Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 02:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,122,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I'm curious, since it seems you are very self-sufficient. How do you get your water?
Las Vegas is city water.

Arizona is from my own well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Nobody wants to live in downton Phoenix or Houston because there is nothing to do there. .
You are so very wrong -

Resturants abound.

Theatre abound

Symphony abound

Broadway shows abound

Sports abound

Libraries abound

Museums abound

Transportation abound

etc

This is Phoenix.

I know. I'm here. You aren't

Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,329,650 times
You're kind of contradicting yourself.

A couple of posts back Phoenix was all tall office buildings, now it suddnely has all of these wonderful ammenities.

Phoenix is a typical sunbelt city. Its nice to look at the downtown (same as in Houston), but nobody wants to live there.

Furthermore I think its kind of a stretch to say that transportation abounds in downtown Phoenix. Are they even done with that light rail yet?

Old 02-02-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
You're kind of contradicting yourself.

A couple of posts back Phoenix was all tall office buildings, now it suddnely has all of these wonderful ammenities.

Furthermore I think its kind of a stretch to say that transportation abounds in downtown Phoenix. Are they even done with that light rail yet?
Not contradicting at all. You said, specifically, that no one wants to live downtown because there is nothing to do. You are wrong. There is lots to do. NOr, did I ever say it was "all tall buildings". Why must you deliberatly distort what someone says?

However, even with all there is to do, people, in a RECENT study STILL DO NOT WANT TO LIVE DOWNTOWN. I understand that may be difficult for you to comprehend but, that is the way it is.

Heck - we have mass transit on every street downtown - north and south and east and west. Light rail will be starting up this year.

I understand this goes against your way of thinking but - people TRAVEL TO THE WONDERFUL AMENITIES downtown - then, go home.

That's just the way Phoenix is - and will continue to be. We love our so-called "sprawl".

Old 02-02-2008, 03:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
mead: my apologies, I found the post where you said you had been to LA, Vegas, Phoenix, the Carolinas, and Atlanta (I think). It doesn't sound like you've ever been to Pittsburgh, Denver or Omaha, so I thought I'd post some pictures. Granted, they're not NYC, but neither are the Mayberry, RFD!

Denver:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...uth-pearl.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ml#post2116900

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ml#post2175979

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html

There are lots more and they are easy to find as our mod, Mike, indexed them.

Pittsburgh:

Falls Colors of Pittsburgh - SkyscraperPage Forum

PittsburghSkyline.com - Professional Photographs from the great City of Pittsburgh

Not as many and they are not indexed like Denver's or "stickified" like Omaha's.

Omaha:

//www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...res-omaha.html

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-02-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-02-2008, 03:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,329,650 times
Thanks for the links. Never been to Omaha, but I have been to Des Moines. Went to Pittsburgh as a child, don't remember anything about it, although I did have several friends from College from 'burg (went to school near Philly). Have only passed through Denver's airport (the airport is nice, but the wind shears always make me nervous, so I try to avoid getting connecting flights in Denver).

EDIT: Really nice pics. Denver looks especially nice. I'll have to check it out eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
mead: my apologies, I found the post where you said you had been to LA, Vegas, Phoenix, the Carolinas, and Atlanta (I think). It doesn't sound like you've ever been to Pittsburgh, Denver or Omaha, so I thought I'd post some pictures. Granted, they're not NYC, but neigher are the Mayberry, RFD!

Denver:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...uth-pearl.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ml#post2116900

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ml#post2175979

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html

There are lots more and they are easy to find as our mod, Mike, indexed them.

Pittsburgh:

Falls Colors of Pittsburgh - SkyscraperPage Forum

PittsburghSkyline.com - Professional Photographs from the great City of Pittsburgh

Not as many and they are not indexed like Denver's or "stickified" like Omaha's.

Omaha:

//www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...res-omaha.html

Last edited by mead; 02-02-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 04:30 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
^^^ Just an FYI, DesMoines is in a different state than Omaha. Two very different cities.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,393,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You are so very wrong -

Resturants abound.

Theatre abound

Symphony abound

Broadway shows abound

Sports abound

Libraries abound

Museums abound

Transportation abound

etc

This is Phoenix.

I know. I'm here. You aren't
Honestly, unless downtown Phoenix has completely changed in the past 6 months, your statement is a complete exaggeration. Except for game nights, downtown is dead.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,393,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

One of the rights under the constitution is the freedom to own property. To live wherever we wish. However we wish.
You must be reading a different document than the Constitution I know.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Honestly, unless downtown Phoenix has completely changed in the past 6 months, your statement is a complete exaggeration. Except for game nights, downtown is dead.
Not an exaggeration at all

All that I noted is there - and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.