Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:34 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,419,204 times

Advertisements

As a recent college grad looking for a change in scenery, what suggestions/advice can people provide on relocating? Personally, I have found that employers don't take an application seriously if the candidate does not currently reside where the job is posted. Is this primarily true, or does it depend more on the company, industry/field, level of qualification (experienced vs. entry level) etc.?

And as a recent college graduate, should I even worry about relocating? Should I just stay at home and save money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,373,077 times
It will be very hard to find a job without being there first, especially as a recent college grad. How much money do you have saved up now? Many people save up money (10 grand or more) and move without a job. I've done it several times, has always worked out.

There's people who won't do the whole move without a job thing, but the reality is that you'll be stuck where you're at if you don't take that risk.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:41 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,774,502 times
Most employers only hire local applicants unless the position is for management or unless you have a skill that is highly in demand. I have been trying to move from OKC to Dallas for over a year now with little success. As soon as I post my resume on job sites though I get flooded with calls from employers here in OKC so it isn't that I am not marketable. It's that Dallas employers see an OKC address on my resume and immediately toss it out. Employers assume I will want paid relocation so I am immediately dismissed. I many times say I will relocate at my own expense under my address and that sometimes gets me a little farther, but companies see hiring somebody from out of state as being higher risk so if there is somebody local qualified, the local candidate will always get the job. Basically, you have three options.

1. Luck out and get an employer that offers relocation to entry-level applicants. These are rare but they do exist.
2. Lie about your address. When your employer asks about it, tell them you are moving to the city regardless of the job and that is the address you will be living. It helps if you use the address of somebody you know
3. Save up $15 grand and move without a job

I am going to have to go with option 3 myself if I am to ever get out of OKC. Unfortunately when you are crippled by a car payment, saving up $15 grand is not easy and I am probably at least 3-5 years away.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:51 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,155,179 times
I'm in the same boat currently and I have almost 10 years of experience (though I'm not a Manager).

I've only been looking for about a month but my skills are fairly easily transferable to many different industries, and as such I should always be able to find work. However, I too am finding that so far none of my applications to jobs out of state are getting bites, and in some cases I'm a paper slam-dunk for the role (experience matches or exceeds their requirements). I am starting to wonder if it's because of my out-of-state address on my resume. In my cover letters I always include a line explaining that I'm willing to move, but I'm starting to wonder if they even get to my cover letter before tossing my application out the window.

I'd relocate first BUT I have a wife and kids and do not wish to a.) be away from them long, or b.) put that kind of financial pressure on our family. I'd love to hear more advice on this from people who have been in a similar situation. Last time I moved I moved before I found work, but it was not fun living with the in-laws in the interim!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:59 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,774,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm in the same boat currently and I have almost 10 years of experience (though I'm not a Manager).

I've only been looking for about a month but my skills are fairly easily transferable to many different industries, and as such I should always be able to find work. However, I too am finding that so far none of my applications to jobs out of state are getting bites, and in some cases I'm a paper slam-dunk for the role (experience matches or exceeds their requirements). I am starting to wonder if it's because of my out-of-state address on my resume. In my cover letters I always include a line explaining that I'm willing to move, but I'm starting to wonder if they even get to my cover letter before tossing my application out the window.
The most important part is getting past their electronic filter. A lot of times, if you have an out of state address an actual person will never see your resume because the software the company uses will filter it out. Once you actually speak to a person, you have to convey confidence that you are moving by a certain date with or without the job. Any cracks in that confidence will kill your chances. It's important to convey that you already have living arrangements lined up in your new city. It also helps if you work with temp agencies as they are usually more willing to work with non-local applicants than direct hires. If that cannot be done, then moving without a job is probably your only option.

I too have applied for jobs that on paper I was a perfect match for but because I live in OKC and not DFW I am not even given a chance.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:44 PM

This is super insightful. I plan on going to law school in a few years, so that may be the time for me to relocate. I don't want to take the risk of moving without a job. I've been on the job market for 7.5 months, so it seems like a huge risk to move somewhere without a job.

A strategy I have been using is applying for jobs with corporations and agencies that have locations throughout the country which have branches in St. Louis. I figured if I do well at the St. Louis office for a few years then maybe if a position opens up elsewhere I'd be considered for that role. Does that seem like a decent strategy?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,373,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
This is super insightful. I plan on going to law school in a few years, so that may be the time for me to relocate. I don't want to take the risk of moving without a job. I've been on the job market for 7.5 months, so it seems like a huge risk to move somewhere without a job.

A strategy I have been using is applying for jobs with corporations and agencies that have locations throughout the country which have branches in St. Louis. I figured if I do well at the St. Louis office for a few years then maybe if a position opens up elsewhere I'd be considered for that role. Does that seem like a decent strategy?
That is an excellent strategy. Get your experience in St. Louis, and use it to move to somewhere bigger/more expensive down the line.

I actually feel like I've been handed a gift, as I'm about to move to the city of my choice with a good paying job in hand. This is coming from someone who has always moved without a job, so it's unusual for me.

If you know what you're doing, moving without a job isn't a huge risk though.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That is an excellent strategy. Get your experience in St. Louis, and use it to move to somewhere bigger/more expensive down the line.

I actually feel like I've been handed a gift, as I'm about to move to the city of my choice with a good paying job in hand. This is coming from someone who has always moved without a job, so it's unusual for me.

If you know what you're doing, moving without a job isn't a huge risk though.
Problem for me is that I wouldn't know what I'm doing at all haha.

I was sen a message about setting up a P.O. box in a city and listing that as your address. Seems like an interesting strategy

Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,295,320 times
I am a 40 year old just finishing my Master's degree and living overseas in the UK.

Coming back to the US in 4 weeks, and wanting to find a job in Coastal Virginia or New England. I've applied to so many jobs but haven't heard a thing. I'm thinking about just putting a local address on my resume from now on in...

Old 08-09-2015, 11:46 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,539,779 times
What kind of job are you looking for in Coastal VA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.