Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Get used to it. Immaturity is now the "norm" on this forum, and whenever we try to bring abuse of the negative reputation system to anyone's attention, we're the ones who get treated like the burden.
This is true. Off-topic, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
This is true. Off-topic, but true.
Yes. Off-topic indeed, and I apologize. I just needed to vent what was irking me!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
This is the exact reason why I'm moving to Scranton, where people are INTELLIGENT enough to have SIDEWALKS along their GRID-SHAPED, and TREE-LINED streets.
Out here in rural AZ, we prefer not to have sidewalks with tree lined streets. IN FACT, some of our "streets" are not even paved - heck, we get a road grader and simply cut a path!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Out here in rural AZ, we prefer not to have sidewalks with tree lined streets. IN FACT, some of our "streets" are not even paved - heck, we get a road grader and simply cut a path!
I'm assuming these aren't "main" roads though, are they? I'm referencing the fact that runners, joggers, moms pushing strollers, etc. shouldn't be forced to jockey for position with speeding SUVs on main drags. My own subdivision doesn't have sidewalks, curbs, street lights, etc. either, but I couldn't care less because our roads handle perhaps 200 vehicle trips per day as compared to the tens of thousands on the roadway I fell on. I've had too many close calls for my personal taste.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming these aren't "main" roads though, are they? I'm referencing the fact that runners, joggers, moms pushing strollers, etc. shouldn't be forced to jockey for position with speeding SUVs on main drags. My own subdivision doesn't have sidewalks, curbs, street lights, etc. either, but I couldn't care less because our roads handle perhaps 200 vehicle trips per day as compared to the tens of thousands on the roadway I fell on. I've had too many close calls for my personal taste.
Heck yes - they are main roads into where the houses are.

You won't find to many moms pushing strollers - or joggers. You will find the duelly pickups, the SUV's with high ground clearances.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Quote:
Your name wouldn't be H.I. would it?

Just kidding.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Your name wouldn't be H.I. would it?

Just kidding.

OK - then again, I really did not understand your post anyway!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Quote:
OK - then again, I really did not understand your post anyway!
Raising Arizona

Old 01-30-2008, 04:01 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I don't think anyone wants to "drive everywhere". I have posted again and again how I live in a suburb that is walkable, and that there are many like it in metro Denver. I also grew up in such a suburb in the Pittsburgh area. I think it would behoove the city folks to actually get out in the suburbs and see what they are like. Most people live very close to a grocery store, as I said earlier, that is usually the first business to go into a burb. Most have libraries, sports fields, community parks, and other such amenities. Many have cultural facilities. The large ones have shopping, and not all in mega-malls.

RE: paragraph 3, most burbs have all that now. I only drive 4 1/2 miles to work, my husband drives 6. I know people who live in Denver and drive to the burbs to work who drive much farther.
Pittnurse please! We know some are walkable and have conveniences nearby but we all know it is not the majority of suburbs in America. You know it and I know it.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
A whole lot of the shift, which isn't just to urban areas, but also to higher density suburban developments, I feel has to do with the changing size of the American family.

When you have a 2 parent home with 4 kids, keeping the half acre yard mowed isn't hard.

http://www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/%7Ecdd/data/images/demo/hh_size_2000.gif (broken link)

When you're single or just have 1 kid, all the extra chores required to maintain such a property is a lot harder

The fertility rate, or number of children born to a woman in her lifetime, has also fallen dramatically

http://www.elderweb.com/sites/elderweb/files/albums/history/fertilityrate.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.