Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:37 AM

676 posts, read 961,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Unnecessarily snarky much lol?.. How am I to know what level of knowledge you have, osmosis? Vulcan mind meld?

btw I didn't get into 'better' I was simply talking about ridership in a given population.. I'm not sure about government subsidies for car usage in Canada vs the U.S. but i'm sure there are a number of factors.
Actually I was being sincere, that was enlightening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 AM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikollen View Post
Canada is like being in mid size American city, even montreal outside the old historic area which is where tourists congregate feels really north american and suburban.
Umm...did you hang out in the suburbs??

Old 07-20-2015, 08:54 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Canada has more in common politically with north west part of US than any where else in the US. And Quebec have more in common politically with Europe than Canada politically.

The US is split politically and very divided country. Where Canada is more unity and united.With the exceptions of Alberta and Quebec politically is very different.
Was thinking about this a bit more and "except Quebec" isn't a small detail. It's almost a quarter of the country!

Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Canada has more in common politically with north west part of US than any where else in the US. And Quebec have more in common politically with Europe than Canada politically.
Not really IMO. Anti-government sentiment is much more prevalent in the American Northwest compared to Canada. I'd say Canadian politics is more aligned with New England.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:01 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
I've lived in Europe for over ten years and have visited Canada and Canada is nothing like Europe (they wish though)

Canada is like being in mid size American city, even montreal outside the old historic area which is where tourists congregate feels really north american and suburban.

My girlfriend whose first visit outside Europe was to Canada would mentioned how big everything was, big cars, big people, big houses, big shopping malls, no public transportation, big portions. Then we went to the US and she said "I see where Canada got its idea of everything has to be big from"

Mexico felt more like Europe with its old architecture, family oriented traditions, big squares full of restaurants, colorful dense neighborhoods etc. But Canada felt like the US.
There is plenty of public transportation in the cities but Canada definitely has its fair share of suburbia, SUVs/minivans, fast food, and shopping centres like the US.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:04 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Not really IMO. Anti-government sentiment is much more prevalent in the American Northwest compared to Canada. I'd say Canadian politics is more aligned with New England.

I think you mean libertarian base and pro guns difference of north west part of US.

So when it comes to LGBT and marijuana more liberal.

More hippies ,punks , hipsters and counter culture like Portland and Seattle

Old 07-21-2015, 11:26 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
I think you mean libertarian base and pro guns difference of north west part of US.

So when it comes to LGBT and marijuana more liberal.

More hippies ,punks , hipsters and counter culture like Portland and Seattle
Yes, but more conservative on economic and labor issues.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Canadian cities have terrible public transportations compared to latin american, asian or European cities, perhaps compared to the massively suburban north american city, canadian cities are thriving, dense metropolis vastly connected... but compared to the rest of the world, canadian cities are very suburban and spread out just like US cities.

As far as crime rate, crime is very overrated in most places around the world, unless you're in a war zone, crime most likely will never affect you anywhere!

I don't know what makes Canadians think their cities truly stand out from the North American cities, Canadian cities are just as spread out, suburban and dead boring as most cities in the US!
Welcome back Irene

Old 07-21-2015, 04:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:

My girlfriend whose first visit outside Europe was to Canada would mentioned how big everything was, big cars, big people, big houses, big shopping malls, no public transportation, big portions. Then we went to the US and she said "I see where Canada got its idea of everything has to be big from"

No public transportation? umm ok.....

Vancouver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AODAehoqxHU

Montreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFBuz9D8INg

Edmonton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y9aPuHj2wE

Calgary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCJCzXB6kXw

Toronto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmNOY3z1aCQ

Old 07-22-2015, 05:28 AM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Yes, but more conservative on economic and labor issues.

I thought they would be more pro guns and pro military.Where people in Canada are anti-guns and anti-military.

Canada more into labor unions than the North west part of US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.