Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 AM

13 posts, read 14,856 times

Advertisements

I'm in a predicament. I have grown up in San Diego for my short 22 years of existence. I love this place and cannot seem to leave.

Granted, I have been across the globe, traveling to 6/7 continents and many countries, but I cannot seem to move out of this beautiful city for longer than 2 months.

My problem is that I have just graduated college and have the opportunity to move to any city I want to. My resume and prior experience has given me the chance to obtain jobs in almost every major city. The thing is, I do not know if I want to leave San Diego. I hate being stagnant (thus my love for traveling), and I do not want to live a typical life in the same city.

Note that even though I have lived in San Diego for my entire life, I did move away from my parents for college.

I'm not sure! Boston seems cool, but too cold. Austin appears similar, but trailing behind San Diego. Los Angeles is exciting, but I do not know if it is worth the pollution/insanity. Denver is chill, but may be too chilly.

I love GREAT weather, beautiful people, and entertainment.
I would hate to regret not trying something new.

...but right now, it seems like anything new (for the long term) would never compare to San Diego.

Any suggestions of cool cities? Idk! :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 05:29 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Why are you comparing San Diego to other cities when desiring a change when it's all you really know? Try something different and move to a city where you can perhaps advance your career quickly and experience a different way of life you may grow to appreciate as much or even more than San Diego. If not, it's always there to move back to. The hot cities for millennials (twenty-somethings) now are places like Boston, Washington DC, Austin, Atlanta, Seattle, Denver and Minneapolis where the economies/job markets are thriving. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Most people who I knew that were actually born and raised San Diegans were clamoring to leave, either to other California cities (Los Angeles, San Francisco/Bay) or to a major city like NYC.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 AM

96 posts, read 135,849 times
There's really nothing wrong with staying in San Diego if you like it. I wouldn't move unless you're genuinely excited to go to the new place. You might find that at some point in the future, you may be more ready to move for a specific job, grad school or other opportunity. Or, you may stay in San Diego and continue loving it! Living in your home city doesn't mean that you're limiting yourself (and I say this as someone who has lived in 7 states).

Another, completely opposite idea is to consider working abroad for a few years. As long as it is relevant to your career, your age is a great time to take that leap. It gets much harder to move to another country if/when you get into a serious relationship, have children, aging parents, etc.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,024 times
I lived in SD for a while, and it seemed like many locals were connived that SD is some sort of paradise that they would never leave (self-appointed America's finest city). San Diego is indeed a great place to live, but there are other great places to live too! There might even be some places that you would like better; or maybe not. Even if you left and came back it would make you a more well-rounded person, and allow you to put things into perspective by seeing the really great things and flaws about SD (yes, SD has some negative aspects!).

As far as finding a place to live, you need to ask yourself what you want in a city. Outdoor activities? Urban lifestyle? Party atmosphere? And don't be afraid of cold weather cities. You will adapt to the climate. Many of the best cities are in colder climates!

I will say that if you're going to make the move you should do it now why you're young and not tied down.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 08-04-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgw99 View Post
Another, completely opposite idea is to consider working abroad for a few years. As long as it is relevant to your career, your age is a great time to take that leap. It gets much harder to move to another country if/when you get into a serious relationship, have children, aging parents, etc.
I enthusiastically second this idea. Living abroad gives you a different and more balanced view of the US, looks good on your resume, and provides endless stories in your dotage :-) The prospect can be a bit daunting (visas, putting belongings in storage, etc etc) but once you get past that you'll see that you're embarking on something that will, hopefully, provide happy memories for the rest of your life. I moved to New Zealand when I was 30, leaving a place that was desirable and comfortable (Chapel Hill NC). Some negatives, to be sure, but overall, a terrific thing to do (and a great way to sit out most of Reagan's first term!)

Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
For what it's worth...

In the last five years, I've lived in Cincinnati, Silicon Valley, Orange County, Los Angeles, the Netherlands, and San Diego. I guess I'm a serial mover.

San Diego has been without a doubt my least favorite. I haven't "got" the vibe and haven't liked a lot of the locals that I've met. I pay the same to live in this giant sprawly beach town that I can pay to live in a nearby, robust, alpha world city, Los Angeles (and I count OC, Inland Empire, and Ventura County as being in the L.A. sphere of influence, too.)

Get out and see the world. You're younger than even I am and, well, YOLO. If you want to return to San Diego, it'll always be there.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 AM

4,510 posts, read 4,042,401 times
Could try somewhere urban if you want to take San Diego off the list.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 PM

13 posts, read 14,856 times
Yeah, I think I'm actually going to take this leap.

With that, what are fun & temperate cities?

I'm considering Boston and D.C.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:30 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,951,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuskevin View Post
I'm in a predicament. I have grown up in San Diego for my short 22 years of existence. I love this place and cannot seem to leave.

Granted, I have been across the globe, traveling to 6/7 continents and many countries, but I cannot seem to move out of this beautiful city for longer than 2 months.

My problem is that I have just graduated college and have the opportunity to move to any city I want to. My resume and prior experience has given me the chance to obtain jobs in almost every major city. The thing is, I do not know if I want to leave San Diego. I hate being stagnant (thus my love for traveling), and I do not want to live a typical life in the same city.

Note that even though I have lived in San Diego for my entire life, I did move away from my parents for college.

I'm not sure! Boston seems cool, but too cold. Austin appears similar, but trailing behind San Diego. Los Angeles is exciting, but I do not know if it is worth the pollution/insanity. Denver is chill, but may be too chilly.

I love GREAT weather, beautiful people, and entertainment.
I would hate to regret not trying something new.

...but right now, it seems like anything new (for the long term) would never compare to San Diego.

Any suggestions of cool cities? Idk! :/
I'd simply say Los Angeles, given that you stated that you like entertainment, it has the same great weather as San Diego, and given that you like traveling, LA features LAX, a global destination hub that flies to six continents. That said, this only applies for the basin, Orange County, parts of the San Fernando Valley, and the San Gabriel Valley (Ventura is a bit too far from the action unless if you like antiques). And you can always come home via a freeway, bus, or train.

Based on your list, I'd go with anything you desire except Boston. Unfortunately, while Boston summers aren't too bad, those are interspersed with occassional rain, about as much or more than in a SoCal winter. I'd pick San Francisco over Boston just due to your rambling about the weather since SF seems to offer everything Boston has, plus more. It would still be a short flight back home via the BART-connected airport. Winters/part of spring will give you the "Wish you were here" thought in an instant after the first snow. DC is more temperate, though summers are oppressive at times (not as bad as the Deep South, but you'll feel it) and while winter is colder than your area, it does feature frequent thaws and the majority of the season has no snow on the ground. I work in the DC area, and there's always plenty to do, both in town and nearby.

Of course, what will play a big influence is the pay/benefits that will be offered with your job, though it may help to apply in a location where you want to settle down, and then, for an appropriate salary. $100,000 will go a lot further in Denver than it will in the LA area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.