Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 11:00 AM

49 posts, read 86,665 times

Advertisements

In 2011, my husband and I moved to Baltimore from Florida so that he could attend grad school. We are both 29 and looking to start a family in the next 3-5 years. We'd like to move back closer to our parents in central Florida, but we want to make sure we can find jobs in the editing/writing field. We have been thinking about Atlanta because we really enjoy larger cities that have distinct neighborhoods like Baltimore. However, my family is dropping hints that we should move back to Florida so that we can see each other more often. Any recommendations for cities in Florida that have a stable job market and offer a variety of things to do? We are a bit hesitant to move back to Florida because of the lack of cultural diversity in some areas, but we are open to suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 11:20 AM

55 posts, read 67,663 times
If you're moving back to Florida, there's 4 big cities that you'll have to choose from with many notable mid-size cities in between that you may also be interested in. I live in Baltimore now but am originally from Florida, so I may be of some help.

I would also like to say congrats! If I could move out of Baltimore today I would do it in a heartbeat.

Most Florida cities aren’t structured like Northern cities and are much more spread out.

Tampa is a notable exception. It has a decent job market, and distinct set of neighborhoods that are pretty well defined.

I personally always loved Northeast Florida (lived in St. Augustine / Jacksonville for 5+ years), I Always found that the vibe there was much more relaxed than many of the other parts of Florida, and the COL was really cheap. Jacksonville also has a growing downtown scene that I think is really cool.

I always liked Northeast Florida because I felt like it succeed in avoiding a lot of the negative qualities of larger Florida cities (i.e. traffic, materialist attitude, overpopulation, etc.). The only downside is that the job market could be better.

I’m headed in the opposite direction, hopefully to the Pacific Northwest, but good luck on your relocation.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,771,215 times
Atlanta isn't that far from FL plus our large airport always have cheap flights there

Old 07-21-2015, 06:52 AM

26,991 posts, read 43,557,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw315 View Post
In 2011, my husband and I moved to Baltimore from Florida so that he could attend grad school. We are both 29 and looking to start a family in the next 3-5 years. We'd like to move back closer to our parents in central Florida, but we want to make sure we can find jobs in the editing/writing field. We have been thinking about Atlanta because we really enjoy larger cities that have distinct neighborhoods like Baltimore. However, my family is dropping hints that we should move back to Florida so that we can see each other more often. Any recommendations for cities in Florida that have a stable job market and offer a variety of things to do? We are a bit hesitant to move back to Florida because of the lack of cultural diversity in some areas, but we are open to suggestions!
As someone who lives in Central Florida and lived in major Northeast US cities I would recommend looking elsewhere. There's nothing similar really between the two and quite frankly finding suitable employment in your field will be rather daunting given the lack of options. Atlanta actually has distinct neighborhoods if you do some research and think it could be your best choice in terms of proximity to the parents.

City Guide Neighborhood Directory | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 07-21-2015, 11:49 AM

7,776 posts, read 10,108,924 times
ATL is your best bet. Only 6 hours drive to Orlando or 1 hour flight.

I agree that Tampa and Jax would offer the most similarity in older neighborhoods as they both developed far earlier than the other FL cities. But they won't really meet your other desires (Tampa would come close). FWIW, Jax's economy is very healthy and strong in a number of industries, but probably not for writing/editing.

If you want to consider some other options, you could look at Nashville, Raleigh or Charlotte. All are a little closer to FL but I don't think they'd match what you can find in ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.