Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 AM

647 posts, read 1,522,283 times

Advertisements

And just to reiterate, that's Portland Maine, NOT Portland Oregon.

So anyways, how hard is it to up and move to cities like Asheville, NC, Burlington, VT or Portland, ME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
There aren't as many jobs obviously as larger cities and would depend upon the type of job one is looking for. Professional occupations like IT, healthcare or middle management corporate positions would be achievable long distance though pretty much anything else (like the rest of the country) is something you would have to do once moved, and in such requires at least several months of savings to insure financial stability.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There aren't as many jobs obviously as larger cities and would depend upon the type of job one is looking for. Professional occupations like IT, healthcare or middle management corporate positions would be achievable long distance though pretty much anything else (like the rest of the country) is something you would have to do once moved, and in such requires at least several months of savings to insure financial stability.
So $10,000 saved? The thing is that if I could easily save that much then I'd want to keep my current job in my current city. Ugh.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
So $10,000 saved? The thing is that if I could easily save that much then I'd want to keep my current job in my current city. Ugh.
Then that's going to make things way harder. Those cities just don't have that many jobs. Imagine how many people would move there if they did. I guess most people get experience in their field in a bigger city, and then try to do the job relocation process to there.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:33 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Saving isn't easy, but you need to do it. You'll need moving costs, first/last month's rent, sometimes a broker fee, and all of that could easily be thousands of dollars. And that just gets you there. THEN you need several months' living expenses to hold you over until you get a job.

You could do it more cheaply if you hitchhike to get there an plan to sleep under an overpass for a few months. But hurry, in a few months it'll start getting cold in Portland and Burlington.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:40 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
And just to reiterate, that's Portland Maine, NOT Portland Oregon.

So anyways, how hard is it to up and move to cities like Asheville, NC, Burlington, VT or Portland, ME?
Asheville has an issue with people moving here and then getting stuck since the pay is so low and the rent is so high. So, it's easy to get here and live here, but hard to get anything of quality job-wise.

Your typical easy to find job here (if you're lucky enough to get something full time) will pay something like $18,000 a year and on rent alone you're looking at around $10,000 (assuming you live in Asheville & live in a studio).

However, between unemployment and part time workers it's around 40%. So...you figure you're part-time pulling in 9k and 10k is going out to rent (not accounting for the rest of your costs) and it's very easy to find yourself in a hole.

Some folks do the pile-in living with many roommates to make it more affordable. But not long ago the city started cracking down on this by enforcing odd laws on the total number of people allowed to live in a rental.

The "good jobs" in the area pay between $10 and $13 and are mostly through the hospitals or factory jobs on a 45 minute to an hour commute down to Greenville, SC.

You can make more if you get hired in at a professional job that requires an advanced degree and experience, but not always. For example teaching positions here don't make Jack. However, they are trying to change this by getting them housing vouchers for "affordable" housing.

The infrastructure isn't keeping up either. Lots of traffic. Power has gone off three times this month for no reason (I think they are rolling brownouts, but aren't telling anyone like they did with net service going out for a while). Although they are talking about running high power lines through people's property to keep the services going.

Just about anywhere in the sticks if you mention it you'll have a pissed off conversation buddy whether you wanted one or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
You could do it more cheaply if you hitchhike to get there an plan to sleep under an overpass for a few months.
You'd think this was a joke, but not really. Since our weather is decent most of the year we see a good number of traveling homeless teens. Although I've noticed a fair number of them seem to have tents and camp near the freeway on ramps on the edge of town. I'm assuming they have their own "laws/customs" that they self enforce so I'd chat a few up before you just set up any old place.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:54 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Very hard.

You could give it a shot, but I wouldn't count on it. Job postings are very scarce in those cities, and preference will undeniably go to any local candidates. For a time, I had considered Portland, ME myself, but in the end decided that it's just way too small of a city/metro, a bit too cold, and more provincial than one would think. It's actually not anymore scenic or beautiful than Connecticut either, in my opinion. But overall, it is a neat place.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Best bet is to try to get a job locally with a company that has a presence in one of the cities you want to move to, then see if a transfer is feasible. You could also include smaller towns that are nearby as transfer options

Old 08-11-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Best bet is to try to get a job locally with a company that has a presence in one of the cities you want to move to, then see if a transfer is feasible. You could also include smaller towns that are nearby as transfer options
Good advice. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 793 times
So I find it funny that they don't want to hire anyone not from the area, yet most the business owners are not from there themself. Also, this only leads to more people waiting until they retire to move there. This encourages more retiree people guaranteed to vote against every tax increase that otherwise helps the community. We own a company in another state we were going to sell before moving to the Asheville area. Now we have decided to expand our business to the area. We will potentially transfere employees that know what they are doing instead of hiring in the area. And ultimately as we gain customers we will be taking jobs from the locals. All though this may hinder the area to some small degree, it's the best way for us to make the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.