Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times

Advertisements

Whats funny is that Nevadans will be the first to correct you on how you should pronounce their state name, but everytime I go there they STILL dont know how to say Illinois correctly. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:20 PM

183 posts, read 859,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Whats funny is that Nevadans will be the first to correct you on how you should pronounce their state name, but everytime I go there they STILL dont know how to say Illinois correctly. Go figure.
I guess that is your own experience. Frankly I doubt it.

Note the 4th paragraph comment about Illinois here: //www.city-data.com/forum/2548899-post11.html

::

Last edited by New City V; 01-25-2008 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM

132 posts, read 595,322 times
The final "O" if pronounced would be Or-e-goin. It's not Ore-gawn mispronounced it's Ore-GONE the GONE mispronounciation. Correctly, it's a soft "O" Ore-GUN.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,296,078 times
The best way to remember is "or again."

Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM

10,115 posts, read 15,784,451 times
Ne-VAH-da is the Spanish way of saying it. If you say it that way then why don't you also say Tejas or Ca-li-Four-nia and Los An-heles LOL. People also do the same thing with Nebraska the way they do it with Nevada. Also some people say O-maha and other say Ah-maha.

I think Nevada and Nebraska as in "cat" sounds more American. Honestly I live all the way in Maryland and the only people who say Ne-VA-da are illegals and Mexicans.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 PM

10,115 posts, read 15,784,451 times
Oh yeah and with Ala-baa-ma too!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,136,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
The final "O" if pronounced would be Or-e-goin. It's not Ore-gawn mispronounced it's Ore-GONE the GONE mispronounciation. Correctly, it's a soft "O" Ore-GUN.
Huh? The local pronunciation is "or-uh-g'n." That's not a short 'o' - if anything, it's more like a short 'i'.

The *incorrect* pronunciation is the one that gives full value to the short 'o' - "or-uh-gawn" in my accent, "or-uh-gahn" in others.

(By "gawn" I mean the way I pronounce "gone" - it's difficult to write anything phonetically in English, without using the IPA...)

Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 PM

183 posts, read 859,833 times
CO New City Vegas Windows Media Audio Player :::: ~~~ Phonetic Pronunciation: kah-luh-RA-doe
NV New City Vegas Windows Media Audio Player :::: ~~~ Phonetic Pronunciation: neh-VA-duh
OR New City Vegas Windows Media Audio Player :::: ~~~ Phonetic Pronunciation: OR-ih-guhn

☆☆ Western States - How to Pronounce Nevada, Colorado, Oregon (broken link)

Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,042,579 times
New City V's devotion to this subject has resulted in the (somewhat childish) desire to muster up my most nasally Chicago squawk (after a night out on the town when it is at its worst and gets mixed with some weirdo new englandese I can only imagine I channel from spending too much time with my grandmother) and call him or her up as a prank and repeat the names of said states a few times on his or her voice mail.

I'd bet money that I could give him/her a list of small towns in the New England area whose pronunciation (either in 'standard english' or regionally) would be most befuddling (Worcester is only one example).

I stand by my notion that having regional shibboleths can be fun as long as people don't take it all too seriously. I find the whole thing a bit amusing, but I find even more amusing how seriously some people seem to take it. It almost makes me want to continue the error of my ways, just to spite 'em

Last edited by j33; 01-26-2008 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,021,578 times
LMAO!!! I like this thread. Frankly, i get a giggle out of some of the ways people pronounce Oregon. I like the ones that say Or-Gawn...lol
its not something i let bother me...
we've got some places around here too that unless you grew up here, they can be mighty difficult to pronounce!
Even the town I live in, some get really upset when people say it as Coozzz bay rather than Coos Bay. why waste worry on something like that? I'll tell people the right way to say Oregon, or some of our cities/towns, but its certainly nothing to freak out over! I do agree, some people just make WAY too much of it! silly....IMO
Tiff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.