Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:07 PM

11 posts, read 15,392 times

Advertisements

Hello, long time user but first time poster here. I was born and raised in Florida, which is where I currently live as well. My family and I have been taking vacations out west every year for the past 15 years. We primarily go for the hiking and incredible scenery, but we have also fallen in love with the different way of life. The opportunities for outdoor adventure and exploration simply cannot be matched anywhere else in the country. And there’s a special spirit of adventure amongst the people that live there as well. We would love to move out west somewhere in the next 3-5 years. My fiancé and I have been discussing all the different possibilities.

Here’s what we agree on so far:

We love places like Bend, OR and Boulder, CO. We want a community that is filled with fit, active people. I don’t care about liberal vs. conservative because I can’t stand politics in general. They’re all liars in my book. We just want a place with a live and let live attitude.

We don’t have children yet but do eventually plan on starting a family. Therefore, it would be important to have good schools in the area that we decide to settle down in. Also, a safe place to live with minimal crime is an absolute must.

We would prefer a climate that is on the sunnier side. We loved Portland and Seattle, but we visited in the summer and we are well aware that the gorgeous weather we experienced is typically only 3-4 months a year with the rest being overcast with a light drizzle. Being from Florida, we fear that the incessantly grey skies would wear on us the rest of the year. We would also like a change from the hot, humid Florida climate. Actually having 4 seasons sounds pretty great.

Outdoor recreation is key. We want access to mountains, forests, lakes, mountain biking and running trails, and preferably ocean (although this is not an absolute must). We love the idea of being able to go hiking, camping, mountain biking, and skiing (in the winter) on the weekends.

Size of the city is not all that important to us. We just don’t want to be in a small town. We would still like a place that has a good variety of quality restaurants, fun bars, great breweries, and a walkable downtown. And proximity to a large city would be nice for concerts, sporting events, et c.

Lastly, we would prefer a location in the west. We do love the fall foliage of the east, but we have decided that we can take an annual vacation for that.

Some of our favorite places that we are considering:
Bend, Boulder, Fort Collins, Boise (we’ve never been before, but we are intrigued by the area)
Missoula and Bozeman are on the short list as well, although we are somewhat concerned about being so far away from a major city/metro area.
Northern California is another great option, just concerned about the COL and how crowded it can be. The Bay area is great, but we’ve never been to the Sacramento/Davis area and don’t really know much about it.

Please let me know if there are any other large/medium size cities that we should be considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 02:13 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,480 times
What would you do to earn an income? This matters a lot because if you need a certain type of job then that can narrow it down and if you're in the service industry or work at Walmart then that changes things as well because some areas are very pricey.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Sacramento is actually pretty cheap by California standards, not too far from the Bay Area for urban activities, or the Big Sur/Monterey area for nature. Sacramento has a lot of recreation in the areas around it too, and the beautiful WIne Country close by too. Summers there are hot but it's not humid, and nights do drop into the upper 50sF or 60sF. Winters get a bit chilly. So you won't get a 4 season climate with snow, but you do get some seasonal change and can always drive up to the mountains for snow in the winter.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:46 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmountains724 View Post
Hello, long time user but first time poster here. I was born and raised in Florida, which is where I currently live as well. My family and I have been taking vacations out west every year for the past 15 years. We primarily go for the hiking and incredible scenery, but we have also fallen in love with the different way of life. The opportunities for outdoor adventure and exploration simply cannot be matched anywhere else in the country. And there’s a special spirit of adventure amongst the people that live there as well. We would love to move out west somewhere in the next 3-5 years. My fiancé and I have been discussing all the different possibilities.

Here’s what we agree on so far:

We love places like Bend, OR and Boulder, CO. We want a community that is filled with fit, active people. I don’t care about liberal vs. conservative because I can’t stand politics in general. They’re all liars in my book. We just want a place with a live and let live attitude.

We don’t have children yet but do eventually plan on starting a family. Therefore, it would be important to have good schools in the area that we decide to settle down in. Also, a safe place to live with minimal crime is an absolute must.

We would prefer a climate that is on the sunnier side. We loved Portland and Seattle, but we visited in the summer and we are well aware that the gorgeous weather we experienced is typically only 3-4 months a year with the rest being overcast with a light drizzle. Being from Florida, we fear that the incessantly grey skies would wear on us the rest of the year. We would also like a change from the hot, humid Florida climate. Actually having 4 seasons sounds pretty great.

Outdoor recreation is key. We want access to mountains, forests, lakes, mountain biking and running trails, and preferably ocean (although this is not an absolute must). We love the idea of being able to go hiking, camping, mountain biking, and skiing (in the winter) on the weekends.

Size of the city is not all that important to us. We just don’t want to be in a small town. We would still like a place that has a good variety of quality restaurants, fun bars, great breweries, and a walkable downtown. And proximity to a large city would be nice for concerts, sporting events, et c.

Lastly, we would prefer a location in the west. We do love the fall foliage of the east, but we have decided that we can take an annual vacation for that.

Some of our favorite places that we are considering:
Bend, Boulder, Fort Collins, Boise (we’ve never been before, but we are intrigued by the area)
Missoula and Bozeman are on the short list as well, although we are somewhat concerned about being so far away from a major city/metro area.
Northern California is another great option, just concerned about the COL and how crowded it can be. The Bay area is great, but we’ve never been to the Sacramento/Davis area and don’t really know much about it.

Please let me know if there are any other large/medium size cities that we should be considering.
Northern California ticks most of those boxes and its much cheaper than southern California as long as you are further inland.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:40 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,055,304 times
I would say come to Seattle, as there seems to be a fair amount of Florida expats here, but you said you would prefer a sunnier climate.
Eastern Oregon/Washington would probably suit you, as would Colorado and other Rocky Mountain states.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
What would you do to earn an income? This matters a lot because if you need a certain type of job then that can narrow it down and if you're in the service industry or work at Walmart then that changes things as well because some areas are very pricey.

I am currently an Orthopaedic surgery resident, and I won't even begin to start searching for job opportunities for another few years still. We just wanted to start making a list of potential places we would consider living.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I would say come to Seattle, as there seems to be a fair amount of Florida expats here, but you said you would prefer a sunnier climate.
Eastern Oregon/Washington would probably suit you, as would Colorado and other Rocky Mountain states.
Seattle is the most beautiful city in the country (tied with SF, but #1 nonetheless!). No other city can rival Seattle's combination of urban and natural beauty. Other than the predominantly overcast weather, I consider it utopia. Since I have never lived anywhere with that type of climate, I really don't know how I would handle it, but I am hesitant to say the least. Regardless, I have no doubt we would love the recreational opportunities there. It remains on our list as a possibility.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,055,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmountains724 View Post
Seattle is the most beautiful city in the country (tied with SF, but #1 nonetheless!). No other city can rival Seattle's combination of urban and natural beauty. Other than the predominantly overcast weather, I consider it utopia. Since I have never lived anywhere with that type of climate, I really don't know how I would handle it, but I am hesitant to say the least. Regardless, I have no doubt we would love the recreational opportunities there. It remains on our list as a possibility.
Try coming up during the non-summer months for a week and see. However, lately our winters have been drier than usual, so you may get a couple of sunny days dotted in there if you're lucky.
But seriously, I have ran into so many people from Florida here who absolutely love it, it's insane.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
@ineedmountains724

Quick sidenote: I lived in Seattle for 26 years. Yes, Summers are beautiful and you'll find cheerful, smiling people all over in the summer. Yes, the landscape is like a fairy tale land with all the green and moss and life.

BUT
I couldn't take it. Waiting all year for 2 months of Summer (and that is if you're lucky some years) was horrible. It came and went so fast. The rest of the year is fairly mild in temperature but it drizzles almost constantly. Many days my pants would be soaked to the mid calf from just walking around. Being close to the water the clouds seem to sit right on top of you and they are socked in with days of no sun for weeks. I wish I was exaggerating. I moved to New Mexico recently for a few years for some sun therapy but with my husband and I thinking about having children in the next few years we decided being closer to our families in the NW is a must. We are on a similar hunt now, trying to find good weather and nice people in a live and let live sort of environment.

So far we have Ashland OR, Bend OR, Walla Walla WA on the list with an option of checking out places in Idaho as well (I have a sister living there).

Good luck on your journey!! Hopefully we will both gain some insight on places that meet at least more than half of our criteria

But I just wanted you to know about Seattle for sure, I think you would regret a decision to move there within 2 years tops.

Best of luck!

Old 09-12-2014, 12:17 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
To the OP: I think Colorado may suit you. Fort Collins and Boulder, both college town, offer four seasons and the outdoor recreation you seek. I would also suggest you check out Flagstaff, AZ as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.