areas

Old 07-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
And I'm willing to, more than likely the cold, basically I'm just looking for as mild a winter as (reasonably) possible, minimal frost or snowfall, hence I was looking at lowland areas as opposed to mountainous areas
The regions you're looking at should suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.