Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The combo of poverty AND poor education isn't necessarily a rule; just very common indicator. Texas, as you will see, has an absolutely abysmal poverty rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_poverty_rate

Virginia, on the other hand, has poverty under wraps but struggles with high school graduation rates, at 30th in the country. Clearly, its college graduates are streaming in from elsewhere in the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment

Maryland doesn't really recruit that many people to the military, so I'm not sure why it's part of your argument.

That is way wrong. Minnesota has gained population in every single census since statehood. It's gained 3% since the 2010 census, according to the US Census estimate. Minnesota's numerical growth was higher than every single Midwestern state — even higher than Illinois, which is more than twice its size.

Minnesota's population grows to 5,379,100 in 2012: Minnesota tops Midwest for increased population.

Clearly, there's a reason young people in Minnesota don't need to join the military for a shot at a better life.
You should have spent even a few minutes to actually research your statement " All I'm saying is that there is a correlation between poor education and poverty with military recruitment,it's just a fact" instead of posting all these wikipedia pages and gibberish above, not one line you posted shows any link between poverty and low education and military recruitment. You didnt post one sentence or link showing a correlation

These recruits are going into a high tech military operating some of the most sophisticated technology in the world , many young people from all backgrounds have been enlisting and are better educated and come from above average median incomes than their peers. This is especially true since 9/11

Freakonomics » Who Serves in the Military Today?

Getting into the military is getting tougher

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/15/news...ry-recruiting/

“American soldiers are more educated than their peers. A little more than 1 percent of enlisted personnel lack a high-school degree, compared to 21 percent of men 18 to 24 years old [in the general population].”

wikimedia commons photos

I have no clue what these all that other gibberish you posted is about, its all wikipedia pages and none of it shows any correlation between military service and poverty and education. You go on above about the minneapolis "astronomical" growth rate, minneapolis lost over a 1/3 of its population since 1950! I am glad its coming back the last few years form the "murderapolis" years but you want to see "astronomical growth" look at the sunbelt and texas triangle.

Your high school stats are from a wikipedia page with 2011 stats? Virginia and texas have higher high school graduation rates than minnesota according to this link http://www.governing.com/gov-data/hi...-by-state.html

All I have ever seen you post on this board is the exact same thing over and over with the minneapolis boosterism and bashing other states. Every post.

Last edited by floridanative10; 11-18-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
Quote:
States where education is poor and poverty is higher are strongholds for military recruitment.
This is a very linear point of view. Coming from Fayetteville, a place joined at the hip with one of America's largest military bases, Fort Bragg. It is not that education is poor, and recruitment isn't high simply because of poverty. In Cities with high recruitment there are usually multiple military bases. A good chunk of the population parents are either currently serving or have served. Likewise their parents also served. So a kid growing up where his dad was in the military, his mom worked on base, his granddad was in the military, his uncles also was in the military, his cousins are in the military, the same story with his friends in his neighborhood, and all them seemed to be alright financially. So most kids in these areas already have it as a thought long before a recruiter ever speaks to them.

Education is not poor but there is poverty and this does effect how things look on paper but doesn't tell the whole story.
A poverty, not education, crisis in U.S.: Column

There are a lot of factors, much of it the environment of the child, that would effect his/her education. This does not mean that education in the places with military presences are bad. These schools are both sending kids to the country's top schools and at the same time having other kids that either barely made it, or didn't at all.

In regards to poverty, this is due to many different factors as well, with the main reason being that outside of the military, public school system, hospital system, and college(s), there are not a lot of meaningful other places to work. There are civilian jobs on base but there is a heavy preference for those who had formerly served.

You are entitled to your opinion just when you form one try to look at more than A and B.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Military participation is (and always has been) higher in regions where there is less economic opportunity. You can go back to the Civil War with the newly arrived Irish joining the Union Army in far greater percentages than the Anglo-Saxon WASPs in states like NY. The Irish did so because there were few jobs available and many employers would not hire them due to bigotry (Irish need not apply practice).

Regions with less economic opportunities tend to have poorer and less educated populations. The comments above therefore aren't exactly earth shattering.

Patriotism is still a part of military participation. So are existing connections to the military such as family members that served or bases nearby that are a big part of the community. The premise that many join up mostly to better themselves (learn a trade, get paid/receive benefits, learn discipline, and possibly get college tuition) however should not be ignored as another reason tied to military participation.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:12 AM

199 posts, read 257,823 times
This map is pretty accurate from I observed when I was in the military. Many of the guys and girls I worked with were from states throughout the south. There was also a good handful from other parts of the US as well such as the west coast and the northeast. Some joined because it was the only way "out" from the bad situations that they grew up in, some joined because they graduated from HS or college and didn't have any other options, and some joined for the benefits like the GI Bill, decent pay etc. From my experience patriotism was a pretty big factor of joining as well.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Military participation is (and always has been) higher in regions where there is less economic opportunity. You can go back to the Civil War with the newly arrived Irish joining the Union Army in far greater percentages than the Anglo-Saxon WASPs in states like NY. The Irish did so because there were few jobs available and many employers would not hire them due to bigotry (Irish need not apply practice).

Regions with less economic opportunities tend to have poorer and less educated populations. The comments above therefore aren't exactly earth shattering.

Patriotism is still a part of military participation. So are existing connections to the military such as family members that served or bases nearby that are a big part of the community. The premise that many join up mostly to better themselves (learn a trade, get paid/receive benefits, learn discipline, and possibly get college tuition) however should not be ignored as another reason tied to military participation.

I dont agree with that part, most of these graphs show the highest military recruitment in the south and sunbelt region, if military participation is higher in regions where there is less economic opportunity wouldnt you see the stats higher Appalachia and and northeast and the rust belt where there are less economic opportunities? Military recruiting has really changed since 9/11 , you see people from all socio economic backgrounds who joined the military, like pat tillman and senators sons and alot more upper middle class kids

My brother was recruiter and the last few years since 9/11 the military has become alot harder to get in , all of the kids today have high school diplomas , no criminal record, the biggest problem he said to me was how many kids come in out of shape or obese

Old 11-20-2015, 07:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I'm proud to be from a state with a high percentage of military personnel and their families (Texas). I'm also proud to be from a military family (and no, we're not poor and most of my military ancestors weren't poor either). My family has fought in every war the US has been involved in since the Revolutionary War (both sides, British and American, in that war, and both sides, Union and Confederate in the Civil War).

My son, daughter, son in law, brother, and father are all combat veterans. My grandfather and his brothers owned and operated a flying school that trained pilots in WW2 (they were a bit too old to be drafted, being in their late thirties and forties during those years). One of my uncles was captured in WW2 in Germany and MIA for 8 months. One of my ancestors was shot through the head (probably the jaw) in the Civil War, but his comrades poured whiskey through the hole, wrapped it up, and he lived another 50 years. Other ancestors were wounded or killed in both the Civil War and the Revolutionary War. One of my ancestors was a nurse and one was a medic (they were married) who traveled to all the major Civil War battlefields together tending for the wounded.

So yes, the military tradition is alive and well in my family and we are very patriotic and appreciative of the military lifestyle as well as the military benefits (many in my family have taken advantage of the educational benefits of the military for instance). We've lived in and traveled to many different countries, thanks in part to Uncle Sam. I feel really blessed to have had the experiences of living in both Japan and Germany for instance, and we've had family members who have lived in Italy, Guam, Korea, Hawaii (I know that's not a foreign country but it's still cool), the UK, and probably some other places I can't recall right now.

We've also had family members be wounded, captured, or come home with a nasty case of PTSD, and we've all had to endure long family separations, sometimes while living far from extended family, and of course the stress of knowing a loved one is in a combat zone. The military lifestyle is not all free college and living in interesting places.

I'm very grateful for the experiences though, and proud of my family members who have served.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:46 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm proud to be from a state with a high percentage of military personnel and their families (Texas). I'm also proud to be from a military family (and no, we're not poor and most of my military ancestors weren't poor either). My family has fought in every war the US has been involved in since the Revolutionary War (both sides, British and American, in that war, and both sides, Union and Confederate in the Civil War).
Lieutenant Dan! How are your legs holding up?

Old 11-20-2015, 08:25 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Lieutenant Dan! How are your legs holding up?
Lol, I thought the same thing (and I'm a vet). Not to belittle the rest of her post, though

Old 11-20-2015, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Hahaha! Lt Dan has no legs, so I'd say they're doing rather poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.