Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 02:42 PM

62 posts, read 69,702 times

Advertisements

I've been picking the brains of people in each forum, but wanted to get some general pros & cons from the people who live in those areas. I will be visiting both these areas this summer/fall. People can correct me if I'm wrong based on the following assumptions I have

Portland -
Less populated
City Closes down early
Closer to beaches for the summer
Lots of outdoor activities
Several towns have very good schools
Limited town/housing selection in my price range. Plus I'd be competing with seasonal home buyers
Lower cost of living
Less Job Openings, Less Job Salaries
Lower Crime

Hartford
More populated
Option of NYC or Boston within 2 hours
More Traffic
A lot of highly rated schools in the area
higher cost of living
High Number of houses in my price range
higher taxes
more job openings, higher salaries
higher crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 03:14 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs31 View Post
Portland -
Assuming you are talking about Portland, Maine and not the more well known one on the West Coast.

Yeah, I'd take Portland, Maine 100 times over Hartford. Hartford has more job opportunities to be sure, but Portland would me a nicer place to live with more to do, unless being closer to NYC is a higher priority. I'm just thinking in the city, Portland has a nicer downtown that's a lot more vibrant. Hartford's downtown is 9-5, and not so nice after dark. Hartford has nice suburbs, good air service, and a location advantage in terms being a jumping off point, rather than being in the city itself.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-02-2015 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 04:43 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
The suburbs of Hartford are peaceful, quiet and very safe. Crime is not an issue in suburban towns in CT. If you want good schools you're going to be living in a suburb, not Hartford itself.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
I live in Hartford. It's often overlooked because it's in between NYC and Boston. It's quite underrated to be honest. There are tons of job opportunities in Hartford over Portland. Hartford isn't a city that many out of state residents would visit for a day or even take a vacation in. It's a city where you stop for gas and if youre a local you'll go to the Connecticut Convention Center or the Connecticut Science Center. Compared to Portland where it's a small seaport city with old historic New England charm. Unfortunately Hartford doesn't really have a New England charm. The city tore a lot of old historic buildings down in the 60's and 70's to make way for modern office skyscrapers and plazas. The highways tore through old neighborhoods and schools. It was a disaster and developers didn't know the impact it'd make in the future. Hartford does have LOTS of jobs. Hartford is known as the Insurance Capital of the World and is home to many of the countries most renown Insurance companies such as Aetna, The Hartford, Phoenix Mutual, and Travelers. Compared to NYC and Boston, it isn't really a city where people would stay after work. All the workers clog the highway at 5 to leave for their homes in the suburbs. The only things that attract people to downtown are concerts, sporting events, and restaurants. IMO Hartford kind of operates like Cleveland or St Louis. It's a working city and its only busy during the afternoon.

If you're looking for the New England charm then I'd look into the suburbs. The suburbs in Hartford are a perfect example of surburbia. You have amazing schools and safe neighborhoods. The Hartford area is actually one of the wealthiest metropolitan areas in the countries and compare it to the city Hartford which is actually one of the poorest cities in America. In the suburbs you have good access to the capital city and a good mix of restaurants and malls. West Hartford has a better nightlife than Hartford. The suburbs supply more fun and entertainment than the capital city itself.

As for Portland, I've only been the city once. It was a nice 1 day trip. Nice peaceful downtown and a walkable seaport. If you're looking for a more quiet experience than Hartford isn't your choice unless you choose the outer suburbs. Portland's urban sprawl isn't nearly as bad as Hartford's.

And yes...your Hartford to Portland comparisons are pretty accurate

Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 AM

33 posts, read 34,079 times
I have lived both in Portland, Maine and outside of Hartford. The two areas are so completely different it's hard to compare. Portland is gorgeous, has a ton of recreational and cultural amenities for a city its size (the food options are endless!), and is paradise if you're an outdoor enthusiast. Real estate is expensive on the peninsula itself, but drops quickly as you fan out from there. Downside over Hartford is a slightly longer, colder winter, less jobs, and a lack of diversity.

I agree with Humpday's observations on Hartford - the city itself is pretty bleak but it is a thriving business area. West Hartford is a great town. Lots going on, quality schools, interesting and varied housing stock, tons of shopping if that's something you enjoy.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Hartford may have lots of jobs, but not job OPENINGS. The economy of central CT right now is not what I would call "good times." Jobs are hard to come by. With that said, I still think it has more job openings than Portland.

Personally, I would rather live and work in the Hartford area. Portland is just way too small of a city/metro. The Hartford area isn't that congested or busy. The jobs pay well compared to the cost of housing, so it's not really an issue. The scenery, IMO is also more appealing than Portland. And it's warmer. And it has an international airport nearby.

The city of Hartford might be a war zone, but the excellent suburbs make up for it, although some of them are snooty (i.e. Glastonbury, West Hartford) and I would not want to be seen in them. I hate snooty towns or any town in which people are obsessed with the school systems and wealth. Yuck.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hartford may have lots of jobs, but not job OPENINGS. The economy of central CT right now is not what I would call "good times." Jobs are hard to come by. With that said, I still think it has more job openings than Portland.

Personally, I would rather live and work in the Hartford area. Portland is just way too small of a city/metro. The Hartford area isn't that congested or busy. The jobs pay well compared to the cost of housing, so it's not really an issue. The scenery, IMO is also more appealing than Portland. And it's warmer. And it has an international airport nearby.

The city of Hartford might be a war zone, but the excellent suburbs make up for it, although some of them are snooty (i.e. Glastonbury, West Hartford) and I would not want to be seen in them. I hate snooty towns or any town in which people are obsessed with the school systems and wealth. Yuck.
I disagree. The unemployment rate in central Connecticut has been dropping, a lot. There are jobs available despite what nep321 says. Hartford does have some congestion but that is common is just about every major city in this country, or at least those that are not economically depressed. I also have to disagree with his contention that towns like Glastonbury and West Hartford are "snooty". They are affluent communities and do have some "snooty" people but both towns are diverse with a wide range of income levels. Most people are NOT obsessed with money but do care about their schools. What is wrong with that? Having known him since he began posting on this forum, I will say nep321 has a unique view on the world and not one that most people would agree with. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.